Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.17.07, 6:23 PM

adamthemute is an unknown quantity at this point
Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabs

I currently have a Marshall 4x12 JCM 900 Lead 1960 cabinet. I was never blown away by the tone, but it could be the head I'm using.

Anyways, there's a cheap Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab for sale in my area. I'm wondering if there's any huge difference between the 2 cabs or if there's some Mesa enthusiasts that would care to share with me the wonders of the Mesa Boogie.

Last edited by adamthemute; 05.18.07 at 11:13 AM.

Old 05.18.07, 1:31 PM

mesaboogie6l6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mesaboogie6l6
I've tried Marshall cabs with my amp, it doesn't handle the low end very good at all.

It also depends on what speakers are in the cab, either way, look at how Marshall cabs are built and look at Mesa's. Marshall makes me think of particle board and plastic when I hear their cabs. There may be a huge difference between them, and there may not, you won't know until you plug in and see for yourself.

What head are you using?
Gibson Explorer, Mesa Mark III Series 300 (Coliseum), Mesa 4x12 standard slant and straight with V30, Boss TU-2, NS-2, CH-1, Aphex guitar Exciter, Monster Cables, D'addario EXL140 strings, Jim Dunlop straplocks, Jim Dunlop JazzIII picks, Eurotubes supplied by JJ Electronics, Furman PL plus II
Old 05.18.07, 2:31 PM

Supergrunged is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Supergrunged
Depends on the cab. The vintage ones have the top as an open back. They either used EVM200s or Celestion C90s. The newer ones I prefer. Oversized with vintage 30s. Mesas are built better in my opinion though. Marshalls are great, but you're right when they seem very bland. It all goes with your tastes though. Try the cab out if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.
Old 05.18.07, 7:53 PM

adamthemute is an unknown quantity at this point
The guy hasn't responded back so I'm not 100% sure what model the Mesa cab is. Looking at Ebay prices, they aren't that expensive anyways.

I'm using a Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100V head. I haven't tried any other heads with the Marshall cab, so the kind of bland tone may mostly be from the head (?).

I'm into heavier stuff like Isis and Callisto, post-rock. ideally I'd like a Sunn Model T or first gen Mesa Double Rect heads but well...kinda pricey.
Old 05.18.07, 8:44 PM

Good&Loud is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by adamthemute
I'm using a Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100V head. I haven't tried any other heads with the Marshall cab, so the kind of bland tone may mostly be from the head (?).
The Marshall Cab may not be the Best, but sure the problem is the Valvestate.
They don't sound good, whatever the Cab you're playing.

IMO, it would be a much better upgrade for you, to get another Head.

And for you to get a better Amp than a Valvestate, it doesn't have to be something very expensive like a Mesa Retc.

Even a JCM900 will sound much better.

Laneys, VH, GH Series, not very expensive, and great sounds for Heavy Music.
Old 06.03.07, 10:46 PM

lobster is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to own a Mesa 4-12 cab, and now I am using a Marshall 2-12. To my ears, there isn't a major difference, but the Marshall I'm using (DSL 100) definitely sounds a little better through the Marshall speaker. I don't know why, but it just sounds clearer and more pure.

I'm beginning to believe more and more that it's best to match amps with the same brand of speakers.

But the best advice is to always trust your own ears. Go to the store and test the crap out of them. Don't be timid, it's your money so you have a right to do exaustive research.
Old 06.04.07, 9:01 AM

hairychris444 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you haven't done so already make sure that you have V30s loaded in the Marshall. Should be a cheaper option over buying a new cab.

The difference compared to the G12T-75s is huge.

This'll get rid of the 'scratchy' sound but I can't say that the Valvestate is the best either.

Blackmachine B7 Camphor Burl w/BKPs
Blackmachine B2 Snakewood w/BKPs
Boss NS-2/Ibanez TS-9 (****ogman 808 Mod)/Ibanez AD-9/Boss TU-2/
Diezel Einstein Prototype
-> Framus Dragon 4x12

+ Lots of other crap is sitting around my flat!

I make noises using this stuff
Old 06.05.07, 6:12 PM

falldowngoboom4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mesa hands sown. If I get a new amp that is a half stack it will be a Peavey Windsor and a Mesa Recto 4X12.
**** did the original poster quote himself? Hotdamn!
Originally posted by Ambiance
hire a hobo to push them for you
Old 06.05.07, 7:48 PM

I'd say get the new head first. To be honest, thats a decent cab, though I'm glad I got rid of mine, but I think a new head is in order for you. Seriously, you want a Duel Recto, nows the time to get them, because the 2 channel Duels are going up in price.

Quote:
Old 06.05.07, 8:50 PM

mesadualrec1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm also thinking about trading in my Marshall 1960a cab for a Mesa cab loaded with V30's. Some people on this site told me V30's are the speaker to get for metal.

However I don't think you should be worried about the cab right now. It would be smarter to get a new head first.
Old 06.06.07, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Supergrunged
I'd say get the new head first.
+98765432123456789
Quote:
Originally posted by Supergrunged
To be honest, thats a decent cab, though I'm glad I got rid of mine, but I think a new head is in order for you. Seriously, you want a Duel Recto, nows the time to get them, because the 2 channel Duels are going up in price.
Even if he doesn't have the $ for a Dual Recto Head, get a Single, or a .05 Caliber, or a JCM900, anything is better than a Valvestate.
Laneys are good choices, affordable, very Good Sound and reliable.
Old 06.06.07, 7:44 AM

AsWeDecay is an unknown quantity at this point
here's what i've SEEN.... (not my opinion)

I have seen MORE Marshall Amps on MESA cabs than i have seen Mesa Amps on Marshall cabs.

My OPINION is that MESA makes a better cab if the speakers are Equal (v-30's).

Guitars: 06 H.E.L. (me) sepele/maple neckthru interceptor, emg 81/85.
04 Samick Cobra, Duncan Mustains
85 Hamer Scarab, Tung oil mahagony, EMG 81/81, Kahler Pro
65 Gibson SG Standard, JB/Jazz (idiot previous owner took off meastro and added stop tail.. AAARRGGG)
BC Rich NJNT Warlock, Black, Stock

At BCR Music in Lemoyne, PA:
Walnut/Maple Interceptor, NT/ST, Flying bat inlays, EMG KFK set.

Waiting for rub out::
New Design- Valkyrie, Maple neckthru, sapele wings,flamed maple tops, Mustain Sig. Duncans, Hipsot Baby Grand Bridge with trans cherry blackburst lacquer and klingon inlays!

In the paint booth:
Valkyrie Bass: 5 piece maple neckthru, sapele wings, flame maple top, Bolivian Rosewood fretboard with flying bat inlays, Badass bridge, Duncan Musicman pup & 3 way active controls.

On the bench:
Asp: SG inspired, 100% sapele neckthru, Bolivian rosewood fretboard with Chevy bowtie inlays.
Old 06.06.07, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AsWeDecay
here's what i've SEEN.... (not my opinion)

I have seen MORE Marshall Amps on MESA cabs than i have seen Mesa Amps on Marshall cabs.

My OPINION is that MESA makes a better cab if the speakers are Equal (v-30's).
You're right. Probably Mesa make better Cabs.

But the point is, with a Valvestate, SURE the problem ISN'T the 1960 Marshal Cab.

You can plug THE BEST Cab in the World. A Valvestate still sounds like a Valvestate...

And when you say "MORE Marshall Amps on MESA cabs ", probably they're "MORE GOOD MARSHALL TUBE AMPS on MESA cabs ".
Old 06.06.07, 10:33 AM

My drummer is selling the Laney GH50L head that I sold him. I asked him how much, he said he'd tak 350 for it. PM me if you're interested. I can hook it up easily. If not, it's going on ebay

I used this head as a backup for my recto, and pretty much it's close to a marshall clone with an overkill switch

Quote:
Old 06.06.07, 12:45 PM

Malcolm203 is an unknown quantity at this point
The cab you have is great, especially for the sound you're trying to achieve. I always thought the gt-12s gave such a clear, punchy sound.

Upgrade the head first. I liked the DSL's and even most JCM900s will be a monster upgrade (Dual Recto's are nice, but they weren't for me).

What guitar are you using?

Go tube first, then, if you're still not getting your sound, you can go a few routes:

1. Change the tubes
2. Guitar - change either it or the pickups
3. Change the cabinet/speakers.