Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Like Tree3Likes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.04.11, 2:18 PM

Franko is on a distinguished road
EMG Pickups....metal only?

Hey.
I have been using EMG's for more than ten years, and I think I may be experiencing a case of being so familuar with a certain sound that nothing else compares.
I recently bought a guitar that came with 2 Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups, they sounded very good, and the cleans were beautiful, however
I still felt that overall they lacked the "punch" I was used to with my EMG's.

I often find them being pigeonholed as being a "metal only" pickup. Where as I myself have used them for years for playing all styles of music.
I recently had some single coil EMG SAV pickups installed in my strat and they are great for everything from funk to country.
And after doing some research I found that many non-metal players have used EMG's over the years, people like David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.
And I was really surprised to learn that one of Prince's main guitars has an EMG 81 in the bridge.

Just curious to get your feedback...

Old 10.04.11, 4:02 PM

screamingdaisy is on a distinguished road
They get pigeonholed as metal pickups for the EMG 81, but there's plenty of other players that use them. Their single coils used to be common in the country due to them being noiseless, and plenty of rock guitarists still use them.

I believe they were originally marketed towards jazz/fusion players due to their ability to maintain articulation (and reduce noise) when soloing... which is ironic in a way because a lot of the early Mesa users where jazz/fusion players and not metalheads.

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab
Old 10.05.11, 11:24 AM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
Sooo..... your saying the most metal equipment out there was designed for jazz? my mind=blown(no sarcasm for once)

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 10.05.11, 11:37 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
I guess it's because the Rectos are so popular with metal players while their flagship Mark series were originally a hit with a broader fanbase who liked the sustain and hotrodded Fender-ish sound. When I think of a Boogie amp the Mark IV/V is the one that springs to mind.

That said, I've heard the Rectoverbs are pretty versatile.

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 10.05.11, 2:56 PM

i have a car is on a distinguished road
I think it's i think of "purity" in tone which is a joke people see metal heads using and think it's just a device for higher gain as thats all metal heads care about apparently so it does get people critisized for using them.

it may also be esp whi use emg pick ups in there guitars and tend to sell to those in the metal genre.

However i havent tried an active pick up before but would maybe like to but passive pick ups seem to give me a better vibe and also look nice
Old 10.05.11, 4:13 PM

Cham Clowder is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Cham Clowder
To be fair, Gilmour's said he never really liked the EMG SA's -- He just used them cause they're noiseless.

Needless to say, he still got great sound outta them.
Old 10.05.11, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham Clowder View Post
To be fair, Gilmour's said he never really liked the EMG SA's -- He just used them cause they're noiseless.

Needless to say, he still got great sound outta them.
Yes!
I've also heard something simular.
Aparently, with the amount of on stage lighting at Pink Floyd shows Gilmour was experiencing a lot of noise, and his EMG's helped with that.
Either way.
Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
Old 10.05.11, 11:16 PM

As a metal player I don't care for boogies but the emgs are very useful for all kinds of music. An emg 81 can do good cleans and can easily break up your speakers with just a lil extra gain.

Quote:
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 10.11.11, 11:27 PM

fullmetalfunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Hey.
I have been using EMG's for more than ten years, and I think I may be experiencing a case of being so familuar with a certain sound that nothing else compares.
I recently bought a guitar that came with 2 Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups, they sounded very good, and the cleans were beautiful, however
I still felt that overall they lacked the "punch" I was used to with my EMG's.

I often find them being pigeonholed as being a "metal only" pickup. Where as I myself have used them for years for playing all styles of music.
I recently had some single coil EMG SAV pickups installed in my strat and they are great for everything from funk to country.
And after doing some research I found that many non-metal players have used EMG's over the years, people like David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.
And I was really surprised to learn that one of Prince's main guitars has an EMG 81 in the bridge.

Just curious to get your feedback...
I don't really care for EMG's. One, because I have to put a battery in my guitar, and two because I like the vintage-ier sound of passive pick ups. I also feel a lack of "depth" when I play them. They sound...too clean I guess haha I don't know.

More to the point they do get pigeonholed yes. There are plenty of artist who don't play metal that use EMG's and like screamingdaisy said they were first marketed towards jazz players. A lot of jazz players still use them in their guitars especially many of the more contemporary jazz guys I've seen. Then again I've seen metal and hardcore players using regular humbuckers and even single coil pick ups in their guitars. If it sounds good to you, use it. Screw anybody who tells you to do different.
kolatogari likes this.
Old 10.16.11, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalfunk View Post
If it sounds good to you, use it. Screw anybody who tells you to do different.
You know. The more and more I learn about gear, this seems to be the golden rule.
Old 10.16.11, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
You know. The more and more I learn about gear, this seems to be the golden rule.
I've been told so many times:

"Why is your fuzz after your wah? Hendrix put his before his wah."

"Oh man nah that's a 'metal guitar', get this one."

"Boss sucks. Dano Sucks. Digitech sucks. Get this one, it's boutique"

"Doing it like that makes it sound bad."

It's like backseat guitar playing. If you hook up a BOSS Metal Zone into a Dano Tuna Melt to a Fender Frontman and you like the way it sounds. Play it and love it.

When it comes to music or art in general "good" and "bad" are so subjective, there's an almost infinite number of opinions. And opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one.
Old 10.17.11, 10:47 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
Amen to that.

Since when did performers and writers of contemporary music religiously follow conventions? Like, ever? So many things about it that we know and love today wouldn't exist if they did!

Unless you damage/break something, the only thing you have to lose is a bit of time spent experimenting with an idea that doesn't work!

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 10.17.11, 10:24 PM

Dave Davies of the Kinks sliced slits in his speaker and poked holes in it to get the recognizable distortion on You Really Got Me. That's some pretty intense not following the "rules" if you ask me and look how it turned out.
Old 10.19.11, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalfunk View Post
Dave Davies of the Kinks sliced slits in his speaker and poked holes in it to get the recognizable distortion on You Really Got Me. That's some pretty intense not following the "rules" if you ask me and look how it turned out.
^i did that with a epi studio 10. It sounded ok for a crappy little thing I got for 10 bucks. Will never doit to any of my other amps. Lol.
fullmetalfunk likes this.

Quote:
Old 10.21.11, 5:04 PM

Take any piece of gear in the entire world, be it guitars, amps, pedals, drum kits etc...
And I promise you, you can find 100 people who say its amazing, and 100 people who say its terrible.
fullmetalfunk likes this.