Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.16.08, 6:05 AM

deanmoriarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ibanez super 58 pickups vs. Gibson 57' / burstbucker

i have an ibanez john scofield model semi-hollow electric and was thinking of "upgrading" pickups to a gibson 57 classic in the neck and a burstbucker # 2 in the bridge.

any thoughts on the comparisons between these and the stock ibanez super 58's?

better tone?

Old 05.17.08, 6:20 AM

Adey is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the Burstbuckers are Alnico V, so plenty of grunt and a bit of snap too. Not cheap though.

Depends what material you play I guess.. If you're a rock player I'd stick with the stock Ibanez 58s. If you're a fusionist or blueser you might appreciate swapping power for a fatter tone in which case think about the gibsons or maybe some Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs..
Guitars ~ Fender Highway Strat (upgraded model), Fender Classic 60s Strat, 2 Seymour Duncan powered Squire Strats, Fender Toronado GT, Gretsch Pro Jet, Yamaha RGX A2 & 2 Pacifica 112, Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio powered Model 3 h/s/s Charvel. Semour Duncan/Trev Wilkinson powered Vintage VS6 SG, Vintage V100MRPGM "Lemon Drop" (relic'd Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul tribute), PRS SE Maple Soapbar II, Ibanez SA260FM and Seymour Duncan powered Squire 51.

Amps ~ Fender Blues Junior modded with Celestion Vintage 30 driver, Ashdown Peacemaker 40watt tube combo, Grainger Valve Junior 5watt & Hughes Kettner Edition Blue 60 watt combo.

Effects (highlights only) ~ Blackstar valve Boost, TC Electronics 'Vintage Overdrive', Vox Cooltron 'Snake Charmer' tube compressor, Vox Cooltron Brit Boost, Boss DM2 analogue delay, Digitech 'Crossroads' Clapton signature pedal, Boss Dyna Drive, Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb amp modeller, Boss Fender Bassman modeller and (too) many more.

BOSS DM2 pedal for sale - immaculate, boxed, with manual, owned from new. Message me before it goes on Ebay - SOLD..
Old 05.17.08, 7:55 AM

deanmoriarty is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah thats what i liked about the burstbucker.

i wanted something a little different in the bridge and a nice clear and fat sounding neck like maybe the 57' for "better" tone.

but i guess i was unsure as to how the super58s stack up against gibsons. i assume that the gibsons will have a better tone, but am not sure