Go Back   GeekChat! > GUITARGEEK RIGS > Complete That Rig

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.10.07, 1:27 AM

Sonic is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Braunz0
What did he use for that tour?
Tonemasters + Wizards; he just sounded very compressed to my ears. A very generic hard rock sound.

Old 12.10.07, 9:59 AM

Rehearsal/Soundcheck pictures here. What are the amps? Marshall, Orange and ???
Old 12.10.07, 12:28 PM

Ajie is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like Soldano
Old 12.10.07, 1:09 PM

New001 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think jimmy should use his little old Supro amp for the gig. he'll still be awesome lol
Old 12.10.07, 1:15 PM

New001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by falldowngoboom4
There is a Ukelele Orchestra guy on far left rockin hard.
Jools Holland owns
Old 12.10.07, 1:32 PM

According to a poster at royal-orleans.com they're Petersburg amps

Last edited by Sonic; 12.10.07 at 3:19 PM.
Old 12.10.07, 2:40 PM

_pheonix_ is an unknown quantity at this point
They're Orange amps in black tortex. And some Marshall heads, with ENGL cabs.

God he looks old.

Zvex Wah Probe, Zvex Fuzz Probe, Zvex Ringtone, Boss TU2, EHX Small Stone.
Loop: Ibanez DE7, Line 6 Verbzilla, Line 6 DL4, DOD DFX9. Wired through a Loopmaster to keep them quiet!

Hughes and Kettner Statesman 50 Head
Hughes and Kettner Statesman 2x12 Cab

My Rig thread

Gear Blog

For Sale:
Tech 21 Sans Amp Tri Ac, Blackstar HT Drive, DOD Envelope Filter, Morely Power Wah. PM me if interested!
Old 12.10.07, 3:02 PM

falldowngoboom4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by New001
Jools Holland owns
damn right!
**** did the original poster quote himself? Hotdamn!
Originally posted by Ambiance
hire a hobo to push them for you
Old 12.11.07, 1:48 AM

Some great shots here from the night; lovely pics of JPs new Les Paul Custom, as well the amps
Old 12.11.07, 7:23 AM

pos69sum is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw them do GTBD and Black Dog on youtube before the links went down.

Zeppelin are my favorite band ever - but I still had an underwhelmed reaction to the reunion. I had the same reaction to Page and Plant Unledded. I'm sure it was a lot different for people at the O2, and I'll be the first to line up to buy the DVD - but it just wasn't as awesome as the stuff on the live DVD. It's not entirely because they're older, although that's part of it. JP can still play the songs well. Bonham's son is ok, too.

It's Plant, sorry to say. They had to play Black Dog in a different key - it sounded like a different song. He is alright - but he can't sing the songs the same way anymore. Am I the only one who thinks he sounds like Elmer Fudd? If they try to tour I'm sure people will drop their rose tinted nostalgia and start to criticize the fact that he can't hit the high notes and it's just not the same anymore.
Old 12.11.07, 7:42 AM

Good&Loud is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by lucky13MK2
Cranked Marshall 1959 heads

The front row might get killed.
I've read once that he used Modded Super Leads, to get 200w.
Using bigger Output Transformers and KT88 Power Tubes.

This way, he could get the Amp at lower volumes, with cleaner sounds, and he used at first his Tonebender, and then an Univox Uni-Drive for Distortion.
Old 12.11.07, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pos69sum
I saw them do GTBD and Black Dog on youtube before the links went down.

It's Plant, sorry to say. They had to play Black Dog in a different key - it sounded like a different song. He is alright - but he can't sing the songs the same way anymore. Am I the only one who thinks he sounds like Elmer Fudd? If they try to tour I'm sure people will drop their rose tinted nostalgia and start to criticize the fact that he can't hit the high notes and it's just not the same anymore.
I can understand your comments, although I disagree! The band sounded absolutely thunderous and if there were key changes, I think the songs benefited from them. I agree Plant sings the songs slightly differently, but again, I think the limitations of age allow him to explore his performance in a (slightly) different way and the songs sounded better for it. I wouldn't expect JP to have the same tone as he did in 1969, or to play the same solos note for note, so I wouldn't expect the same of RPs singing.

Having said all of that, I would be underwhelmed by a tour. As a one-off it was terrific but I think they should leave it there. I'd rather see RP w/ Alison Krauss and T-Bone Burnett's band backing them.
Old 12.11.07, 10:52 AM

Fenderbassfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Jimmy Page 's O2 Amp setup

I believe that Jimmy's O2 Concert... Amp rig......

From left to right was

- 2 Orange
- 2 Petersburg
- 2 Vintage Marshall
- 2 Orange (Again)

All piggy backed.......
Old 12.11.07, 12:18 PM

pos69sum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
I can understand your comments, although I disagree! The band sounded absolutely thunderous and if there were key changes, I think the songs benefited from them. I agree Plant sings the songs slightly differently, but again, I think the limitations of age allow him to explore his performance in a (slightly) different way and the songs sounded better for it. I wouldn't expect JP to have the same tone as he did in 1969, or to play the same solos note for note, so I wouldn't expect the same of RPs singing.

Having said all of that, I would be underwhelmed by a tour. As a one-off it was terrific but I think they should leave it there. I'd rather see RP w/ Alison Krauss and T-Bone Burnett's band backing them.
I agree that the band sounded thunderous - they always have. But if you think the songs 'benefited' from the key change - you need to clean out your ears, sorry. Plant was the guy who *originated* the high pitched heavy metal vocals. So what are Zeppelin songs sung in a different key, minus the high pitched heavy metal vocals? Answer is - a pale imitation of the originals.

I already stated that I love this band - it's not RP's fault that he is just getting older, I would still jump at the chance to see them, and granted, Zeppelin at age 60 something is still 100 times better than most of today's bands will ever be in their lifetimes. But it is not the same. I understand the huge demand for a Zep reunion - everybody loves this band, everybody wanted to say they saw this band in their prime, now they have the opportunity to see them at age 60. That's wonderful, but it's not the same thing as seeing a young RP, age 20, bellowing out Immigrant Song at the top of his lungs.

I think because I am such a huge fan, I want them to stop now and not do a full on tour. They achieved their goal of 'one last great show'. If they do a tour it will just be a grind. It would eventually become as exciting as seeing the Stones on one of their numerous cash-in tours. And people would eventually start criticizing the fact that RP can't hit the notes, that Black Dog sounds weird in a different key, and that Bonham's son is good, but not exactly like his dad. They should let it be as it is.
Old 12.11.07, 12:34 PM

andyjreid is an unknown quantity at this point
Pictures in the newspaper today looked like vintage marshall heads and im not sure of the other heads but they had JP1(?) engraved into them kinda like what matamp do.

Looked like marshal/engl cabs

There's pictures here somewhere........