Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.10.11, 4:43 PM

drew123 is on a distinguished road
Looking for an amp for post-punk

Ok, so i'm looking for a new amp.

I mostly play post-punk, Gang of Four, Wire, Bauhaus, Killing Joke etc. but I also play some noise-rock stuff, Sonic Youth, Melvins etc.

I'm not too concerned about solid state vs. tube, and I honestly think solid state would be better for what i'm playing. I'm also not too concerned about built in effects, as long as the amp takes pedals well. I need something with fairly high wattage, probably 80w or more for a solid state amp.

I live in the UK, and I'm looking at spending somewhere in the region of £250-350.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 03.11.11, 12:09 PM

michael.flavor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to michael.flavor
Used JC-120? Not sure what their going prices are in the UK.
Old 03.11.11, 12:16 PM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
You could try a laney gc80(a). They take pedals good as long as you put them in the effects loop. I'm not sure about the conversion rate but I know the go for around $200 in the U.S. If you get the Gc80a you also get the option to add an acoustic elec in the mix as it has two preamps, one for Acoustic and the other for electric. The acoustic side when set right can produce a very good clean electric sound with the mid position on a Humbucker guitar.

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 03.11.11, 1:51 PM

arnoldtheduck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to arnoldtheduck
Something by Fender, or a Vox AC30 maybe. I have an Orange Thunder 30 and the clean channel is perfect for that kind of thing. If that fails me, I have a Roland JC-77, which is awesome and takes pedals awesomely, but if you are looking to gig you might want to go for the 120.

Last edited by arnoldtheduck; 03.12.11 at 10:51 AM. Reason: My 666th post.
Old 03.11.11, 7:08 PM

mmasonmusic is on a distinguished road
Now Gang of Four are not the entirety of the post-punk movement, but he used:

Roland Jazz Chors JC-120 or JC-77 or another solid state amp one with "transistors"

-or-

Peavey Classic 50 Combo or Blackstar Artisan 30

Esentially something that can be clean and sharp.

Andy Gill also used lace sensor pick-ups.

Let it be said, I don't think Andy's magic is in his guitar tone, but his playing.

For the noise rock you'd probably need a really good distortion pedal and you could probably merge the two. They make much better amp like distortion pedals now than when the noise rockers were around with their behemoth stack amps.

Last edited by mmasonmusic; 03.14.11 at 5:02 PM.
Old 03.13.11, 4:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try them out
Old 03.14.11, 5:15 PM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
How much do Hot Rod deluxe's go for in the UK? If you can get one for a good price it could be good. I used to play in a French post-punk band and I used a variety of different amps on tour with that band - the best was probably a Twin which was loud, clean, clear and punchy. I used Hot Rods at some gigs and they were great too. The worst was probably a Vox AC15 because it just couldn't keep and turned to mud.

Also, you're right that it doesn't need to be a tube amp for these kinds of sounds, but if you're also into Sonic Youth, Melvins etc I think you're better off with a tube amp. The band I was playing with had a bit of an SY-esque noise element too so the tube amps really helped with that. mmasonmusic is right about the early Peavey Classic amps - well worth a look and they're usually cheap too. Are there any second shops near you? If so, don't be afraid to go with something obscure you haven't heard of before - there are a lot of hidden gems that could really rock with post punk that won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Old 03.15.11, 8:03 PM

skodt dePram is an unknown quantity at this point
Jazz Chorus is a great solid state, but I feel like any tube amp would take pedals better. Especially for the sort of music you play. A bit of power tube distortion has gang of four & sonic youth written all over it.

As opposed to wattage, what volume are you looking for? What is the size of the venues you play and how loud do you like to have your amp cranked?

Orange Tiny Terror? I think that's in your price range, and it sounds like Heaven.
Hamer SATF (burstbuckers #1 & #2) -> throbak stone bender fuzz/od -> EH Memory Toy -> Bugera 1960 -> homemade 412 w/V30s.
Old 03.16.11, 10:14 AM

Only really small venues, would the tiny terror be loud enough without being cranked to the max?
Old 03.16.11, 10:18 AM

arnoldtheduck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to arnoldtheduck
The Roland Jazz Chorus amps go loud, and sound great for Joy Division-esque stuff, but agreed, you'll never get enough distortion without a pedal. The Peavey Classic amps are fantastic as mentioned above.
Old 03.16.11, 1:47 PM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew123 View Post
Only really small venues, would the tiny terror be loud enough without being cranked to the max?
It really depends on how loud your band is and how dirty you like your tone. With the band I was talking about above I couldn't use low wattage amps at all. I used a Marshall Haze for a gig once too - really nice tone but it just couldn't keep up. Usually, post-punk stuff needs quite a bit of headroom, but then again there are no rules and squashy dirty tone may really work for your band/songs.
Old 03.16.11, 6:34 PM

skodt dePram is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess it depends where you're playing. When I lived in Ohio in the '90s, you *had* to have a half-stack. Here in Chicago, you can't turn a half-stack to "1."

A tiny terror stays clean to about halfway, longer if you re-tube. You can crank it and stay clean if you remember your guitar has knobs, too (they're not just there to look at). It's twice as loud as any other 15W all tube head.

Pretty much any club has a PA built for mic-ing amps & drums, and a TT will still give a drummer fits when cranked in a room through one or more 12s ...
Hamer SATF (burstbuckers #1 & #2) -> throbak stone bender fuzz/od -> EH Memory Toy -> Bugera 1960 -> homemade 412 w/V30s.