Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.17.11, 7:31 AM

Uome is on a distinguished road
Half round strings?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever tried these strings?

DAddarioFretted Strings » Electric Strings » XL Half Rounds » EHR310 Half Rounds Regular Light 10-46

I know tone and feel are extremely subjective things but I wouldn't mind hearing something about them before buying a set or two.

Thanks!

Old 10.17.11, 10:41 AM

sloppy_phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Not exactly the same thing, but my friend asked me to put the d'addario half-round strings on his J-bass copy and I played around on it for a while.

The feel was the strangest thing; I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be smooth or round, and in a way I found it awkward/distracting while playing. It could have just been the novelty of the unique feel (I only played on it for about 10 minutes right after stringing it up), but it took me out of my playing 'zone'.

Tonally I thought they sounded nice. Granted, they were still new and zingy when I played them, but I could see how they would have a mellowing effect on the tone, which I consider a big plus on J-style basses (especially those with dubious pickups)

Personally, for purposes of feel, I would be prefer going either full round or full flat, as there are mellow round strings (pure nickels) as well as crisp flatwounds (GHS brite flats) that would serve the 'crossover' purpose I find the half-rounds are going for

even though we're not talking about the same instrument, I think there's enough overlap for my comments to not be utterly useless...
Old 10.17.11, 11:04 AM

Thanks! I wonder how well they work with overdrive and if they cure some fret buzz.
Old 10.19.11, 12:37 PM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
The effects different things have on a bass will have a similar effect on guitar. So if they didn't sound bad on the j bass they should atleast be metiocre on your guitar, good enough to justify waitin til your ready for new strings if they aren't so good. At the worst your out a few bucks and know that you don't like them.

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 11.09.11, 6:38 AM

Anyone else?
Old 11.09.11, 6:46 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
Wow; I would love to put some of those on my guitar...... never saw em but I kinda like the flats on my basses so......

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 11.09.11, 6:50 AM

I never knew they existed until a couple of months ago.

I'm going to order a couple sets in December, I wonder how'll they'll turn out.

Last edited by Uome; 11.09.11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Don't know why I put those links there.
Old 11.09.11, 10:18 AM

well, you really have nothing to lose by trying them. Who knows, maybe they'll be just what you needed?

I'm contemplating putting them on my Precision when I get it back from being lent out for recording.
Old 11.09.11, 11:00 AM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy_phil View Post
well, you really have nothing to lose by trying them. Who knows, maybe they'll be just what you needed?

I'm contemplating putting them on my Precision when I get it back from being lent out for recording.
The bass player I work with the most nnowadays uses flat wound Dad's. He likes them because they make less transition noise than round wounds and sound more like a fretless. To me they are more mellow sounding than say, round wound Rotos. The flat wounds Have a very smooth low end. If you play lead bass you probably want round wound strings. If you are a lead singer just filling in the bottom or want less finger noise when recording, flate are a good choice. Btw, I hate flares for guitar.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 11.09.11, 10:45 PM

you've got it right about flats; I had them on that P for a year and change before I went back to rounds a few months ago. That was definitely the sound it had then. Now that I have a Ric (which I use stainless steels with) I'm thinking of giving the P a little bit more of that smoothness with the half-rounds... trying to keep it as versatile as possible. I find the P has more tonal options when used with rounds; roll the tone knob off, and it gets pretty close to flatwound territory. Like Uome, thinking maybe it would somehow work out to be a best-of-both-worlds kinda scenario