Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.12.12, 10:31 PM

Supergrunged is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Supergrunged
Les Paul on Crack

Okay, so I've been looking around, and seeing what's called P-94s, and P-100s.... Sound freaken awesome to me, and well, may work for my high gain situation. Leaning twords the p-100s as I prefer humbuckers, but not seeing any in humbucker sized????

Here's whats funny: Currently in my Les Paul, I have pickups from a '98 Gibson Flying V, and 1 Meg Ohm pots.....

Thinking about going some route like P-100s, but I'm definately open to suggestions. I don't exactly want to go the single coil route, but I'm thinking a fat tone clean, good under distortion.... Have a feeling, it would only be the neck pickup that gets switched out at that point, but suggestions, comments, and complaints

And I play metal, but I enjoy my clean jazzy tones too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-b-brown View Post
strats. It's like their own form of puberty.

Old 01.13.12, 7:39 AM

malcom is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to malcom
I'm pretty certain a P-100 is intended to be a "noiseless" P-90. It probably will not be great for the metal tone you seek.

With these questions, it's always a great help to mention a few artists/bands whose tone you admire.

"If you can't deliver it like a garage band, **** it."- Mark E. Smith
Old 01.13.12, 12:48 PM

roba03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Regardless of your metal inclinations I always prefer to have a single coil type sound in the neck. You might be able to get a coil tap on the pickup and that could be the ticket. Otherwise I would look into a humbucker sized p-90 I know more than a few different companies make them. P-rails might be the ultimate in versatility, are a direct replacement for hb sized pickups and they seem to be pretty popular at the moment thought I've never tried them so I can't comment on what they sound like.

Seymour Duncan SHPR-2b P-Rails Hot Electric Guitar Pickup Prails P90 Humbucker (800315035717) | eBay
Old 01.13.12, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcom View Post
I'm pretty certain a P-100 is intended to be a "noiseless" P-90. It probably will not be great for the metal tone you seek.

With these questions, it's always a great help to mention a few artists/bands whose tone you admire.
Bands are hard to mention these days.... Let's just say, I go from Bring Me The Horizon/ Cannibal Corpse/ The Black Dahlia Murder, with many others, to 80's Van Halen/ Steel Panther/ Dio, to jazzy stuff with the neck pickup, looking up more to gypsy jazz, Stochelo Rosenberg esque.....

I'm mainly looking into suggestions on what's out there, output shouldn't really be an issue, I really don't like Gibson burstbuckers, but love PRS McCarty's..... And now currently, I have pots that make humbuckers sound close to single coils, very full, but I'm looking for a more fatter "umph". I've heard many Jazzmasters, and really love the tone of them, but playing one, not really a fan.... Cool, and I'd like one, could get one, just well, I don't, I love my Les Paul more. I've also enjoyed the tones of the older mini humbuckers as well......

Guess I'd probly look into a more fatter sounding humbucker.... Just have a feeling, as the ouput goes up, I'm going to have to custom order higher resistance pots as well. Any help would be appreciated, but I'd really call this an open forum on pickups.....

Quote:
Old 01.14.12, 9:27 AM

Insomniak is on a distinguished road
I posted before about P-100's, specifically the black soapbar ones mounted in my bandmate's Gibson ES-135.

I would not recommend them. Even in the bridge position with the knobs cranked to 10, they sound muddy and thick, not good for rock, not good for jazz, not good for anything. I honestly don't know what Gibson was thinking, they should've stuck with regular P-90's, or perhaps mini-humbuckers.

speaking of which, mini hums are probably what he's going to put in that guitar, on my recommendation, even though it will have to have the mounting screws drilled into the sides of the rout, because P-100's are mounted through the pickup like P-90's. The guitar itself just screams George Thorogood.

In short, you would have to BE on crack to put P-100's in anything.
Norman B-20 (6) Acoustic

Boss AB-2 -> Boss CS-3 -> ISP Decimator -> Boss DS-2 (with footswitch) -> Marshall Bluesbreaker II -> Boss FBM-1 -> Ernie Ball VPJR -> DigiTech RP-300

Roland Jazz Chorus 90 (2x10)
Fender Chorus DSP (2x10)
Old 01.18.12, 2:46 AM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
The Fralin Split Single p92's could be worth investigating - humbucker sized hum cancelling p90 style pickups. Haven't tried them myself but I've always been curious... don't have a suitable guitar for them but often consider getting a Les Paul or something and putting them in...
Old 01.18.12, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
The Fralin Split Single p92's could be worth investigating - humbucker sized hum cancelling p90 style pickups. Haven't tried them myself but I've always been curious... don't have a suitable guitar for them but often consider getting a Les Paul or something and putting them in...
okay... !@#$ I NEED THOSE!!! Just looked, and they can wind them quite hot!!!! Yes, !@#$en A, I NEED THEM!!!! Sound like exactly what I'm looking for!

Quote:
Old 01.18.12, 6:49 PM

fiveways is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to fiveways
P100's are just fine for metal. I use them often.
Old 01.18.12, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveways View Post
P100's are just fine for metal. I use them often.
Also have 1 Meg ohm pots, which makes just fine for metal, more metal Don't know much, as I've always been using hot pickups, from Duncan Livewire Metals, EMGs, Duncan Invaders, Gibson 498 and 500Ts, used JBs and Dimarzio Distortions for a while..... In the neck, the 496 or 490 for Gibsons, Duncan 59 or the stock pickup.... I've had too many pickups, and so far, I can not say I've honestly truly been happy with my cleans and distorted tones..... I'd basically like to be able to go from Janis Joplin to Cannibal Corpse with the same pickups....... Only though I had was going back to a strat......

Quote:
Old 01.19.12, 2:05 AM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunged View Post
okay... !@#$ I NEED THOSE!!! Just looked, and they can wind them quite hot!!!! Yes, !@#$en A, I NEED THEM!!!! Sound like exactly what I'm looking for!
Let me know if you get some - I'm very curious about these suckers and my experience with other Fralins has been nothing short of awesome.
Old 01.23.12, 6:36 AM

keksdose is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunged View Post
[...]
I've heard many Jazzmasters, and really love the tone of them, but playing one, not really a fan.... Cool, and I'd like one, could get one, just well, I don't, I love my Les Paul more. [...]
It might need a bit modification: how about jazzmaster pick-ups in a les paul?? I would certainly be interested to learn how that sounds like!!