Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.14.12, 11:37 PM

Jimmy25 is on a distinguished road
How To Clean A Maple Neck And Make It Smooth?

1) What's the most effective and safe way to clean a stratocaster's aged maple neck?

2) And do you use the same thing of what you use to clean a maple neck to clean a stratocaster's body or strings?

3) I found my maple neck extremely sticky that my fingers, esp my thumb at the back of the neck, it gets stuck so often when I play solo up and down the neck, this is one thing that's really bothering me, is there any solution to make a maple neck smoother?
(ps. isn't steel wool / sandpaper going to hurt and leave scratch / scar on the maple neck?)

Last edited by Jimmy25; 01.15.12 at 2:29 AM.

Old 01.15.12, 9:32 AM

Supergrunged is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Supergrunged
Just clean the neck with guitar polish and a rag, the fret treatment is lemon oil, and only used for ebony or rosewood fretboards. I've been using Dunlop guitar polish, Martin makes some too, as well as other companies. You can get a rag with one, or just use an old shirt. Start there, because it's going to take a lot of the gunk off your neck. You do it enough, and buff it, over time should feel alright.

No I would not use wool or sandpaper on a maple neck.....

Just next time you pick up strings, pickup guitar polish as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.
Old 01.15.12, 5:53 PM

NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Depending on the age that neck may be finished with Nitrocellulose (Fender this is pre 70s) If it is you need to be very careful what polish you use. Standard furniture polishes are silcone based and actually permeate nitro finishes logging the wood with silicone residue. If the finish has been worn off then you really should look at resealing it as the exposed wood will now take up dirt and body oils. It is this and the leeching of some of the natural wood oils that is probably making the neck feel sticky.

For modern finishes a php balanced hand soap and warm water will cut through all the grime and give a nice clean shine. Use a 100% cotton cloth.
Old 01.15.12, 11:59 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Question

I would be very careful using anything with a lot of water in it if you have exposed wood. I've used 95% rubbing alcohol (even vodka in an emergency) with good results to remove oils. It evaporates quickly. For finished areas, Clorox Cleanup works well. I realize both of these have a little water in them. The trick is to do it quickly and wipe it dry immediately. It's always smart to test a small area first. If it is a very valuable vintage instrument that has been neglected, take it to a good pro shop and have it cleaned and set up. I keep a piece of an old T shirt in my kit to wipe down my strings after I play if I remember. I change strings every third gig or when they go stale if I have a break.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 01.16.12, 8:39 AM

beerski is on a distinguished road
If its not a vintage instrument or one you're worried about preserving you can definitely sand the neck a bit on the backside to make it less sticky. I did that on my newer tele with a really fine grit, and it took it from gloss to kind of satin so my hand doesn't stick anymore. Don't go too far though and expose any wood.
Soldano HR50+

Rig Thread
Old 01.18.12, 2:41 AM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
I've used 95% rubbing alcohol (even vodka in an emergency) with good results to remove oils.
That is the most rock thing I've heard on here in a while - douse your Strat in vodka!

But +1 on keeping an old cotton t-shirt on hand to wipe you guitar down after a gig. Simplest, cheapest and best thing you can do.
Old 01.23.12, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
That is the most rock thing I've heard on here in a while - douse your Strat in vodka!

But +1 on keeping an old cotton t-shirt on hand to wipe you guitar down after a gig. Simplest, cheapest and best thing you can do.
A lot of the old guys would used lighter fluid too. But be careful. You would be surprised what you can do with match sticks, match books, tooth picks, qtips, pencils, fingernail polish, etc to effect emergency repairs and maintenance on the road by broke musicians. I would use extra fine steel wool if you want to scuff the back of the neck.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 01.24.12, 4:49 AM

asatbluesboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A lot of the old guys would used lighter fluid too. But be careful. You would be surprised what you can do with match sticks, match books, tooth picks, qtips, pencils, fingernail polish, etc to effect emergency repairs and maintenance on the road by broke musicians. I would use extra fine steel wool if you want to scuff the back of the neck.
One of these old guys' last name was Hendrix, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP
Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.
Old 01.24.12, 11:52 AM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asatbluesboy View Post
One of these old guys' last name was Hendrix, right?
I dont think that was a repair he did lol.

lighter fluid+match+strat=???

I use baby oil on my fret board then use the tiny little bit left on the rag on the neck. Scratch out auto polish is what was always recomended to me for more modern finishes older ones id think a baby wipe would be your best and safest bet for the body.

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.
Old 01.24.12, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbccars924 View Post
I dont think that was a repair he did lol.

lighter fluid+match+strat=???

I use baby oil on my fret board then use the tiny little bit left on the rag on the neck. Scratch out auto polish is what was always recomended to me for more modern finishes older ones id think a baby wipe would be your best and safest bet for the body.
Legend has it that Frank Zappa ended up with that guitar, rebuilt, and used it. If memory serves me, he added a piezoo pickup under the neck joint too. I would be very careful with the baby oil. I have several guitars with rosewood fretboards that are over 30 years old, a couple over 50. I have never needed to oil them. But conditions vary.

Old 01.24.12, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Legend has it that Frank Zappa ended up with that guitar, rebuilt, and used it. If memory serves me, he added a piezoo pickup under the neck joint too.
My memory tells me the same, but it's especially hazy on the piezo thing.

Quote:

Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.
Old 01.24.12, 3:28 PM

jonny-b-brown is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Frank ended up with that strat and added a piezo, and now Dweezil has it and occasionally uses it.
Old 01.25.12, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
Yeah, Frank ended up with that strat and added a piezo, and now Dweezil has it and occasionally uses it.
Came here to add that. Beat me to it.

Quote:

Old 01.25.12, 10:54 PM

fbccars924 is on a distinguished road
ive never had problems with it but i use it mainly for winter care bc it gets really friggin dry here in the midwest.

Hamer(standard tuning) Ernie ball Slinkies
Alvarez Dana Scoop (standard tuning) D'adarrio 10's
LTD EC200qxm (standard tuning) EB Slinkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
No love for vintage strings? Let me guess, you play EMGs into a Line 6 and think Jim Root is better than Jimi Hendrix.