Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.10.10, 9:51 PM

cosmiqphuz is on a distinguished road
Gotoh buzz bridge?

I've been thinking about getting a Jerry Jones electric sitar. But I don't think I'll be playing it enough to justify spending $800-1000 on one. Some pop up on ebay, but even those go for $600+ if I'm lucky.

I've looked at the Rogue and Agile copies but I've heard of a lot intonation and tuning issues with those models. Plus, the color isn't too appealing.

I found out about the Gotoh buzz bridge that's supposedly designed to replace the stock bridges on Danelectro guitars.

Has anyone done this before?

I figured I could get a used DC '59 and slap that bridge on and still spend less than half of a Jerry Jones.

Last edited by cosmiqphuz; 10.10.10 at 10:12 PM.

Old 10.10.10, 11:36 PM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
Holy crap...
Didn't know about that but now I'm seriously intrigued...

There's also this that I found yesterday... looks might tasty!
Old 10.11.10, 12:14 AM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiqphuz View Post
I've been thinking about getting a Jerry Jones electric sitar. But I don't think I'll be playing it enough to justify spending $800-1000 on one. Some pop up on ebay, but even those go for $600+ if I'm lucky.

I've looked at the Rogue and Agile copies but I've heard of a lot intonation and tuning issues with those models. Plus, the color isn't too appealing.

I found out about the Gotoh buzz bridge that's supposedly designed to replace the stock bridges on Danelectro guitars.

Has anyone done this before?

I figured I could get a used DC '59 and slap that bridge on and still spend less than half of a Jerry Jones.

The bridge is a drop in on a Dano, but you could really put it it on any solid body with no trem without much work if you have a beater laying around. Have you ever played one? They are the ultimate one trick pony and are only as good as the setup. The real problem is that you can spend days on the setup because it is a rediculously fine adjustment between mute and buzz and it's difficult to make it do it on all strings and all frets. Also, without the drone string array you won't get the full electric sitar effect. Steve Vai's backup guitarist uses a real vintage one for one song live. It actually works and he plays the hell out of it. But I think they have a guitar tech on tour just for that one instrument. He even says in the show that it's one a tempermental POS and the only truely functional one he's ever played.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 10.11.10, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
The bridge is a drop in on a Dano, but you could really put it it on any solid body with no trem without much work if you have a beater laying around. Have you ever played one? They are the ultimate one trick pony and are only as good as the setup. The real problem is that you can spend days on the setup because it is a rediculously fine adjustment between mute and buzz and it's difficult to make it do it on all strings and all frets. Also, without the drone string array you won't get the full electric sitar effect. Steve Vai's backup guitarist uses a real vintage one for one song live. It actually works and he plays the hell out of it. But I think they have a guitar tech on tour just for that one instrument. He even says in the show that it's one a tempermental POS and the only truely functional one he's ever played.
I've never played a guitar that was modified with the Gotoh bridge, but I have played the Jerry Jones. I've never personally played an original Coral sitar. But I've talked to people who have played both and they all say the Jerry Jones addresses all the problems of the Coral. Newer and less expensive too. Why people pay so much for the original, which has those problems you described, is beyond me.

Yea, I realized I would be missing the drone strings, but I'm ok with that. The drone strings don't really function the same way they do on real sitars, but they're useful for some things I guess.

I figured the main difference between an electric guitar and an electric sitar really is just the bridge. The only thing I'm worried about is if the Gotoh bridge is gonna be even close to the Jerry Jones or if it's gonna be a temperamental POS.

Here's the link to the part in case anyone was interested:

http://www.allparts.com/Danelectro-S...b-5810-010.htm
Old 10.11.10, 1:05 AM

You got me googling because this has always interested me...
There's also a German company that make them for Strats, Teles and Tune-o-Matics:
http://www.eyb-guitars.de/Eyb-English/Sitarbridge.html
Old 10.11.10, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
You got me googling because this has always interested me...
There's also a German company that make them for Strats, Teles and Tune-o-Matics:
http://www.eyb-guitars.de/Eyb-English/Sitarbridge.html
Wow, it definately looks more robust than the Gotoh. Looks like it's height adjustable for each string too. Maybe that's to accomodate rounder fretboards on strats/teles?

Too bad it costs three times as much though.

It'd be nice if someone could design a sitar bridge that can be engaged and disengaged at the flick of a switch or turn of a wingnut or something like that. Go from guitar-to-sitar and back to guitar in the same song.

Last edited by cosmiqphuz; 10.11.10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10.11.10, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiqphuz View Post
Wow, it definately looks more robust than the Gotoh. Looks like it's height adjustable for each string too. Maybe that's to accomodate rounder fretboards on strats/teles?

Too bad it costs three times as much though.

It'd be nice if someone could design a sitar bridge that can be engaged and disengaged at the flick of a switch or turn of a wingnut or something like that. Go from guitar-to-sitar and back to guitar in the same song.
Ah, I didn't see the price - the Gotoh one isn't exactly cheap either... Hmmmm... But I do like the idea of the German one on a pink paisley tele Or maybe I'm always just looking for an excuse to get a pink paisley Tele anyway

I do like the idea of a switchable one - I think you're on to something there!
Old 10.11.10, 4:07 PM

p_s_f is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or maybe I'm always just looking for an excuse to get a pink paisley Tele anyway
I'm always thinking I need a pink paisley tele too...

Ryan Tell (Solo Ambient Electronica Project)

Parlour Bikes (On Hiatus)
Old 10.11.10, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Ah, I didn't see the price - the Gotoh one isn't exactly cheap either... Hmmmm... But I do like the idea of the German one on a pink paisley tele Or maybe I'm always just looking for an excuse to get a pink paisley Tele anyway

I do like the idea of a switchable one - I think you're on to something there!
A pink paisley Telecaster sitar....now THAT has mojo written all over it.

Here's a couple videos of people who put the Gotoh on their Dano's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8At2RP3BU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DqBB-7Mxc

Here's one with the German one you found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIQ6...eature=related

O man, I'm really starting to get sitar fever....
Old 10.11.10, 4:59 PM

Some interesting stuff in the videos.
Damn you all. Guitargeek = GAS
Now I want a pink paisley Tele with the EYB bridge and a severly scalloped fingerboard for massive twangy bendy shenanigans.
Old 10.13.10, 1:18 AM

guysmiley is an unknown quantity at this point
I made this, if you want to go cheap.
Made a Sitar-Caster
Old 10.13.10, 10:02 AM

sloppy_phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Made a Sitar-Caster
that shi!t is the shi!t!!! wow. what were your specs on that piece of wood?
Old 10.13.10, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Made a Sitar-Caster
Holy sh*t, that is awesome.

It doesn't look like you had to modify anything on the strat either. Great job.

Sounds pretty good too. I wonder how it would sound if there was a piece of sheet metal on top of it.

I also found out that the Gotoh bridge is the exact bridge they use on the Jerry Jones models.
Old 10.14.10, 12:27 AM

guysmiley is an unknown quantity at this point
I honestly just measured the space between the screws where it mounted and filed the rest by eye. It could use a bit of tweaking, the wood should be as close to the bridge as possible. That's the beauty of it, not altering the Strat to do this. I could turn it back into a guitar anytime with a screwdriver.