Go Back   GeekChat! > GUITARGEEK RIGS > Complete That Rig

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.31.08, 1:19 PM

flashmdg is an unknown quantity at this point
John Frusciante amp settings

I was looking for info on John Frusciante's rig when i came across these pics (also attached below):

http://moose.cc/upload/Frusciante/amp1.jpg
http://moose.cc/upload/Frusciante/amp2.jpg
http://moose.cc/upload/Frusciante/amp3.jpg

Close ups of the three amps that john uses on stage

The trebles on each of these amps are set so low, but when he plays he has a bright and trebly tone. How does he do it if he sets his amps like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1.jpg (46.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg amp2.jpg (29.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg amp3.jpg (43.0 KB, 62 views)

FUNKJAM

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last edited by AcquiredTaste; 03.22.11 at 7:10 AM. Reason: adding pictures since links are broken

Old 05.31.08, 8:11 PM

Strokes4563 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was astounded when I saw this as well. I knew he had some bassy sounds but I didn't know he cut the treble down so low. I am clueless.
TU>Barber Tone Press>Cusack Screamer>Fulltone OCD>MXR Phase 90>Line 6 DL 4

Want:
Orange Thunder 30, Marshall Basketweave, Gibson
Old 05.31.08, 10:03 PM

gbkoenig is an unknown quantity at this point
that treble is quite rolled back, but the presence is up quite a bit and on marshalls that can increase the sharpness, so it might not sound as soft as you think. plus, he uses quite old strats, the bridge pickup, and quite a few pedals including a booster and distortion pedal and fuzz pedal, so im sure those eqs figure into his sound as well.

a lot of their live stuff, when he solos it DOES sound like the treble is rolled back a bit, no woman tone, but kind of half way there. hermaphrodite tone.
Old 06.01.08, 6:57 AM

laa0815 is an unknown quantity at this point
First it could be that those aren´t the final settings - it could simply be that those pics are made BEFORE the final settings were taken...

But if they are right - what I think - it doesn´t make me wonder - Marshalls are trebly amps ad John´s sound changed quite a bit when he came back to the RHCP - his "old" sound was MUCH more sparkling and not that fat and middy (think of "Under The Bridge" vs. "Scar Tissue")...

And I have to agree - he plays Strats and Teles into his Marshalls, and on two amps Presence is quite high and on one Presence AND Treble... so all in all this looks like this in combination would give him his typical fat, bassy, middy and not too bright sound!!!

Cheers,

Dominik

P.S.: Some of his brighter sounds come out of an old Fender Showman he would use in conjunction with his Gretsch - but I guess this would be in the studio more than on stage - I think he hasn´t got his Showman on stage anymore...
Old 06.01.08, 7:52 AM

Zillie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Zillie
Quote:
Originally posted by laa0815
P.S.: Some of his brighter sounds come out of an old Fender Showman he would use in conjunction with his Gretsch - but I guess this would be in the studio more than on stage - I think he hasn´t got his Showman on stage anymore...
no Showman since BTW tour, the third amp is only used for Les Paul, the previous two run in stereo for Strats and Tele
Old 06.01.08, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zillie
no Showman since BTW tour, the third amp is only used for Les Paul, the previous two run in stereo for Strats and Tele
oh, that´s the reason why there would be more treble on the third amp...
Old 06.02.08, 6:59 PM

Strokes4563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by laa0815
First it could be that those aren´t the final settings - it could simply be that those pics are made BEFORE the final settings were taken....
I don't know. The photos are all pretty consistent and I don't think you'd get three heads that all have similar amp settings to not be final. Just my theory but your idea is valid.
TU>Barber Tone Press>Cusack Screamer>Fulltone OCD>MXR Phase 90>Line 6 DL 4

Want:
Orange Thunder 30, Marshall Basketweave, Gibson
Old 06.02.08, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Strokes4563
I don't know. The photos are all pretty consistent and I don't think you'd get three heads that all have similar amp settings to not be final. Just my theory but your idea is valid.
Just a thought. I once saw Sonic Youth amps - they didn´t have their final settings, too - you could see that because of the final settings being marked with tape... - but I guess those Frusciante amp settings are realistic!!!
Old 06.03.08, 5:30 AM

republic is on a distinguished road
i play a few old marshalls with Tele's. i keep my setting almost exactly as the first 2 pics. with most old marshalls and a standard single coil setup you can get bright with the treble rolled almost all the way down,,,, the guitar does most of the work

CURRENT RIG:
Telecasters->Fullton Clyde Wah->MXR Phase 90 (r28 mod)->Fulltone Fulldrive2->Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808->->Boss GE7 EQ->MXR Stereo Tremolo->Boss TU-2 Tuner->Boss Giga Delay->Crate V3112

AMPS
1959(?) Airline-Montgomery Ward
1967 Univox-Lafayette
1972 Fender Twin Reverb
1984 Marshall JCM 800 (2204)
1998 Fender Ultimate Chorus
2003 Crate V3112
Old 06.03.08, 8:31 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
I also dime the treble pretty much as I always turn on my bright switch. It makes my guitar more reactent to the tone knob this way but the excess treble I turn down by turning the treble down. Easy!

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 10.11.09, 5:31 AM

bj365 is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys those photos of johns amps are no longer anywhere on the web. Do any of you remember the settings he had on the 2 silver jubliees?
Old 11.08.09, 1:59 PM

olly01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The pictures are halfway down this page:

http://ratsound.com/cblog/categories...6-2007/P2.html

I actually emailed Dave Rat (Chili Peppers sound engineer) requesting he take these pictures, and he was nice enough to do so!
Old 11.08.09, 11:29 PM

fullmetalfunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly01 View Post
The pictures are halfway down this page:

http://ratsound.com/cblog/categories...6-2007/P2.html

I actually emailed Dave Rat (Chili Peppers sound engineer) requesting he take these pictures, and he was nice enough to do so!
THANK YOU! I am surpised as well to see the Bass set up so high and the treble so low...hmmm.
Old 11.11.09, 7:53 AM

Welladjusted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by republic View Post
i play a few old marshalls with Tele's. i keep my setting almost exactly as the first 2 pics. with most old marshalls and a standard single coil setup you can get bright with the treble rolled almost all the way down,,,, the guitar does most of the work
Indeed. I was about to suggest that his Fenders are even bright for single coil guitars due to the maple fretboards, but upon further research, he only has the one maple strat and the rest of his guitars are rosewood (burst strat, red strat, white strat, burst tele, red jaguar).

I wonder if he also runs his Les Paul through the Gretsch silver jubilee. I'd have to imagine that it's a much darker sounding guitar than his fenders.

On an unrelated note, here's a pic of John's guitars from the Californication/By The Way tours
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/8300/Frusciante3.jpg
Old 11.12.09, 3:53 AM

fullmetalfunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welladjusted View Post
Indeed. I was about to suggest that his Fenders are even bright for single coil guitars due to the maple fretboards, but upon further research, he only has the one maple strat and the rest of his guitars are rosewood (burst strat, red strat, white strat, burst tele, red jaguar).

I wonder if he also runs his Les Paul through the Gretsch silver jubilee. I'd have to imagine that it's a much darker sounding guitar than his fenders.

On an unrelated note, here's a pic of John's guitars from the Californication/By The Way tours
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/8300/Frusciante3.jpg
Now that is a vision of beauty right there. Two Strats, two Teles and a Gretsch White Falcon.

I know that John plays his Gibson live on "Fortune Faded" which is a pretty distorted song. From what I understand he uses the Silver Jubilees for crunch so my guess is that he does play the Gibson through the Jubilees.

Here's a link John Frusciante fans might like:
http://jftab.com/htm/john-frusciante-gear-effects.html