GeekChat!

GeekChat! (http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/)
-   Complete That Rig (http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/complete-rig-27/)
-   -   Slash Setup (http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/complete-rig-27/slash-setup-64459/)

ahmadj 10.21.05 8:54 PM

Slash Setup

Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my rig....i am looking to get a similar sound as slash and i was just looking for some suggestions.

voodoo_boy 10.22.05 12:52 PM

guitar with (atleast) one humbucker->wah->maybe a talkbox-> some amp with good distortion(Preferbly Marshall)

you should be able to figure this out by yourself...;)

welcome to the forum by the way:p

Majin GeoDooD 10.22.05 1:50 PM

Les Paul with SD Alnico II pups -> Marshall Jubilee

That'll get you all the Slash you need :)

michael-callari 10.22.05 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Majin GeoDooD
Les Paul with SD Alnico II pups -> Marshall Jubilee

That'll get you all the Slash you need :)

I agree, but you forgot effects. Slash uses a ton of wah, so get a wah-wah pedal. While you're at it, go ahead and get a delay pedal (Slash used one for Welcome to the Jungle, and a few other songs, I think).

SGROCKER0791 10.22.05 7:15 PM

Hey, don't forget the Chorus!

michael-callari 10.22.05 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SGROCKER0791
Hey, don't forget the Chorus!
I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure if Slash used chorus or not. Now that I think about it, it does sound like he's using chorus on the intro to Paradise City.

SGROCKER0791 10.22.05 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by michael-callari
I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure if Slash used chorus or not. Now that I think about it, it does sound like he's using chorus on the intro to Paradise City.
Yeah, it could be Slash. BTW, he uses Marshall Signature JCM900 now.

Elkvis 10.22.05 8:28 PM

also keep in mind that slash almost always uses his neck pickup. I never understood why, but he makes it sound pretty good.

Tyler111 10.22.05 10:01 PM

Slash's Rig

This is to set the record straight about the Man's rig. This is from Adam Day and Slash himself from several recent publications
Amps:
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (dirty)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (clean)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (talkbox/hot spare)
6 Marshall JCM Slash (straight) with Vintage 30 Celestions

Effects Loop:
Boss dd-3 delay
MXR 10-EQ (for solo boost)

Effects rack:
Custom Shop Dunlop Rack Wah
Yamaha spx-900 Chorus
DBX-166 Compressor
Rocktron Hush 2cx
Heil Talkbox

Main Guitar:2 '59 Handmade Les Paul Replica pickups are a mystery but most certainly low output humbucker like Lindy Fralins or Duncan Alnico IIs.

There it is and BTW he NEVER used any jcm 900 that I am aware of he used jcm 800s on Appetite, and still does in the studio.

SGROCKER0791 10.22.05 10:17 PM

Re: Slash's Rig

Quote:

Originally posted by Tyler111
There it is and BTW he NEVER used any jcm 900 that I am aware of he used jcm 800s on Appetite, and still does in the studio.
I did some reseach and he did use JCM800. My bad.

adrien 10.23.05 6:20 AM

tyler111 said it all.

you can go to http://www.snakepit.org/ for his settings.
With a Les Paul into a masrhall slash/jubilee and his settings, you'll get the exact same tone. I can tell, I own both.

The problem is, you won't be able to get both his clean and dist tone since he uses an AB setup (his amps are single EQ amps). So you gotta buy 2 of them!

You need to turn up the master to get the necessary amount of gain. That's VERY loud. A hot plate would be welcome.

The clean amp needs KT88 power tubes in order to stay clean at those high volumes.

I wouldn't recommend any other marshall, since the slash/jubilee has a very distinctive distortion. A jcm 800 would do for cleans though.

voodoo_boy 10.24.05 9:30 AM

well it should be able to be done if the amp has two inputs and you have a distortion pedal after the a/b box in one of the lines.
but theres not so many amps with two inputs...

doh:mad:

FreCKo 10.24.05 12:06 PM

Slash has like the perfect rock-rig, don't you think? Les Paul => Wah => Cranked as hell Marshall and alot of hair!

...Oh what a man... :D

voodoo_boy 10.26.05 10:51 AM

Quote:

This is to set the record straight about the Man's rig. This is from Adam Day and Slash himself from several recent publications
Amps:
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (dirty)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (clean)
2 Marshall 2555SL Slash Signature 100 watt Head (talkbox/hot spare)
6 Marshall JCM Slash (straight) with Vintage 30 Celestions

Effects Loop:
Boss dd-3 delay
MXR 10-EQ (for solo boost)

Effects rack:
Custom Shop Dunlop Rack Wah
Yamaha spx-900 Chorus
DBX-166 Compressor
Rocktron Hush 2cx
Heil Talkbox

Main Guitar:2 '59 Handmade Les Paul Replica pickups are a mystery but most certainly low output humbucker like Lindy Fralins or Duncan Alnico IIs.

hey welcome to the board:D

lakiosbourne 11.09.05 9:52 AM

Quote:

This is to set the record straight about the...
Ipressive. The legend talks about the recording amp for appetite not being a JCM800. It's told to be a marshall super tremolo 100w amp. modded by XXX XXXX (can't remember the name right now). This amp was loaned for the recording session for appetite and the amp was entitled #59 if I'm not wrong on that number. The amp was later used by George Lynch (I think is correct, well at least another big player.) and both him and Slash tried to buy the amp from the rental but in both cases got denied. You can read the full story on this mistery amp somewhere here on the forum. just do a search on Slash/appetite for destruction.

and yeah, welcome to the forum! have a nice stay! :D