Go Back   GeekChat! > BASS GUITAR > Amplification

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11.19.06, 11:36 AM

Crank is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a new preamp

My rig is so willy-nilly right now i'm not even going to go into it yet. I'm peicing things together as i go, but i've got a pretty good idea of what i want it to be in the near future. For now, i'm looking for a new preamp. I currently have an ampeg svt III and a crown xls 402. I'm just using the preamp out on the ampeg so it's really just a 2-space heavy as s*** preamp. I want to get something new.
I've been looking at the David Eden wp-100 pretty intently, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to afford it. Does anyone else use a pre/power amp rig? Any suggestions on another preamp to use? Thanks all.

Old 11.20.06, 5:26 PM

NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
I've been using a Peavey Pro Bass 1000 since the late 80's and really see no need to change to anything else. Has all the controls I've ever needed and hasn't let me down.

Good luck on your tone quest!
Old 11.20.06, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFroBro
I've been using a Peavey Pro Bass 1000 since the late 80's and really see no need to change to anything else. Has all the controls I've ever needed and hasn't let me down.

Good luck on your tone quest!
Thanks man. I know peaveys are supposed to last forever, but i'm just not sure if it's the tone i'm looking for. To be honest with you though i really haven't tried that many preamps before so i'll def dive them a shot.
All the companies i'm looking into right now have something different to offer, from mesa to eden, ashdown to ampeg. I'm so confused right now, plus it's rare that you can actually try out a preamp without spending 15 minutes in a guitar store hooking it up.
Old 11.28.06, 3:05 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
Eden has great stuff

I personally LOVE Ampeg amps (own 2) and for preamps have loved the Alembic F2B

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 11.28.06, 7:21 AM

FreCKo is an unknown quantity at this point
if you like the svt3, stick with ampeg. Trade it for an ampeg preamp and you're good to go
Old 11.28.06, 10:32 AM

MrZosoNP is an unknown quantity at this point
if you like the sound of your bass and your hands, I can't recomend the Sansamp RBI enough! I love it. A great bass player in my area uses one and he turned me on to it. I use that into a qsc 850 power amp. It takes pedals well if you like playing with fuzz. the drive built in is decent if you wanna just grit it up a little. Nice direct out too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phrygia80
You cant polish a turd and you cant amplify one either.
nickphaneuf.com

my myspace

my compy rig (UPDATED)

some of my pedals
Old 11.28.06, 11:35 AM

Thanks alot guys, i appreciate the response.
I absolutely love the ampeg i have now. I'm such an ampeg freak it's crazy. The thing is just too heavy for what i need it for. The problem is that the head is a little beat up and only the bright input works right now (i haven't gotten around to replacing the normal one) so if i try and sell it i won't get much. I'm sure i'll just keep the ampeg, but i want to try something new. i love the eden, but i don't think i can afford it right now. I'll try some of the things you guys have suggested, hopefully i'll find something i like.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrZosoNP
if you like the sound of your bass and your hands, I can't recomend the Sansamp RBI enough! I love it. A great bass player in my area uses one and he turned me on to it. I use that into a qsc 850 power amp. It takes pedals well if you like playing with fuzz. the drive built in is decent if you wanna just grit it up a little. Nice direct out too.
That sounds pretty cool. I use an MIJ jazz bass right now and i looooooooove fender tones. i've also been working on my right hand for the past while and i'm pretty happy with it. (now the left needs work to keep up) so i'll see if i can find that in a store somewhere.