Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04.23.05, 8:06 PM

pilotbarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Soldano

I keep reading about that "Soldano" sound. Does anyone have a Soldano? Can anyone point me to some songs that feature one? What do they sound like?

Ive read good cleans, Marshall roar, and Recifier crunch all in one box (the Decatone). Really true?

Old 04.23.05, 11:46 PM

msi-brat is an unknown quantity at this point
british crunch meets american high gain would be my way of describing the soldano distortion.

you have kind off a saggier sound like you would get out of a recto... but with the glassy edge and globby gain of a jcm 800.

very good for really thick thrashy high gain sounds. but capable of being tamed for a lighter rock and roll crunch.

also, very dynamic. not your standard supercompressed compressed buzzy high gain nu metal tone.

the cleans are about average for a high end high gain tube top.. it's no fender bassman, but it's good non the less.

that's all just my opinion.. mostly based off of the almighty slo 100. take it with a grain of salt.

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; it's conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom? Why don't you support our troops?
Quote:
Originally posted by Greyskull
Hey, you there with the small amp and no volume - go mic yourself. *****. Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Old 04.24.05, 7:46 AM

GuitVinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Check also the H&K triamp
Old 04.24.05, 8:57 AM

john_uncw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to john_uncw Send a message via Yahoo to john_uncw
I always think of Warren Haynes lead sound as being the "soldano sound". However, I know he has probably used just about any amp you could name.

Pedals - boss OC-2 octave, big muff usa reissue, danelectro daddy-o overdrive, vox wah, zvex fuzz factory

Amps- Ampeg G-212, Laney GH100L head
Old 04.24.05, 9:50 AM

msi-brat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by GuitVinny
Check also the H&K triamp
i own a triamp and i wouldnt compare it to a soldano.

two totally different beasts.

the triamp sound's like a several different "separate" amps(i.e amp1a sounds like a fender, amp1b sounds like a vox, amp2a sounds like an orange, ect...)...
whilst the slo 100 i find to sound more like several amps "combined" or "simultaneously".

my 2 cents.

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; it's conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom? Why don't you support our troops?
Quote:
Originally posted by Greyskull
Hey, you there with the small amp and no volume - go mic yourself. *****. Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Old 04.24.05, 11:25 AM

definis is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to definis
if you've ever heard lostprophets, their lead guitarist plays a soldano.

also, i've got a yamaha that was made by mike soldano, basically the same sound. i think msi-brat gave a pretty good impression of what it can sound like.

imo, it definately has a tone all its own, however you can still dial in a fair amount of sounds from bands that don't use soldano amps.

**for sale**
Protone Thruster (boost pedal) $50 obo
Traynor ycv 40 2x10 amp (like new w/ eminence speaker upgrade) $550 obo

pm me for more info.
Old 04.24.05, 12:53 PM

nullin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nullin
Havnen't played the SLO, but I'll tell you my experience with the Decatone and Astroverb.

Decatone: Was thinking about saving up for this amp . . . until I played it. It was too buzzy for my taste. The clean was okay, not anything great. I thought it sounded like a Marshall w/ more buzz. Didn't think it did the "brutal" distortion ala Recto or Cobra. Maybe it's a good amp for $1500, but not for $2700. At least for me.

Astroverb: A cool little greasy 22 watt amp. Not versatile, very hard if not impossible to get a clean sound. But for AC/DC crunch and a cool hi-gain tone, a very cool amp. In the same sound range of the Decatone, but much more rational at around $900 (we had a used one for $600). If you're after a just a rock tone at nothing else (and don't need to kill people with volume), it's pretty cool at a pretty cool price.

Quote:
Originally posted by thee_dug
I can't wait until ICP's followers drink the ****ing Kool-Aid...
Old 04.24.05, 9:14 PM

sirterrapin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sirterrapin Send a message via Yahoo to sirterrapin
"greasy" is the adjective thatt leaps to my mind when I think about Soldanos. They sound like a dirtier, gainier Marshall, but in a good way. What I liek most about them is that no matter how much of the available gain you use, they don't turn into mush as most amps do. I've never played the higher end ones, just the Hot Rod and Astroverb, and they had some of my favorite lead tones, but didnt clean up so well. Then again, they aren't meant to.
These are cookies.
Old 04.26.05, 9:58 AM

hivedestruction is an unknown quantity at this point
edit: Just kidding

Last edited by hivedestruction; 04.26.05 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04.26.05, 10:24 AM

sleewell is an unknown quantity at this point
the old guitarist from widespread panic used to use Soldano. his sound was really good, what a killer player!!

RIP - Houser - you are missed!!!

mako mak4> mesa 50/50> mako & avatar 412s

fuchs tds 50 > whitebox 212

bogner fish > vht 2502

digitech gsp1101 & controller 2
Old 04.26.05, 11:18 AM

random_mr_crazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Mark Knopfler uses Soldano amps, and he has tone to die for.
Old 04.26.05, 11:44 PM

VoodooChile70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to VoodooChile70 Send a message via Yahoo to VoodooChile70
Soldano

I have a Yamaha T100 All tube amp designed by Mike Soldano and it kicks major ass! I had it modded to Soldano specs and haven't had any problems blowing away Marshalls consistently. The guy describing it as "marshall crunch with american hi gain" is right on the money. Also a more darker, rounded tone. The're also very cheap if you find one($300-400!!!!). A poor man's soldano.

This is me onstage with the yamaha

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/x_vici..._1c5CBVLUZaDzs

1962 Reissue Fender Strat (Mexican). 1970's Epi Les Paul > Morley ABY Pedal > Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah > Dunlop Rotovibe > Digitech Whammy Reissue > Boss Super Overdrive (MIJ)>2 Yamaha T100 Heads, Marshall 1936 2x12, Marshall 1960 Lead 4 x 12

Pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/anacoguy/album?.dir=/1cfc&.src=ph&.tok=phk7c5CBZnY61kvG