Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.01.11, 9:52 PM

earlyreflections is on a distinguished road
Thinking of a getting a JCM800, thoughts?

hey guys,

i've come across an original JCM 800 100watt head + the 1960a 4x10 cab locally and am deciding whether I should get it and let the JC-120 go or even pair it up.

this one of the amps I've always wanted to try in my setup but have never come across any until now. I'm still playing a lot of shoegaze / ambient / post-rock music in my band and on my own as well. Current setup of effects is;

TU-2 > RV-5 > Fulltone BassDrive > PN-2 > PS-3 > DM-2 > DD-2 > RV-2

what are your thoughts? is the JCM-800 a good match for my music? I should be able to get bigger walls of sound with it compared to the JC-120 but can it still do ambient / gazy tones well and handle pedals nicely?

cheers

Old 06.01.11, 10:00 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyreflections View Post
hey guys,

i've come across an original JCM 800 100watt head + the 1960a 4x10 cab locally and am deciding whether I should get it and let the JC-120 go or even pair it up.

this one of the amps I've always wanted to try in my setup but have never come across any until now. I'm still playing a lot of shoegaze / ambient / post-rock music in my band and on my own as well. Current setup of effects is;

TU-2 > RV-5 > Fulltone BassDrive > PN-2 > PS-3 > DM-2 > DD-2 > RV-2

what are your thoughts? is the JCM-800 a good match for my music? I should be able to get bigger walls of sound with it compared to the JC-120 but can it still do ambient / gazy tones well and handle pedals nicely?

cheers
You just have to ask one question. Do you need to be that loud? If you turn it down it will not break up. Where you play can you use a dimed 100 watt amp?

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 06.01.11, 10:42 PM

i've been thinking that exact thing olddawg, i love the JCM breakup but how loud does it need to be before getting to that stage? i really dont think at the gigs I will be playing or at home i could have it that loud is there any other options? fender twin?
Old 06.01.11, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyreflections View Post
i've been thinking that exact thing olddawg, i love the JCM breakup but how loud does it need to be before getting to that stage? i really dont think at the gigs I will be playing or at home i could have it that loud is there any other options? fender twin?
Wow...Two entirely different animals. But both are big, heavy, loud 100 watt monsters. If you already have a JC 120 then you don't need a Twin or if you have a Twin you don't need a JC 120. Both are good choices if your distortion comes from pedals. Both are good pedal platform amps with a lot of overhead. A Twin is very heavy and transporting one gets old quick. You should ask yourself, how loud do I need to be? Chances are you probably don't really need much over 20 or 30 watts. If you want a JCM800 "LIKE" amp distortion at a lower volume check out some amps with EL84 output tubes. At home you might consider a 5 watt Epiphone VJ head. They're cheap and and distort really nice with decent tubes and an OD pedal. Bare in mind that no one has discovered the holy grail of the sound of a JCM800 dimed at a low volume. It can't be done because of sound pressure considerations among other things.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 06.01.11, 11:13 PM

Haha the JC-120 is quite heavy in its own right thats for sure!

Sounds like I should just keep the JC-120, all of my distortion / sounds come from the pedals which is why I guess I got the JC in the first place because they take them so well, u get a really nice shimmery / shoegazey sound! One thing I do need to put through it is a nice RAT II!

thanks again dude
Old 06.02.11, 11:55 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
Olddawg's words of wisdom are right on the money as always...you're talking about some amps that are heavy to carry and are LOUD. Sure, you'd get a great shoegazey/post-rock sound by A/B-ing the Marshall with a Twin or a JC-120 - the latter two do legendary cleans according to, well, pretty much everyone I've asked about it. I'm aiming in a similar direction to you actually, but realised the issues of portability and loudness so decided to start saving up for a Deluxe Reverb or Supersonic 22 to nail a clean tone at a more manageable level and A/B-ing it with my Blackstar (which sounds Marshall-y but a bit more tweakable).

That said, the JC-120 is solid state, so cranking it won't alter the sound quality in the same way that cranking a Twin will (apart from the aforementioned SPL, which is kinda secondary to how the amp itself behaves).

I've tried one or two of the JCM2000 series Marshalls, and was decidedly unimpressed...not that the 900s and the 2000s are without their merits, but the 800s are the pick of the bunch if I ever got a Marshall again. One last thought: is it practical to run it at 50 watts by removing two of the tubes, and if so would it make a significant difference to the volume?

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-5

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 06.02.11, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concretebadger View Post
One last thought: is it practical to run it at 50 watts by removing two of the tubes, and if so would it make a significant difference to the volume?
It is done all of the time and an old, old trick. You have to double the load for the transformer tap you are using. An 8 ohm tap should use a 16 ohm speaker load, etc. It is usually done to get the amp to break up earlier. It's still too loud for most clubs. There is an overhead difference between 50 and 100 watts, but not much of a volume difference IMHO.

Old 06.02.11, 3:08 PM

cricketchorus is on a distinguished road
I would have similar reservations as everyone else. I really like the sound of JCM 800's but at this point in life can't justify being that loud to produce those sounds. I would look for something more in the 30-50 watt range and it will be plenty loud. The V4 I used to play guitar through is now a bass amp for similar reasons, too loud, too heavy. I prefer amps right on the edge if not slightly past the break up point and it becomes too tedious to achieve that with high wattage amplifiers. Similarly something with too little headroom will not take pedals without turning to mush. A 50 watt Bassman or similar older Fender amp will go along way and are fairly versatile. They might not be the holy grail tone for the cork sniffer but you can get them to sound pretty d*mn good.
Old 06.02.11, 3:23 PM

asatbluesboy is on a distinguished road
My Tweed Bassman clone is 40-ish watts, has only two (10-inch) speakers and I still can never crank it to its sweet point in clubs.

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP
Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.
Old 06.02.11, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asatbluesboy View Post
My Tweed Bassman clone is 40-ish watts, has only two (10-inch) speakers and I still can never crank it to its sweet point in clubs.
+1 That's why I use am 18 watt Marshall clone through an old 2X10 Tremolux cab most of the time and I still get told I'm too loud. But I drive the bejesus out of my amps. You can build or find builds that have a JCM800
preamp and an 18 watt output stage with EL84 tubes. I have more of a Voxish Marshall front end on mine.

Old 06.02.11, 5:26 PM

jonny-b-brown is on a distinguished road
I couldn't even crank my classic 30 last night without complaints. I put a micro amp, tunred way down, in the fx loop to keep it down. Sort of squashed my dynamics, but ya gotta do what you gotta do....
Old 06.02.11, 5:42 PM

asatbluesboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
+1 That's why I use am 18 watt Marshall clone through an old 2X10 Tremolux cab most of the time and I still get told I'm too loud. But I drive the bejesus out of my amps. You can build or find builds that have a JCM800
preamp and an 18 watt output stage with EL84 tubes. I have more of a Voxish Marshall front end on mine.
You still owe us some clips of that, by the way.

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP
Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.
Old 06.02.11, 6:25 PM

I'm definitely just gonna keep the JC-120 around, it sounds great and just as concretebadger said the cleans are beautiful and you crank it knowing the sound won't change just volume. Which is handy when a lot of sound is coming from the pedals.

The JCM would be great but there is no way I would be able to have it loud enough to really enjoy it

I'm interested to hear that 18 watt Marshall clone as well!
Old 06.03.11, 12:55 AM

cerebro911 is on a distinguished road
I solved all my amp problems with my THD Hot Plate Attenuator...using a thirty watt amp

I have used my 100 watt Crate with it though, and drawing massive amounts of volume off with the deep switch on still sounds good. The same as cranked (with earplugs of course)? No, but pretty darn close.

My usual setup is Peavey Classic 30 into a Marshall 4x12 and I can push the amp to sweet sweet overdrive, but keep the volume down to where a twenty person audience can sit eight feet from the stage and thoroughly enjoy the sound.

Long story short, THD Hot Plate rocks.
Talking about wireless pedals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham Clowder View Post
It would be so we could run from one side of the stage to the other, switch from rhythm to lead, run over to the guy on the hammonds to turn on the flanger, and then sneak up behind the drummer and start going nuts on the wah.

Only to realize those pedals were hooked up to the bass!