Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02.14.10, 1:35 PM

jonbye is on a distinguished road
2 point vs 6 point strat bridge?

I was lucky enough to see Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck perform in London recently and couldn't believe the things Beck was doing with a strat trem. I know his custom strat has a 2 point trem - does this make it more stable at all or does this allow more for pitch change in both direction? I was curious as he never seemed to tune and had no locking nut yet was doing some quite extreme pitch bends

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways

Old 02.14.10, 1:57 PM

Doctor J is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Beck's custom Strat has an LSR roller nut, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure that evens things out enough for 45 minutes or so of his vibrato shenanigans. I was severely impressed by his recent (2009, I think) live album.
Old 02.14.10, 2:50 PM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
My little Squier has a two point trem and I don't have any problems with it at all. It's personal preference here but six point trems are harder work to set up...back in the 50s with those heavy gauge strings I'm sure you'd need the strength of six springs to hold the bridge in place but these days most people who aren't the late and great SRV use 0.09s or 0.10s at most.

The six point system doesn't allow for as much downward travel so if you're into dive-bombing maybe two point trem is the better option for you.

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 02.14.10, 7:23 PM

Me on crack is on a distinguished road
2 points are a little more consistent, easier to set up, and i think they're floating only

but IMO 6 points looks better LOL
I mean, aliens gave us velcro. Do you have a problem with aliens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg
Be aware that tube amps can kill you
So don't piss them off.
Old 02.14.10, 9:08 PM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
No, you can set a 6-screw strat bridge to float the same as a 2-screw bridge. You can also get a 2-screw bridge to lie flat, the difference is that you don't lock the plate by screwing down the plate, you either tighten the claw, put more springs in, or do what Eric Clapton does, which is have a block of wood installed between the steel block and the tremolo cavity.
Old 02.15.10, 7:53 AM

jonbye is on a distinguished road
Spotted the roller nut on the sig model (now using a computer with a better screen!)
Wouldn't have thought it made so much difference but may well get one for my knackered squire! I think Beck has an old style trem bar too.

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways
Old 02.15.10, 10:50 AM

gregsguitars is on a distinguished road
Beck's guitars have either the roller nut or the Wilkerson nut of old as well as the "trem setter " in the back cavity, as far as 2 point vs 6 pint, the 2 point bridge is much better as it allows for a closer trem setting with tremelo function to the body as well as a better "knife edge" and can be set up as a "floating" trem bridge with the assembley off of the body .
Old 02.15.10, 5:50 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Either bridge can be set flush or to float. The 2 point has a bit more range of play.

It's important to have a good quality two point bridge. Cheap ones wear out pretty fast and loose stability when they do. To quality ones have hardened steel posts and blades on the bridge.

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."