Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04.22.11, 11:39 AM

station5343 is on a distinguished road
Changing electronics on a 335 semi hollowbody guitar.

Can anybody offer any advise on the easiest way to swap out the electronics(jack,pots etc) on a 335 style guitar? I have a epi 335 dot deluxe I want to change out the electronics on and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do it. If anybody out there has any advise on how to do this it would be much appretiated.

Old 04.23.11, 12:43 AM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by station5343 View Post
Can anybody offer any advise on the easiest way to swap out the electronics(jack,pots etc) on a 335 style guitar? I have a epi 335 dot deluxe I want to change out the electronics on and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do it. If anybody out there has any advise on how to do this it would be much appretiated.
How it is usually done is you tie strings around each pot shaft, switch, and jack so that you can pull everything back to the correct hole. If you are going to rewire it, I would strongly suggest buying a quality pre-made harness. If you are just changing pots, switches , and jacks, the old harness should pull back into place. Be carefull that your bridge ground stays connected. If you seach YouTube there is probably a step by step tutorial. I can tell you by experience that it isn't easy to do the first time. Oh...and high test fishing line works great if you know how to tie decent knots with it. (The harder you pull, the tighter it gets)

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

Last edited by olddawg; 04.23.11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04.24.11, 10:51 AM

McSmackington is an unknown quantity at this point
I changed out the pickups on my 335 style guitar. It was the first time I had ever changed pickups on any guitar so it was a bit frustrating. I used the fishing line method and it worked fine. It is a little time consuming and more than a few curse words came flying out, but if I can do it, anyone can. Just make sure your knots are tied well around the pots because if the string slips off and the pot drops in the guitar, pulling it back up can be tough. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Fender American Deluxe Strat/ Michael Kelly Deuce Phoenix (With WCR Betset)/Epi Les Paul (Pearly Gates)> Garmopat Mod TS9> ED Hoof Fuzz> Garmopat Mod Crybaby> MXR Dyna Comp> Ibanez FL9> BYOC Phase 90> Ernie Ball VP JR> MXR Carbon Copy> Fender Blues Deluxe
Old 04.28.11, 7:33 PM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
In addition to what everyone else has said about the strings, some other quick tips (some obvious):

1. Your access point will be through the holes the pickups occupy, so do some strategic planning (ie remove them first, and reinstall them last).
2. Do all your assembly externally, and away from the actual top of your guitar.
3. I liketo use low-tack tape to keep assemblies together, stuff them into the interior, then remove the tape once everything is screwed in. Velcro also works, but sometimes it works too well.
4. Tiny mirrors are extremely useful (automotive places sell the kind on telescoping handles with swivels). I've also used really cheap USB cameras to look inside guitars.
5. The worst thing you can do is have loose parts running around in the interior of a guitar, but a good way to get them out is a piece of tape tacked on to a chopstick.
Old 04.30.11, 2:35 PM

Location: Originally from Toronto, Ontario - studying law in Los Angeles, California
daniclfrna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to daniclfrna
fishing line method + those tips above and you'll be fine. Takes a little patience!!
Old 05.05.11, 12:06 PM

teleslinger1 is on a distinguished road
After going through the string method I had a major FAIL! When trying to pull everything back in, the strings just got tangled within the guitar. PITA! I recommend some light masking tape around the lower f hole and gently using tools and fingers manipulate things in position then bring them up. Took me a a few tries, but got really fluid at it after giving in to having such little space to work with. Take your time!!!