Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02.27.06, 1:14 PM

piel is an unknown quantity at this point
which middle pickup for a tele?

i'm currently giving my tele a work over and i've decided to put a middle pickup in, but i'm not sure which ones would 'work'.

i currently have a fender texas special tele in the bridge, and a sey dunc hot rails (i think it's actually a strat neck pup) in the neck.

anyone got any suggestions what'd make a nice 3rd edition? i'm thinking about perhaps putting the hot rails in the middle and getting a blue lace sensor for the bridge. i'm after quite a warm tone but with clarity, nothing too muddy. i need something that'll compliment the 2 i already have. any ideas?

also, my tone & volume pots are shagged and i've been looking for new ones but i dont understand such complex things as electronics so does anyone know the difference between using 250k, 500k and 1mg pots and all this split/solid business. is it just louder the higher you go?

thanks, david

Old 02.27.06, 2:59 PM

i lied. it's a no-caster clean tele custom shop in the bridge, not a texas special
Old 02.27.06, 3:24 PM

semihllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a Gold Lace Sensor in my Tele's middle position, with GFS vintage tele neck and bridge pick ups. The output of all three pick-ups match well, and the Gold Lace's warm, clean sound provides a nice alternative to the tele p/u's raspiness. If you do go Lace, you may want to consider output - Lace has impedance levels across the board and you'll want to consider if you want your pick-ups to blend, or if you don't want a huge volume jump when you switch p/u's.

My geeked rig

Maestro volume/wah>Dynacomp>HBE Germania>TS9 RI Tube Screamer>(Russian)Big Muff Pi>Small Clone>Small Stone>Dano PB&J>Fender DGL1>[stereo]>Vox Cambridge 30 and VR30
Old 02.27.06, 4:36 PM

thanks, i didnt think of that.

so i have a 9.8k in the bridge, keep the cool rails at the neck (not hot rails in hindsight) which are 9.4, so i'm thinking maybe a lace sensor burgandy at a nice 9.0k in the middle. that could sound quite sweet.

any thoughts anyone?
Old 02.27.06, 5:02 PM
Super Moderator

teleman is on a distinguished road
Re: which middle pickup for a tele?

Quote:
Originally posted by piel
also, my tone & volume pots are shagged and i've been looking for new ones but i dont understand such complex things as electronics so does anyone know the difference between using 250k, 500k and 1mg pots and all this split/solid business. is it just louder the higher you go?

thanks, david
As far as the pickups go, have some fun experimenting. That's the only way you'll find your favorite.

The split/solid shaft is really simple. Take off the knobs. Look at the shaft. If it's solid, then it's a solid shaft. if it has a notch cut into it, it's a split shaft.

Split shfts are used for push-on knobs, like strat have. Real tele knobs are screw-on, so the need a solid shaft to stay secure.

Electronic guys, please correct me if this is wrong:
\Alll the numbers mean is the range of rolloff. For example, a 250K pot has less of a range than a 1meg pot. So while the pots will have the same range of travel, the 1meg will have more points in between. If that makes any sense, let me know

also, read this:

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...eeinfo/fi.html

see my sale/trade thread
Old 02.28.06, 8:07 AM

thanks mate, that's a great help
Old 02.28.06, 9:26 AM

I would think the Burgundy sensor would make a nice compliment to what is already a pretty "hot" mix of p/u's (for a tele). The lace's have the advantage of consistantly putting out a very "strat" glassiness. Of course there are other options, such as SD's, Fralin's or any number of boutique numbers - which I can't help you with as I've never gone down that road.

My geeked rig

Maestro volume/wah>Dynacomp>HBE Germania>TS9 RI Tube Screamer>(Russian)Big Muff Pi>Small Clone>Small Stone>Dano PB&J>Fender DGL1>[stereo]>Vox Cambridge 30 and VR30
Old 03.01.06, 7:54 AM

i agree, i think i'm gonna go for it.

on a related note, would routing out a hole in the body to create space for a middle pup change the sound of the guitar drastically? surely these things are engineered for optimum tone.
Old 03.01.06, 9:21 AM

I don't believe so, at least not significantly. Theoretically there should be a change in tone from the routing, but as long is you don't take to much wood out I wouldn't think it would be drastic. It seems most strats these days are "bathtub" routed, which is much more extreme than altering a tele for a middle p/u, and that's usually considered a plus.

My geeked rig

Old 03.01.06, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by semihllw
I don't believe so, at least not significantly. Theoretically there should be a change in tone from the routing, but as long is you don't take to much wood out I wouldn't think it would be drastic. It seems most strats these days are "bathtub" routed, which is much more extreme than altering a tele for a middle p/u, and that's usually considered a plus.
thanks semi, that's mighty reassuring
Old 03.02.06, 9:29 AM

del is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to chime in with a related question: How do you determine the proper placement of the middle pickup? Can it be "too close" to either the exiting bridge or neck pickups? Does it have to be right in the middle? Should it be located underneath some specific harmonic frequency point?

I've been thinkg about just this issue and would very much like to know the logic behind doing this.

~del
OR (noisy, not true bypass at all) ---> 70s morley power fuzz wah + dod 490 phasor
---> randall commander 210 - epiphone valve junior - univox minimax u4100: 1x15

THE FALL: totally wired ++ THE FALL: big new prinz ++ THE FALL: bombast/crusiers creek
DEVO ++ THE DIRTBOMBS ++ THE KING BROTHERS
Old 03.02.06, 9:35 AM
Super Moderator

teleman is on a distinguished road
as far as placement, all I did was get a precut pickguard and went from there.

see my sale/trade thread
Old 03.02.06, 10:34 AM

del is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by teleman
as far as placement, all I did was get a precut pickguard and went from there.
But what if I wanted it to put the middle pickup closer to the neck? Is there a logic that dictates better or worse places to position a pickup?

I'm thinking that with some neat switching trickery I could have the neck position be either of two single coils or a combo that was humbucker-ish. And I like the look of having two single coils near the neck rather than just a traditional single coil... it harkens back to some bizarro 60's guitars that had three pickups in weird non-evenly-spaced combinations.
~del
OR (noisy, not true bypass at all) ---> 70s morley power fuzz wah + dod 490 phasor
---> randall commander 210 - epiphone valve junior - univox minimax u4100: 1x15

THE FALL: totally wired ++ THE FALL: big new prinz ++ THE FALL: bombast/crusiers creek
DEVO ++ THE DIRTBOMBS ++ THE KING BROTHERS
Old 03.02.06, 10:46 AM

Quote:
But what if I wanted it to put the middle pickup closer to the neck? Is there a logic that dictates better or worse places to position a pickup?
That's a good question, may involve math or something. Alternatively you could always go with dual singles, like those things Lace advertises. They're the only ones that come to mind but I'm sure other companies sell them, or you could get singles, slot them next to each other and reverse them so they hum cancel.

My geeked rig