Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.28.11, 9:34 AM

lefturn is on a distinguished road
Fretless Neck Replacement

Anyone know where I can get a fretless neck replacement for my MIM Stratocaster? Cheap is always good. And just show no one suggest it, I don't want to take the frets off of it and do all the work myself (I don't have the time or patience to do it).

Please no fretless bashing either, I'm only going fretless on this guitar because I've been playing violin/cello a lot lately and would like to get the same microtonal quality out of my guitar. Makes playing ragas a lot easier.

Old 06.28.11, 1:45 PM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
None of the major replacement manufacturers (Allparts, Mighty Mite, etc) offer a fretless guitar neck (Strat, Tele, whatever). None of the major custom places (Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft) sell this is a standard option. The latter group can certainly do it, but you'd have to call them - judging from their online pricing expect to pay around $200 for an unfinished neck and $300 for a finished neck.
Old 06.28.11, 2:22 PM

lefturn is on a distinguished road
That's what I was afraid of when I researched it earlier I guess it was just wishful thinking that someone knew of a secret cheap fretless neck.
Old 06.28.11, 2:54 PM

keksdose is an unknown quantity at this point
It should not be too difficult to remove the frets from any neck and fill the slots. I don't know the English name of that stuff but maybe you can figure it out: it's a substance similar to glue but when it's dried it looks like wood and it can be ground like wood. I think it should be perfectly fine for a DIY fretless neck for next to no extra money besides the cost of a regular replacement neck.
Old 06.28.11, 4:08 PM

K_Awri is on a distinguished road
There's one on the 'Bay, but It's not done and still costly.
Old 06.28.11, 4:32 PM

Robotron2084 is on a distinguished road
In terms of a guitar mod, converting a fretted neck into a fretless isn't all that hard. The only specialized equipment would be a soldering iron with a notch in the tip (for removing the frets), a fret puller, a radius sander, and a fret slot cleaner. You'd also need some stock of rosewood or ebony sized to fill the slots. Two days of work max.