Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08.22.06, 10:04 PM

boyecho is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to boyecho
New Mosrite!

Hey all. I just got my brand new japan Mosrite Mark I delivered today. First of all...

new pictures 09/05/06! click here.

It's the vibramute tailpeice "Super Excellent '65" model. The neck is finished all around to match the body. The pickups are close to original Mosrite pickups while being somewhat akin to a jaguar. The finish is beautiful, the neck binding is fantastic, and the weight is balanced nicely. a tad neck heavy.

The electronics are eh. The volume pot drops the volume off all the way within half a turn, so i'll look into replacing it. The pickup switch feels rather cheap too, so i'll be changing that out along with the crappy kluson copy tuners.

My only real issue with the guitar is while it lacks a proper setup, after doing a super deep bend on the vibrato the guitar doesn't return immediately to pitch, i have to do a quick yank up on the bar and it resets itself perfectly in tune. A setup and possibly a stronger spring should fix this.

The tones are really nice. It's the perfect middle ground between my slightly hot and twangy strat and my much more mellow and 'round' mosrite hollowbody. I'll get some proper pictures of everything soon as well as some soundclips later on.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. i've waited something like 5 or 6 years to own a ventures style mosrite. I'm pretty much done with buying gear until i get in a proper band, and the need for something different arises.

the way, the truth, and the light [mea philosophia]

Last edited by boyecho; 09.06.06 at 7:12 PM.

Old 08.23.06, 1:16 AM

BobaFrett is an unknown quantity at this point
*splurrsssshhhhhuuuurrrrgllllleeeeeevveeeeeiiiiiss ssstttttt*

that was the sound of my creaming in my pants after seeing that guitar.
Emma ReezaFRATzitz
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Ibanez FP-777 Flying Pan
Digitech PDS1002
Boss TU-2
dunlop tortex picks knifed up for grip//dunlop thumb picks//brass guitar picks// dunlop glass slides//adam&eve bullet style vibrators//ebow//violin bows//my bong//beer bottles(full)//1980's era magnavox t.v. remotes//black and decker portable drill//toy rayguns
Old 08.23.06, 3:48 AM

buddhaguitarist is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet action, man. How does the neck feel to you? I've played a few Mosrites (never had the money at the right time though...) and have experienced a couple of really different neck profiles. Is the painted neck sticky at all?
Old 08.23.06, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buddhaguitarist
Sweet action, man. How does the neck feel to you? I've played a few Mosrites (never had the money at the right time though...) and have experienced a couple of really different neck profiles. Is the painted neck sticky at all?
of the two mosrites i have, the new one has a thinner smaller neck than the original 67 hollowbody.

i was very worried about the 'sticky neck' problem with finished necks, but i manage it on my other mosrite. this new one seems to be much smoother. but the true test will be gigging a sweaty club with it. i've had no issues so far, i'm rather surprised.

the frets are a little taller and rounder than my old mosrite, and the radius feels flatter. the action is super low. it needs a setup, i have buzz here and there.

oh, and boba frett.. thanks for the.. erm.. descriptive comment!

Last edited by boyecho; 08.23.06 at 2:48 PM.
Old 08.23.06, 8:32 PM
high commander

guitargeek is on a distinguished road
the ultimate spacey desing... stunning guitar... saw the ventures once and have loved mosrites since.
-----------------------------------
bands
alison's halo | geek'd rig
lochheed | geek'd rig
insta
-----------------------------------
jetpackmods xp pedal conversions -
xp-1000 mod - This modification enables any xp pedal to switch between all four xp modules. This means you will have the xp-100 whammy, xp-200 modulator, xp-300 space station and xp-400 reverberator all in ONE pedal! pre-modded xp1000s also available: pm me for pricing & availability
Old 08.23.06, 11:33 PM

idiot glee is an unknown quantity at this point
*uck you man!

I mean...

Lucky man, you!

Mayhaps it's coincidence I was listening to The Ventures when I found this? (Just got the CD to boot)

How much? Where?
Are there any left?
Can I have yours?*
What amp you pumping it thru?
What about some samples man?

*not at all serious but it never hurts to ask

Red Fender MIM Stratocaster (now with Lace Sensors) > Dunlop Crybaby > Danelectro DanEcho > Roland MicroCube
Old 08.24.06, 12:14 AM

how much- quite a bit for my tastes [i like the cheap stuff]
where- an outside sale off the radar
availability- maybe, but if you're serious, PM me and i'll help you.
can you have mine- heck no.
amps- there is another thread here pretty much describing the rest of my junk.
samples- sure. i plan on giving it a go someday soon. my only problem is i lack any sort of recording setup other than my laptop mic.

i really appreciate the comments. and thanks for the thumbs up, guitargeek! the guitar is like a liquidy quasar glowing in the corner of my room.

Old 08.24.06, 12:20 AM

Talent?! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Talent?!
That's a beaut, I've got a soft spot for Mosrites.

You're a lucky guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by thelabia {regarding glow in the dark furbies}
WOW!!! That'd rock!
Or you could give them spandex and facepaint and use the enclosure to hold Illegal furbie cage matches...
Theres never a dull moment with an empty krank head...
Quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead
If crack made a noise then the X2N would make the same noise.
Old 08.24.06, 12:50 AM

idiot glee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by boyecho
how much- quite a bit for my tastes [i like the cheap stuff]
Looking at the rest of your stuff, and how much you spent on your stuff, and you saying that it was "quite a bit for your tastes" I think I'll go (err) Mosrite-less (yeah that's it) for years to come...

Oh well! *runs off to the Eastwood Guitars website to ogle their stuff*

Still nice stuff, congrats!

Red Fender MIM Stratocaster (now with Lace Sensors) > Dunlop Crybaby > Danelectro DanEcho > Roland MicroCube
Old 08.24.06, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by idiot glee
Looking at the rest of your stuff, and how much you spent on your stuff, and you saying that it was "quite a bit for your tastes" I think I'll go (err) Mosrite-less (yeah that's it) for years to come...

Oh well! *runs off to the Eastwood Guitars website to ogle their stuff*

Still nice stuff, congrats!
well. the new mosrite is the most expensive thing i own. you could get an american fender for what i paid. but, i prefer this to most american fenders, as i think my strat is about all the strat i need. yet it wasn't more than a jazzmaster.

as for the rest of my stuff. i got decent deals on much of it. especially the v4 halfstack. that was a total of around 375 dollars. the only item i spent over 400 on was my mosrite hollowbody. that was 425, if i remember correctly. now they're going for nearly double on ebay.

Old 08.24.06, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

teleman is on a distinguished road
nice!

see my sale/trade thread
Old 08.29.06, 4:49 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Very cool, I can't imagine the neck being as skinny as the one on my Celebrity. Everyone that plays mine can't believe how thin it is (and why the truss rod doesn't break through). Im' sure it sounds great through the Reverberocket. The pickups on the Celebrity are pretty hot and far too noisy - are the reissues as bad about that?

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Old 08.29.06, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cubby
Very cool, I can't imagine the neck being as skinny as the one on my Celebrity. Everyone that plays mine can't believe how thin it is (and why the truss rod doesn't break through). Im' sure it sounds great through the Reverberocket. The pickups on the Celebrity are pretty hot and far too noisy - are the reissues as bad about that?
dude. the neck is THINNER. i am dead serious. i didn't think it was possible. but it feels solid enough. to be honest, i'd like a fatter neck on it, closer to the celebrity.

and, the pickups on my celebrity aren't noisy in the slightest. the guitar is dead quiet. [surprisingly]. only when i'm around computers or right up on my amp do i get any hum. same with the mark i. didn't you restore yours? maybe it's something with the wiring. are they super microphonic?

Old 08.29.06, 8:01 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by boyecho
dude. the neck is THINNER. i am dead serious. i didn't think it was possible. but it feels solid enough. to be honest, i'd like a fatter neck on it, closer to the celebrity.

and, the pickups on my celebrity aren't noisy in the slightest. the guitar is dead quiet. [surprisingly]. only when i'm around computers or right up on my amp do i get any hum. same with the mark i. didn't you restore yours? maybe it's something with the wiring. are they super microphonic?
Not microphonic - just the old 60 cycle. It's just difficult to shield anything and there is absolutely no shielding to the original wiring - just that old gray, Radio Shack style radio wiring. I have thought about looking for the old Gibson-style pot surrounds but I don't play it out so it hasn't been a pressing need.

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Old 09.02.06, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cubby
Not microphonic - just the old 60 cycle. It's just difficult to shield anything and there is absolutely no shielding to the original wiring - just that old gray, Radio Shack style radio wiring. I have thought about looking for the old Gibson-style pot surrounds but I don't play it out so it hasn't been a pressing need.
aha. i do get that sort of buzz on the hollowbody too, but as i mentioned, only when i'm near something like a computer, right up near an amp, or if there are flourescent lights around. at bar shows, we used to have to covertly switch off the neon lights in the windows. sometimes even the 'open' sign.

not really any worse or less than other single coil guitars i have.

Last edited by boyecho; 09.02.06 at 9:47 AM.