Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.19.05, 10:37 PM

kmcypress is an unknown quantity at this point
New Pickups for a Sheraton....P-90's/Humbuckers?

Damn!

As some of you may/may not know. I have been wanting to mod my Sheraton since early April!!! Well, I have had bad GAS for other things (see my effect pedals) and I haven't really had the money to actually do it. Now I'm kicking myself in the face for waiting so long.

Anyway,

Now that I have the money I really want to get new pickups for my Sheraton (among other modifications) and I was wondering which route you guys think I should go. I have been checking out the Seymour Duncan Phat-Cats (which are basically humbucker sized P-90's) as well as the Pearly Gates and 59's. I basically want something that is punchy yet not too bright or muddy and doesn't add to the feedback that the Sheraton already has with the stock pickups which is one thing I'm worried about with the Phat-Cats--Will they give me too much feedback and/or be too bright? What do you guys think about the other pickups?

My geeked rig is in my sig. I normally crank the master on the jmp and add in some pre so its loud with a normal amount of overdrive. The kind of tone I really want is The Black Crowes kind of crunch. If it means anything...I always keep the Sheraton in Open "G" now.

Sorry its so long...thanks for the help!

Kevin
Digitech Tone Driver ---35$
Digitech Main Squeeze--35$

All w/ original box and paperwork. Shipping not included. PM me for more info/pics and we'll go from there...

Old 10.19.05, 10:58 PM

omgitsnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think I've ever played a P-90 that was anywhere near too bright.
Old 10.20.05, 1:20 PM

diogo is an unknown quantity at this point
idd be very interested in knowing something about this myself so consider it a semi-bump..

ive settled on an epi dot, and want to put one P90 in there, but it has to work well with the dubious humbucker epiphone provides..i would think that the sheraton and dot have the same pickups..but im not too sure..

anyway, any P90's sugestions that can fit that specific humbucker slot, wether or not its better to place it on the bridge or in the neck, wich output in order to make it work with the humbucker, etc, are very welcome..
Old 10.20.05, 2:40 PM

I Heart Fuzz is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think phat cats would sound too bright, but I have heard that they can be microphonic in semi-hollowbodies. Though I'm not sure if it's because of output or a lack of wax potting.

Playing a semi-hollow through a JMP and completely avoiding feedback is going to prove very tricky.

diogo, p-90's sound great in the neck position. If you you're only going to buy one of them, I'd recommend the neck. The only humbucker-sized p-90s I know of besides phat cats are Gibson p-94's. Oh yeah, and I think Rio Grande makes one too, but I forget the name.
Old 10.20.05, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by I Heart Fuzz
diogo, p-90's sound great in the neck position. If you you're only going to buy one of them, I'd recommend the neck. The only humbucker-sized p-90s I know of besides phat cats are Gibson p-94's. Oh yeah, and I think Rio Grande makes one too, but I forget the name.
fuzz, great help, thanks a lot..

sorry if im hijacking the thread but, could you develop a bit more on the phat cat (i cant justify the price of the gibson p94, and the seymour duncan doesnt have any sound samples for the phat cat)...what do you think about it? how does it sound? does it get microphonic on all hollow bodies? - that would be a major turn off :/

btw, do you think that a dubious humbucker (that i can always upgrade later of course) and a phat cat are a good match? for the humbucker im thinking of something like the alnico II pro APH-1....i like the sound samples..what do you think?

thanks again!

Last edited by diogo; 10.20.05 at 6:45 PM.
Old 10.20.05, 11:41 PM

garyfanclub is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to garyfanclub
I've also got a Sheraton, albiet not here at the University, or I'd make you a sound clip. Anyhow, I too was dissatisfied with the stock Epi Humbuckers so I got them replaced late last year with Gibson P94s. Definitely made a huge difference in tone.

I've only played actual p90s once and that was in an old Gibson es330, awesome awesome jazz tone.

I'd say go for P94s though, I never liked the Phat Cats, they sounded waaay too much like humbuckers for my tastes. The P94's had a hell of a lot more character when going straight into the amp so I went for them.

I'm not really sure how to describe the tone because they're so versatile, you can go from BB King esque round, fat, ring to early Zeppelin style stuff. It's an extremely vintage sound, probably sounds the best w/ just a tiny bit of dirt. The feedback isn't too bad as they are wax potted but I wouldn't a Sheraton for death metal anyhow. If you do go for P94's though, get both the neck and the bridge pickups, as the inbetween position is a really nice and full rhythm tone.

If you can't find a guitar with P94s in the store, find one with minihumbuckers, they sound very similar. Just remember that a minihum w/ the volume on 10 is like a P94 with the volume on 5 or 6.

Hope that helps!
Old 10.21.05, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by garyfanclub
I've also got a Sheraton, albiet not here at the University, or I'd make you a sound clip. Anyhow, I too was dissatisfied with the stock Epi Humbuckers so I got them replaced late last year with Gibson P94s. Definitely made a huge difference in tone.

I've only played actual p90s once and that was in an old Gibson es330, awesome awesome jazz tone.

I'd say go for P94s though, I never liked the Phat Cats, they sounded waaay too much like humbuckers for my tastes. The P94's had a hell of a lot more character when going straight into the amp so I went for them.

I'm not really sure how to describe the tone because they're so versatile, you can go from BB King esque round, fat, ring to early Zeppelin style stuff. It's an extremely vintage sound, probably sounds the best w/ just a tiny bit of dirt. The feedback isn't too bad as they are wax potted but I wouldn't a Sheraton for death metal anyhow. If you do go for P94's though, get both the neck and the bridge pickups, as the inbetween position is a really nice and full rhythm tone.

If you can't find a guitar with P94s in the store, find one with minihumbuckers, they sound very similar. Just remember that a minihum w/ the volume on 10 is like a P94 with the volume on 5 or 6.

Hope that helps!
garyfanclub, thanks a lot man, it surelly helps..

the P94's immediatly make me frown, its a big price tag...but if its THAT different, then ill save up and go with it...thing is, idd really like to keep one humbucker...i kind of need that sound (think neil young)...but then again, maybe the P94 can make that as well...what do you think? i guess if it covers zeplin, itll cover neil young, the tone aint the same, but its more or less the same way of taking gain..
Old 10.21.05, 7:32 AM

digo-I asked motor head about this and here's what he said:

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead
As much as I don't like Gibson P-94s for personal reasons they do give out that great Crowes grind. I found that Phat Cats have more bass and simply more character then P-94s.

Usually I would just park the PU selector in the middle position which will kill the 60 cycle hum, get that patented Crowes tone and go nuts with the wah.

Feedback will be a problem but much less then with the stock Sheraton PUs. Simple fact : Better PU (P-Cats or P-94s).

Do have a volume pedal that you can cut the signal with?
... when in the middle position you can jump on that when it starts to loop out of control.

Maybe look into Rio Grande's 'Bastard' PUs (don't know anything about them). Normally P-90s like single coils aren't wax potted to prevent feedback but some PU makers add a coat of lacquer. This was started by Fender in the '70s to prevent external factors from getting to the coils and reduce the noise and feedback.

There's no way around it that your Sheraton will feedback but with time and some effort I'm sure you will be able to contol it and even use it to your benefit. Not everybody is Ted Nugent but I'm sure even he started somewhere.

PM me if you have other question and I'll be glad to help.
still don't know which way I'm gonna go but I'm almost pausitive that I want humbucker sized P-90's

thanks for the hlep guys!

All w/ original box and paperwork. Shipping not included. PM me for more info/pics and we'll go from there...
Old 10.21.05, 8:46 AM

Motorhead is on a distinguished road
Another issue is speakers. They are part of the loop.

Hate to add more to the dilemma but Greenbacks with non potted PUs will feedback easier.

I'm no speaker expert so I don't know if it's wattage or sensitivity or something else but I've been told by a few techs that Greenbacks are the worst in causing excess feedback with unpotted PUs. Food for thought.

Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.
Old 10.21.05, 8:54 AM

ScutFarkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget about the GFS Dream 90 . I have one in the neck of my Douglas SH-90 and it sounds great. It was only $30 and I get no feedback from it.
Guitar: '62 RI Jazzmaster or 1968 Harmony H-72 or SX SST62 Short Scale w/ GFS Pro Tube Lipstick PUP or Ibanez Jet King w/ GFS Vintage Split and Brooklyn PUPS or Douglas SH-90 w/ GFS Liverpool and Dream 90 PUPs or Squier Affinity Strat -> BYOC Tonebender -> Super Chile Picoso -> Ernie Ball VP Jr. -> TU-2 -> French Toast -> DD-3 -> Mini Q-Tron -> Intelliphase -> Phase 90 - > SD-1 (w/ Chocolate mod by IndyGuitarist) -> ReezaFRATzitz -> USA Big Muff Pi -> Vox V848 -> OC-3 -> Small Clone -> Philtre -> Tap Tremolo -> 1965 Silvertone 1457 (I'm in a tiny dorm now)
Old 10.21.05, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by diogo
garyfanclub, thanks a lot man, it surelly helps..

the P94's immediatly make me frown, its a big price tag...but if its THAT different, then ill save up and go with it...thing is, idd really like to keep one humbucker...i kind of need that sound (think neil young)...but then again, maybe the P94 can make that as well...what do you think? i guess if it covers zeplin, itll cover neil young, the tone aint the same, but its more or less the same way of taking gain..
Hey, I wish I knew what a P94 + Humbucker (cheap '57 classic in stock Sheratons) sounded like, but I do not. Sorry man. Motorhead says they don't have "character" but I don't think the P94 was really intended to be a P90 clone. I've heard someone say it sounded like a P90 + a really hot vintage strat pickup.
Old 10.21.05, 10:00 AM

Motorhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by garyfanclub
Hey, I wish I knew what a P94 + Humbucker (cheap '57 classic in stock Sheratons) sounded like, but I do not. Sorry man. Motorhead says they don't have "character" but I don't think the P94 was really intended to be a P90 clone. I've heard someone say it sounded like a P90 + a really hot vintage strat pickup.
Neither the p-94 or the P-Cats sound like P-90s. They just have some of the characteristics of a P-90 like high attack, more mids, a bit hotter then a vintage single coil.

I just found that the P-Cats were less flatly EQ'ed then the P-94s and the P-Cats were more mid scooped.

Nevertheless, neither sound like a hot vintage single coil because they simply don't have that high resonant peak. It's an electrical issue and not simply subjective tone.

You hit a note with a P-90, P-94 or P-Cat and it hits it's own sweet spot right away. Vintage single coils have that lazy current which is pre-sustain so you get the chance to hang a note seemingly forever.

Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.
Old 10.21.05, 10:56 AM

Since you buy pickups with your ears and not an ammeter, I think subjective accounts are a probably going to be a lot more helpful than explaining how the resonant peak of the pickup affects sound.

Also, I hate to say it but I think you're coming off as a little pretentious when you say, "It doesn't sound like this.. it sounds like this.". What I said was simply an opinion, you might not necessarily agree, but you cannot flat out tell me that what my ears hear is wrong.
Old 10.21.05, 11:29 AM

anoren is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a harmonic design Z-90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge of my SG and I really like the way it sounds. I like the p-90 in the neck as it doesn't really get muddy. The pickups also balance really well in the center position. If I were you I would definitely consider doing the p-90 neck/humbucker bridge combo. Harmonic Design is worth checking out, but they are expensive have a few month waiting list.

adam

edit: you can see pictures of what the pickups look like in my signature.l
'02 Fender Jaguar (American Reissue); '74 Gibson SG (w/ bigsby; Harmonic Design Neck Z-90, Bridge Humbucker)->Ernie Ball Volume (Boss TU-2 in tuner out)->ZVex Fuzz Factory-> Ibanez AD-9 -> Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso-> Uncle Spot Tube Reverb Unit ->Orange AD15/12 (w/ Celestion Blue Alnico; Area 51 Tube Tremolo)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/169966825NrhdJf
My Band's Site:
www.academyny.com
www.myspace.com/academymusic
Old 11.07.05, 8:31 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I decided to go for it and ordered a set of seymour duncan Phat Cats today off Music123.com. It should be interesting how they sound especialy since I've never heard one in a semi-hollow. Once they are installed I'll give ya my review.

Thanks for the help

Kevin