Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By olddawg

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.04.11, 6:13 PM

NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Gibson and bridge tone

Don't know who else gets the Gibson e-letter. It is usually full of Gibson biased stuff but has the occassional interesting article. This isn't one

Gibson Tone Tips: Bridges

Old 11.04.11, 6:34 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFroBro View Post
Don't know who else gets the Gibson e-letter. It is usually full of Gibson biased stuff but has the occassional interesting article. This isn't one

Gibson Tone Tips: Bridges
I always have to snicker at the terms that are use in articles like this. Ok... We all know what intonation accuracy is. But what the he'll is tonal depth? lower resonance? Flatter frequency response? There are even more vague terms used. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 11.05.11, 3:44 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of the old joke "what's 'zing?" "what you do with a 'zong'."

I'm sure it's the opposite of what the article intends, but it reminds me that sometimes the 'difference' we think we can clearly hear is in fact all in our heads!

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 11.05.11, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
I always have to snicker at the terms that are use in articles like this. Ok... We all know what intonation accuracy is. But what the he'll is tonal depth? lower resonance? Flatter frequency response? There are even more vague terms used. I guess it's the nature of the beast.
Depth of tone man is about how deep your tone is dude like you don't want people to say you have shallow tone do you!?
Old 11.05.11, 9:07 PM

Supergrunged is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Supergrunged
Gibson is one to speak about tone, considering I own one, and I will never play another Gibson stock. The bridge they use is mid level, went with a Tone Pros locking bridge, and a graphite nut, and haven't looked back since....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.
Old 11.05.11, 11:11 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunged View Post
Gibson is one to speak about tone, considering I own one, and I will never play another Gibson stock. The bridge they use is mid level, went with a Tone Pros locking bridge, and a graphite nut, and haven't looked back since....
Truthfully I haven't had a problem with my Gibsons. All but one of my LPs is dead stock, but the newest one is 30 years old. I put a Badass on my old SG. The wierd LPish one with the Moog board has microtuners, but I think they're stock. I've played plenty upgraded/modded Gibsons. Most of the time such stuff is application specific and very subjective IMHO. And there are more than a few lemons out there. Luckily my guitars usually find me rather than the other way around. I'm playing Strats mostly nowadays anyway.
Supergrunged likes this.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 11.06.11, 3:17 AM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
It reminds me of a few years ago when Epiphone were doing all these adds about why Gibson-style guitars are "better" than the Fender-style guitars and had all of these diagrams about headstock angles and stuff about set necks as opposed to bolt-ons... and then a little while later Epiphone brought out these Strat ripoffs... hilarious!
Old 11.06.11, 11:07 AM

Supergrunged is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Supergrunged
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
Truthfully I haven't had a problem with my Gibsons. All but one of my LPs is dead stock, but the newest one is 30 years old. I put a Badass on my old SG. The wierd LPish one with the Moog board has microtuners, but I think they're stock. I've played plenty upgraded/modded Gibsons. Most of the time such stuff is application specific and very subjective IMHO. And there are more than a few lemons out there. Luckily my guitars usually find me rather than the other way around. I'm playing Strats mostly nowadays anyway.
Some of us are lucky If I could afford an older Gibson, I'd go for it, because I'll agree, those older ones, something more solid about them. I still wish I could pick up an older Les Paul Custom, something about them seems solid, but I always seem to mod my guitars to my applications. To each their own though, I'm glad to hear a good story on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.
Old 11.06.11, 5:37 PM

None of my guitars were "vintage" when I bought them (ditto some of my pedals)
Old 11.08.11, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFroBro View Post
None of my guitars were "vintage" when I bought them (ditto some of my pedals)
Yeah...I remember when we used old guitars because they were less expensive, like used cars. I remember buying a mint 69 Goldtop w/ case for $300 in 1980. Before that I bought a Dan Armstrong clear for $175. I still have a 1959 Danelectro DC that I paid $80 for. My LP Custom was $200. Lots of rare and great stuff passed through my hands. My really good gear was stolen and I'm sure sold for nothing. Somewhen
in the mid 80s old stuff became vintage.