Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02.08.11, 8:56 PM

station5343 is on a distinguished road
Authenticating my strat.

I am trying to authenticate weather my guitar is an authentic fender or not. I purchased a fender USA strat body about a month ago 2 tone sunburst that has a solid black/brown back where most all pictures I have seen of 2 or 3 tone sunburst strats have a burst on the back as well as the front was there ever a time when fender produced the sunburst stratocaster with a solid color back? If anybody out there has any advise to offer I would appretiate it very much.

Old 02.11.11, 9:44 AM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
Bear in mind It may be authentic fender body but a custom paint job so dont get discouraged if it Isn't a true fender paint job. Even Still if it sounds good play it.

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 02.11.11, 4:40 PM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by station5343 View Post
I am trying to authenticate weather my guitar is an authentic fender or not. I purchased a fender USA strat body about a month ago 2 tone sunburst that has a solid black/brown back where most all pictures I have seen of 2 or 3 tone sunburst strats have a burst on the back as well as the front was there ever a time when fender produced the sunburst stratocaster with a solid color back? If anybody out there has any advise to offer I would appretiate it very much.
Yes, they made plenty of USA strats with solid colored backs. This isn't a good indicator if it's authentic or not. The best indicator is the shape of the routs.
Old 02.12.11, 7:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2084 View Post
Yes, they made plenty of USA strats with solid colored backs. This isn't a good indicator if it's authentic or not. The best indicator is the shape of the routs.
As far as the shape of the rout on my guitar it has what is refered to as the swimming pool rout. You sound like you know what you are talking about so i'm sure you are familiar with this type of rout. As I said I just wanted to be sure I wasn't ripped off, and as I was told by a vintage guitar dealer I emailed that this rout is correct for a fender US made strat and they also told me that there were plenty of solid color back sunburst strats made. Thanks again I appretiate your feedback.
Old 02.12.11, 7:05 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't exactly call a swimming pool routed Strat vintage. It was a cheapening shortcut in the manufacturing process. All they had to do is center the pickguard. Any pickguard no matter what the pickup/control arrangement was. I don't personally care for them, but whatever floats your boat.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 02.12.11, 7:25 PM

Whoever said my guitar was vintage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
I wouldn't exactly call a swimming pool routed Strat vintage. It was a cheapening shortcut in the manufacturing process. All they had to do is center the pickguard. Any pickguard no matter what the pickup/control arrangement was. I don't personally care for them, but whatever floats your boat.
First of all (olddawg) I never said it was a vintage guitar I just said I emailed a vintage guitar dealer for thier advise as to how to authenticate the guitar.
Old 02.12.11, 10:54 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First of all (olddawg) I never said it was a vintage guitar I just said I emailed a vintage guitar dealer for thier advise as to how to authenticate the guitar.
Sorry...guess I misunderstood. I'm just amazed and amused at what people call vintage nowadays, especially post eBay. Seriously, a lot of people say the rout makes no difference at all since the pickups are mounted in the pickguard. Some people even prefer the plywood bodies with swimming pool routs. I'm just not one of them. As my old friend from Chicago used to say, "The milk that makes you fat might kill me!" Anyway, once separated, and especially after a refinish, it is very difficult to authenticate a genuine USA Fender body. You might try looking in the neck pocket under bright light (and rub it a bit with some lacquer thinner) and see if there are any markings. Some years there is a small extra hole where they had a nail to hang the body when it was painted. Theres a lot of info in the Fender Field Guide and such. People get obsessed with such things. At the end of the day it doesn't matter much either way. If you like it what does it matter? A good indication would be that a standard USA Strat pickguard will fit on it and the screw holes line up. And...what type of wood it is of course. But again, there are variations in that too. Cheers....

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 02.13.11, 1:27 AM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As far as the shape of the rout on my guitar it has what is refered to as the swimming pool rout. You sound like you know what you are talking about so i'm sure you are familiar with this type of rout. As I said I just wanted to be sure I wasn't ripped off, and as I was told by a vintage guitar dealer I emailed that this rout is correct for a fender US made strat and they also told me that there were plenty of solid color back sunburst strats made. Thanks again I appretiate your feedback.
That's correct for an American Standard Stratocaster (they changed the names around 92 when the Mexico plant came online) from 88 to around 96 (I'd have to look it up). From around 96 to current USA Standard Stratocasters have HSH routs with a little circular recess in the lower horn normally hidden by the pickguard.

Anything from the custom shop, or any USA "Vintage Reissue" types will have the familiar SSS routs.

There are other ways to tell the year of a body, including the depth of the contours, pickguard and tremolo cavity screwholes, and even the size and placement of the button strap holes, but you have to see a lot of them (and often, side-by-side) before the differences really stand out.