Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Reply

Share/Bookmark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.27.06, 3:13 AM
mewithoutus's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 968
mewithoutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Peavey Classic 50 speaker ot question...

Ok, I have a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 and it has two speaker outputs, 8ohm and 16ohm. In the manual, it states that when both outs are being used, the impedence is 8 ohms. I was recoording today and when I got home, I decided to check on the tubes to see if they needed replacing (they do, they are over a year old AT LEAST), i noticed my speakers (the ones built into the combo) where plugged into the 16ohm output. i was recording with just the combos speakers, not an extension cab, so the impedence was 16 ohms. is that bad? would that affect the sound any? can I damage my amp that way? what output am i even supposed to have my speakers plugged into if im only using the combos speakers, 16 or 8 ohms?


thanks...
__________________
six bar phrase hey hey
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01.27.06, 6:51 PM
mewithoutus's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 968
mewithoutus is an unknown quantity at this point
bump!!!

please help!!!
__________________
six bar phrase hey hey
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.27.06, 7:27 PM
firewalk13's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 940
firewalk13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to firewalk13
I definitely don't know much but if four speakers are connected to the 16 ohm output they are getting 4 each so that should be okay right? I've never heard of speakers running on 2 ohms like they would be if it was plugged into 8 ohm output. should be ok, hope somebody can provide certainty for you.
__________________
Proud Member of the Peavey Family
My cat's breath smells like cat food

Good Deals W/: farpavillions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.27.06, 8:38 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Re: Peavey Classic 50 speaker ot question...

Quote:
Originally posted by mewithoutus
<SNIP>In the manual, it states that when both outs are being used, the impedence is 8 ohms. <SNIP>i noticed my speakers (the ones built into the combo) where plugged into the 16ohm output. i was recording with just the combos speakers, not an extension cab, so the impedence was 16 ohms. is that bad? would that affect the sound any? can I damage my amp that way? what output am i even supposed to have my speakers plugged into if im only using the combos speakers, 16 or 8 ohms?
The answer depends on the impedence of the speakers. Unfortunately I don't have a Peavey Classic 50 to hand so I can't check details (and won't be back online till Monday).

In general Amp Impedance must be less than or equal to Speaker impedence.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.27.06, 8:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 526
eastwood6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Peavey Classics are made to deliver a 16 ohm load to the stock speakers. This is true for a C30 and the C50 combo. The extension cab recommended by Peavey is a 16 ohm cab. The outputs are wired in parallel, so 2 16 ohm cabs (the internal speakers and an external cab) in parallel would be an 8 ohm load, as the manual says. Based on what you're told us, your amp should be fine just as it is.
__________________
"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

English novelist (1819 - 1880)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.27.06, 9:17 PM
mewithoutus's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 968
mewithoutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by eastwood6
Peavey Classics are made to deliver a 16 ohm load to the stock speakers. This is true for a C30 and the C50 combo. The extension cab recommended by Peavey is a 16 ohm cab. The outputs are wired in parallel, so 2 16 ohm cabs (the internal speakers and an external cab) in parallel would be an 8 ohm load, as the manual says. Based on what you're told us, your amp should be fine just as it is.

ah, thanks so much. im new to impedence and series and parralel, its kinda foreign to me. i just wanted to make sure im not gonna damage my speakers or amp. thanks so much.
__________________
six bar phrase hey hey
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.28.06, 9:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 526
eastwood6 is an unknown quantity at this point
You're welcome. One more thing - I noticed from your sig that you have a Marshall 1965 cab (I have two). Those are 8 ohm cabs, and therefore are not right to use with your Peavey as an extension cab. You might get lucky and not have any problems using it as an extension cab, or it may at some point damage your amp's output transformer. If you are serious about keeping the Peavey, I would recommend either having someone skilled re-wire your Marshall for 16 ohms, or trade/sell it for a cab with a 16 ohm impedence. Cheers.
__________________
"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

English novelist (1819 - 1880)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.28.06, 10:21 PM
mewithoutus's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 968
mewithoutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by eastwood6
You're welcome. One more thing - I noticed from your sig that you have a Marshall 1965 cab (I have two). Those are 8 ohm cabs, and therefore are not right to use with your Peavey as an extension cab. You might get lucky and not have any problems using it as an extension cab, or it may at some point damage your amp's output transformer. If you are serious about keeping the Peavey, I would recommend either having someone skilled re-wire your Marshall for 16 ohms, or trade/sell it for a cab with a 16 ohm impedence. Cheers.

i know that the marshall is 8 ohms. the wonderful thing about the classic 50 is that when both the speaker outs are engaged, they are 8 ohms.
__________________
six bar phrase hey hey
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.29.06, 10:13 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by mewithoutus
i know that the marshall is 8 ohms. the wonderful thing about the classic 50 is that when both the speaker outs are engaged, they are 8 ohms.
And so the load needs to be 8 ohms Total. 16ohm + 8 ohms (parallel) = 5 1/3 Ohms which is less than the 8 ohm minimum requirement. 16 ohms + 16 ohms (parallel) = 8 ohms which is O.K. and is essentially what eastwood6 was telling you before.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 | Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO
©1993 - 2014 GuitarGeek | All Rights Reserved