Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.06.11, 5:49 PM

i have a car is on a distinguished road
Guitars weight distribution?

Hi

I've been playing the guitar for around 4-5 year's and through that time i've been upgrading bit by bit and finding ways to compliment my playing like equalateral plectrums and such.

One problem recently i've been having is the fact that when i play these days i don't feel like im making much progress.

You see the first guitar i got was a strat copy and i was able to play anything on it playing alot of muse songs the first song i learned was in Plug in baby and i learned that in a few hours and learnt many other's.

I got tired of the strat not only for the bad quality of it but the fact that the tone just felt light and i was getting into heavier hardcore punk genre and metal.

I upgraded to a epiphone specail II gt it's the current specail but a mahagony body and gibson 500 humbuckers it was a bargain and i took it. I was happy with the improved tone it was perfect and i continued to play and improve.
But over time i felt there been a problem that i can't play well as i do in the strat i tried playing Nothing else matters by metallica mastered the start but the solo i found it difficult i could play it but my movement felt inhibited and strained.

With this i had a thought that when i play standing alot of weight is being put on my right shoulder then the strat and i wondor is this the problem or am i just being silly?

If so and this is most likely the problem can a chambered body les paul help or should a look at different models for a compromise like an SG.

Old 12.06.11, 8:11 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
I always tell people that guitars are like wine. There is a big difference usually between a $3 bottle and a $25 bottle but the difference between a $25 bottle and a $200 or $2000 bottle is very subjective. Unless the guitar is a total pos you should concentrate on your technique. String guage and setup will also be a factor of course. The most difficult guitar I ever owned for me to play was a 1963 Firebird VII. It was like rowing a boat to me and the jade banjo pegs made the neck drop. But it was really pretty.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 12.07.11, 10:50 AM

While i've played around with string gauges too going from slinky regular to power to the 52 custom.

only problem i have with the 52 custom is the 1/2 and 3th string don't feel right and that could be the problem itself too regular i found where too bendy.the power didn't have enough power in the bottom 3 strings didn't feel like they had enough in them. Im trying to look for a string gauge which feels comfortable but not lacking in strengh.

Im not really comfortable in blaming the guitar to be honest as only a bad workman blames his tools but i should go to the music shop some time which has just opened again and try out some different body shapes.

Can a chambered body help i do like the tone of a les paul and the structure of it feels comfortable it's just feels there alot of weight being put on one shoulder.
Old 12.07.11, 11:45 AM

I have a "Thin Line" LP Custom. It looks like an LP from the front, has a full carved top, just thinner body and less weight. If you like LPs and not the weight, look in to one of those. You also should check out some SGs and some nodded Melody Makers.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A

Last edited by olddawg; 12.07.11 at 2:00 PM.
Old 12.07.11, 12:24 PM

thanks my music store close by isn't that great so it won't have anything specail just something every once in a while more to test out body shapes and see how they feel.

Im not a fan of melody makers il be honests more then likely an SG or a tele with some humbuckers probably
Old 12.07.11, 1:59 PM

If you have smallish hands, an old MM DC modded with humbuckers is a magical thing.

Old 12.07.11, 4:17 PM

Doctor J is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy fix without changing guitars: practice sitting down?

I know that's not going to help you when you play standing up, but it will redistribute the instrument's weight by taking it completely off of your shoulders, which should allow you to focus on your technique until you can get a more comfy guitar.

I've found Strats to be really comfortable, but that might not be something you'd want to get back into if you really like LPs that much.
Old 12.07.11, 5:53 PM

well seeing as i learn sitting down and standing i do need to stand i've im playing in a band so to get a guitar that is playable for me to stand.

a strat with humbuckers maybe but to me that look wierd it's the les paul tone i like and the shape does work for me it's just the wieght it put's on my arm i hate. I just brought this up because gibson i release cheap reissued 60s chambered body guitars and thoman are selling them with burstbuckers. when i saw they where wight relieved having chambered bodies and where quite slim. I just
wondored could it make a different because before i discovered them i was going to just get an SG or telecaster with humbuckers to do shows and use the les paul when i don't have to play on the lower frets or particulary fast that it could encourage the strain to start hurting.

It does hurt when i play for a long time.

Also is this a problem for otheir people
Old 01.03.12, 12:35 PM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
try looking for a hamer sunburst archtop(the model not the finish). Its like a lp and an sg with a fender scale. the balance is awesome and the quality is a kin to low end gibsons and high end epi's. they can be had for relativly cheap if you settle for the xt which is what i have and youll be set for metallica from begining to death magnetic and anything else you can throw at it especially, if you find one with the duncan designed pups

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 01.04.12, 11:08 PM

cerebro911 is on a distinguished road
You might be onto something with the 60s reissues if they are lighter. Try jacking up the hight of the guitar too, your arms won't have to bend at quite such an awkward angle and it'll have some of the same comfortable feel as playing while sitting down. When I got my heavier Les Pual it took my awhile of playing for five hours each day on my feet but eventually it became comfortable and I love it, even after a long session. I also fiddled with my strap length until it felt perfect.
Talking about wireless pedals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham Clowder View Post
It would be so we could run from one side of the stage to the other, switch from rhythm to lead, run over to the guy on the hammonds to turn on the flanger, and then sneak up behind the drummer and start going nuts on the wah.

Only to realize those pedals were hooked up to the bass!