Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Amplifiers

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08.17.03, 5:56 PM

booshi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to booshi
Using my amp to listen to music?

I'm heading off to school soon, and since my amp is going to take up a lot of space I won't have room for a stereo. I was wondering if I could run my portable mp3 player through it, or would that ruin it? It's a traynor ycv 40. Thanks

Old 08.17.03, 6:30 PM

oi oi oi is an unknown quantity at this point
if there is a line out on the player it should be fine. that will skip the amp stages in the mp3 player.
Old 08.17.03, 6:34 PM

cin is an unknown quantity at this point
guitar amps aren't like hifi amps man, they distort a lot (even when clean, they're technically distorting), and the circuits aren't built to put out hifi frequency ranges, nor are the speakers.

There is a potential of ruining the amp (due to the bass frequencies killing the speakers), but it'd also sound like complete crap.

Get yourself a nice comfy set of headphones.
Old 08.17.03, 10:19 PM

State is an unknown quantity at this point
It's probably not a great idea to run recorded music through a guitar amp. The range of frequencies could kill your speaker and it'll probably sound like total ass.

www.myspace.com/welcometobatcountry
Old 08.18.03, 6:17 AM

The User is on a distinguished road
thats really not a good idea.

The End
Old 08.18.03, 3:29 PM

kinhad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kinhad
why run a portable mp3 player through an amp? you see, there are things called headphones...

Guitars
White Fender MIM Fat Stratocaster (w/ Graphtech Saddles)
Unknown MIJ Stratocaster "Firewood" (w/ Graphtech Saddles+Nut, Push/Pull HB Split Switch)
Metallic Blue Ibanez GRX20 (w/ EMG Select HB in bridge)
Cort Earth 70 (Satin Finish) Acoustic Guitar
El Degas Classical Guitar

Amps/Effects
ROLAND JAZZ CHORUS 120 (Recently Aquired)
Marshall AVT20
Randall RG15XM
---------------------
Boss DS-1
MXR Distortion+ (broken)

Other:
Jim Dunlop USA Nylon .88mm Picks
DR Electric Guitar Strings
Old 08.18.03, 5:44 PM

string slinger is an unknown quantity at this point
just get some headphones or a set of those little speakers that plug into the headphone jack...
Old 08.18.03, 6:44 PM

MotherHumbucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Ugh................

Rookies wanting to kill their amp.

Buy a small boom box man.

1992 Fender Twin Reverb (Reissue 85W), 1997 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head (100W), 2002 Marshall 1960A 4X12 Cab, Morley A/B switch, THD Hot Plate, Vintage Pro-Co Rat distortion (Used on Fender Twin), Holy Grail Reverb (Used on the Mesa), MXR 90 Phase, Ibanez Chorus, IbanezTube Screamer TS-9, Budda Bud Wah, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Boss Digital Delay, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus , Tortex picks, Blue Steel Strings 9's and 11's, Guitars: 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Cherryburst), Early 90's Gibson SG Standard (Black), Late 80's Ibanez E/X Black & White Pickguard (humbucker, single coil, humbucker. whammy), 2000 Ibanez Electric Acoustic, 80's Hunk of crap Fender Acoustic, Brand Spanking New Martin HD-28 Acoustic.
Old 08.19.03, 12:05 AM

Travis is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Travis
Will you be having a computer? I assume that you don't need your speakers to move around with you (considering the amp is pretty stationary as well), so if you'll have a desktop or laptop, consider just getting a good set of speakers for that. You can always play your songs off the computer instead of the mp3 player, and you can plug the speakers into your player as well.

As others have said, avoid the amp. I've heard you can damage it, but even if that wasn't true, amplifiers are designed to have a much different frequency response than a pair of stereo speakers.
Old 08.19.03, 12:58 AM

apocalypsecow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to apocalypsecow
a boom box costs...what? $30 at wal mart?

Who the Author of this Production is, is wholly unnecessary to the Public, as the Object for Attention is the DOCTRINE ITSELF, not the MAN. Yet it may not be unnecessary to say, That he is unconnected with any Party, and under no sort of Influence public or private, but the influence of reason and principle.
Old 08.19.03, 8:17 PM

MotherHumbucker is an unknown quantity at this point
And having your amp serviced for acting like "Corky" using your amp as a CD playing stereo will run you more than 30 stones.......

1992 Fender Twin Reverb (Reissue 85W), 1997 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head (100W), 2002 Marshall 1960A 4X12 Cab, Morley A/B switch, THD Hot Plate, Vintage Pro-Co Rat distortion (Used on Fender Twin), Holy Grail Reverb (Used on the Mesa), MXR 90 Phase, Ibanez Chorus, IbanezTube Screamer TS-9, Budda Bud Wah, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Boss Digital Delay, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus , Tortex picks, Blue Steel Strings 9's and 11's, Guitars: 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Cherryburst), Early 90's Gibson SG Standard (Black), Late 80's Ibanez E/X Black & White Pickguard (humbucker, single coil, humbucker. whammy), 2000 Ibanez Electric Acoustic, 80's Hunk of crap Fender Acoustic, Brand Spanking New Martin HD-28 Acoustic.
Old 08.27.03, 11:12 PM

scxtt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to scxtt Send a message via AIM to scxtt Send a message via Yahoo to scxtt
i've got a question then ... what about pedals that have a "jam-a-long" feature? isn't it essentially the same thing? or does it somehow "correct" non-guitar music so that it doesn't screw up your amp ... ? i used to use my fender practice amp with a boombox after i got my tube amp ... so if you don't care about this amp's future go for it ...

my best memories were forged in basements and garages ...
Old 08.28.03, 7:42 AM

concrt is an unknown quantity at this point
booshi,
Okay, so I'll be the voice of disention here.

Of course you can use your amp for this. It's an amplifier, it takes a signal and boosts it along with some eq changes. It doesn't matter what the signal is, as long as it's not too hot (and the "line out" won't be.)

Your amp is able to take quite a bit of abuse and still work fine. An mp3 player will not tax it. Think about all the boost pedals and such that do all sorts of things to the signal before an amp.

You will have to change you eq, and be carefull with the volume, but you'd be surprised how well some amps sound.
In fact, this is one of the ways you can tell if your amp has a decent sound. If it can't amplify music as a whole (and not just a guitar), it might not be as flexible/good sounding as another.

Good guitar amps aren't built like top end high-fi equipment, but closer than you might think. The speakers for an amp can handle any frequency you'll send to them as long as it's not too loud. If you really want to test the clean channel on an amp, try putting music through it. When you find a good one, you'll be amazed at how it sounds.

Realize also that many artists have used PA amps for guitar amps over the years, and some have even used tape recorders to shape most of their sound.

An amplifier doesn't care what it amplifies, as I said, don't make the signal too hot or turn the volume up too loud. You'll be fine. You may or may not like the sound, but you'll be fine.
Rick.
Old 08.29.03, 9:17 AM

hewesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Like concrt says, you can use the amp to play your MP3 player through, that's what it does...

Of course it won't sound great, depending on the amp, as the speaker and preamp will be tuned for a mid range guitar, not a full range MP3 player.

Of course lots of guitar amps now offer this facility, the small Marshall practice amps have an RCA input, as do some of the larger Behringers.

Of course, you could get an acoustic amp with RCA preamps, I have the Marshall AS50R which has stereo full range speakers and a tweeter, and sounds great with my CD or MD player.

Just keep the levels low and you'll be fine...

Boss TU2, Boss DD3

Laney VC30 (w/Marshall SE100)