Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.03.09, 4:13 PM

Blackz is on a distinguished road
New Head? JCM 800 vs JVM 410

Hey guys new to the boards im going to buy a new head in May and im stuck in between the Marshall JCM 800 and the JVM 410.

The JCM seems to have more "power" from what iv heard but the JVM has more options and is cheeper. But i heard about "Voodoo Amps" who do mods for the JCM 800 to give it some effects (distortion ect) this is ment to make it "Sick". But over all that would cost me over £1200 (+P&P). But the JVM only £850.

Any ideas guys? btw this is the first head im buying.

cheers.

Old 03.03.09, 6:40 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackz View Post
But i heard about "Voodoo Amps" who do mods for the JCM 800 to give it some effects (distortion ect) this is ment to make it "Sick".
A re-issue JCM 800? The old ones are legendary for their natural distortion. That's why you buy one. You need to ask yourself how loud you really are going to play? A JCM 800 is Lear Jet loud in its sweet spot. There is no reason to have one if you are going to play it on 2. Sometimes techs add another gain stage to them, but a good OD pedal and dirt box will drive them insanely at full volume too. If you are still considering a JCM 800, I would suggest getting an old one. They are not that expensive.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 03.03.09, 11:03 PM

jm417 is on a distinguished road
I have a JCM 800 2204 50 watt with Voodoo Amps mods. I'm not 100% sure which level of modification it has to it. I would guess standard since I haven'thad it apart to check the transformers. It also has a gain boost switch instead of the low input (which I don't really like), Cream and Bottom controls on the back, and an extra gain stage. It sounds great for dirt sounds but it has absolutely no cleans anymore. The mods took care of that. Paid $700 for it. And its already been broken in. You can find good deals If you look around and are patient. Honestly, if you want a new amp, I would stay away from the reissue JCM because they tend to cost 20% or so more than an original will and sounds pretty much the same.
Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville
Old 03.04.09, 7:57 AM

republic is on a distinguished road
the JCM is a great amp but its not versatile. this isnt a bad thing though as it is an excellent one trick pony. i have the same amp as JM417 but without the mods. its quite an investment to buy a JCM and then pay more for it to be tricked out when you can probably find that "trick" in another amp, possibly for less (not knocking your mods JM417, but since its Blackz' first head id say to play an amp for whats its originally meant to do)
also, the JCM takes pedals very well when being pushed on the low input. is this jives then having a JCM on hand is always a good as they have great resale value; there are always players looking for them (the old ones, at least)

good luck

CURRENT RIG:
Telecasters->Fullton Clyde Wah->MXR Phase 90 (r28 mod)->Fulltone Fulldrive2->Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808->->Boss GE7 EQ->MXR Stereo Tremolo->Boss TU-2 Tuner->Boss Giga Delay->Crate V3112

AMPS
1959(?) Airline-Montgomery Ward
1967 Univox-Lafayette
1972 Fender Twin Reverb
1984 Marshall JCM 800 (2204)
1998 Fender Ultimate Chorus
2003 Crate V3112
Old 03.04.09, 12:10 PM

JJ321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JJ321
Personally, I would go for the JVM. The JCM800 is a great sounding amp, but if you don't have a place to really crank it up, you're not going to be utilizing it to it's fullest. The JVM will sound good at normal volumes. Plus, you can get the high gain JCM800 sound out of the JVM and a whole lot more. If I wasn't going in a completely different direction with my gear, the JVM would be at or near the top of my list of amps.

My New Rig
Pics
Old 03.04.09, 2:42 PM

cosmiqphuz is on a distinguished road
The JCM 800 (2204 and 2203) is a low gain amp that will need to be played extremely loud to get saturated overdrive. However, I think it has much more balls than the JVM. It's also very good at the "in between" tones (not overdriven, but not clean either).

The JVM has much more gain as well as multiple channels with a sparkling clean channel (compared to the JCM 800). However, it's lacking in the balls department and doesn't exactly excel at every tone it can do. But, it is stage friendly and flexible.

You can use an overdrive pedal with the JCM 800 for high gain stuff. And to expand the tones of the JCM, you can use different guitars (humbuckers, single coils). Also, since the JCM doesn't have channel switching, learning to use the volume knob on your guitar will help alot as well.

Generally, if you play more modern stuff and metal (with some classic rock), I'd say go JVM. If you play more classic rock (with some heavier stuff), get the JCM.

If you are still stuck in the middle, I'd recommend the Vintage Modern. It's a good compromise between the JCM and JVM with just a slight lean towards the classic rock direction.
Old 03.04.09, 2:52 PM

Also, I forgot to mention the JCM 2000 (DSL). It's a good compromise between the JCM and JVM with a slight lean towards modern/high gain.
Old 03.04.09, 5:01 PM

thanks for all the replys guys. Just some quick Questions. Does the JCM have a good clean tone? because on of my favorit bands (Story Of The Year) Use the JCM 800 for there Distortion and a Line6 Flextone III for cleans.

I Think i might be edging towards the JVM because im going to mostly be using it in my room and it should be loud enough for a stage? But im still thinking to myself, that i might regreat to as the JCM 800 seems to be the favorit to alot of bands, artists and jsut people in genral.

Cheers.
Old 03.04.09, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiqphuz View Post
Also, I forgot to mention the JCM 2000 (DSL). It's a good compromise between the JCM and JVM with a slight lean towards modern/high gain.
After looking at this amp and see reviews this almost looks perfect if it has the JVM 800 sound. Anymore i should know before buying?

cheers.
Old 03.04.09, 5:51 PM

Quote:
thanks for all the replys guys. Just some quick Questions. Does the JCM have a good clean tone? because on of my favorit bands (Story Of The Year) Use the JCM 800 for there Distortion and a Line6 Flextone III for cleans.

I Think i might be edging towards the JVM because im going to mostly be using it in my room and it should be loud enough for a stage? But im still thinking to myself, that i might regreat to as the JCM 800 seems to be the favorit to alot of bands, artists and jsut people in genral.

Cheers.
1) Depends on what you mean by clean. It will clean up but is not Fender clean.

2) It sounds like you don't need either amp. Check out some tube amps in the 15-30 watt range. Really, go to a store and play a few. You don't need a monster JCM for the bedroom or small clubs. I know they look cool, but you will have to get a power brake if you buy one. You will also soon get tired of transporting it.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 03.04.09, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
1) Depends on what you mean by clean. It will clean up but is not Fender clean.

2) It sounds like you don't need either amp. Check out some tube amps in the 15-30 watt range. Really, go to a store and play a few. You don't need a monster JCM for the bedroom or small clubs. I know they look cool, but you will have to get a power brake if you buy one. You will also soon get tired of transporting it.
I guess your right there, after considering that iv looking up this amp..

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-dsl50/282

Marshall DSL50 JCM 2000 50watt amp.

Do you still think this is a good choice?

ta.
Old 03.04.09, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I guess your right there, after considering that iv looking up this amp..

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-dsl50/282

Marshall DSL50 JCM 2000 50watt amp.

Do you still think this is a good choice?

ta.

Still pretty damn big and loud. Are you stuck on a large head/cab setup? You should probably be considering a combo amp. My advice would be to get something small like an Epi VJ or something like it and a good OD and distortion pedal. You won't spend a lot of money, you can probably get the sound you want a lower volume, it's loud enough to rehearse with, and later on when you truely know what you need and want you will have the experience and where with all to get it. Don't go out and spend a lot of money on a sexy big something that you will find out quickly that is inappropriate for your current situation.

Old 03.04.09, 7:08 PM

jm417 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, mine had the mods in it already when I got it. I'm thinking about taking it in to have the low input put back in and move the gain boost switch to the back.

Blackz, the single channel master volume JCM 800s (models 2204, 2203) don't really do cleans they just get less dirty. If you could find a used channel switching version JCM (2205, 2210 i think). I think those have clean channels.
Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville
Old 03.04.09, 9:06 PM

Yo Blackz,

If you are set on a head, this is my advice:

Judging by the amps you are looking at, my first suggestion would be a JCM 2000 (DSL). Make sure it is the DSL, the TSL has been known to have more issues with the transformers as well as having really thin tone. The DSL has very nice cleans, a "JCM 800" type channel, and a high gain channel (all footswitchable). This seems to cover all the sounds you're after. I've played a JCM 2000, it still didn't match the balls of the 800 but it's a lot closer than the JVM. Also, they are going real cheap now, you should try to grab one before it jacks up.

My second suggestion would be a JCM 800 2210 or 2205. These models have much more gain than the 2203 and 2204. They were made in response to so many people having their JCM 800's modified for more gain. Also, it has a clean channel which is footswitchable. These are also going real cheap because they are less desired than the 2203 and 2204. I've tried one and it sounded amazing.

If you're not so sure about getting a head, then take olddawg's advice. Otherwise, I think these two would be good for you.
Old 03.05.09, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
Still pretty damn big and loud. Are you stuck on a large head/cab setup? You should probably be considering a combo amp. My advice would be to get something small like an Epi VJ or something like it and a good OD and distortion pedal. You won't spend a lot of money, you can probably get the sound you want a lower volume, it's loud enough to rehearse with, and later on when you truely know what you need and want you will have the experience and where with all to get it. Don't go out and spend a lot of money on a sexy big something that you will find out quickly that is inappropriate for your current situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiqphuz View Post
Yo Blackz,

If you are set on a head, this is my advice:

Judging by the amps you are looking at, my first suggestion would be a JCM 2000 (DSL). Make sure it is the DSL, the TSL has been known to have more issues with the transformers as well as having really thin tone. The DSL has very nice cleans, a "JCM 800" type channel, and a high gain channel (all footswitchable). This seems to cover all the sounds you're after. I've played a JCM 2000, it still didn't match the balls of the 800 but it's a lot closer than the JVM. Also, they are going real cheap now, you should try to grab one before it jacks up.

My second suggestion would be a JCM 800 2210 or 2205. These models have much more gain than the 2203 and 2204. They were made in response to so many people having their JCM 800's modified for more gain. Also, it has a clean channel which is footswitchable. These are also going real cheap because they are less desired than the 2203 and 2204. I've tried one and it sounded amazing.

If you're not so sure about getting a head, then take olddawg's advice. Otherwise, I think these two would be good for you.

Thanks guys, As i am going to be playing live i think im going to go for the DSL50 or 100 JCM 2000, the only thing im worried about is the quality from what iv heard Tube amps only sound at there best when there high volume. Im going to be using it at low volume and at high.

Any words of advice?

ta.