Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Like Tree1Likes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08.18.11, 8:58 AM

sloppy_phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Nobody reads the Bass thread... so: NBD- Rickenbacker 4003

Oh baby. It took more or less a month for everything to clear through paypal and shipping once the money left my account, but yesterday my new Ric 4003 arrived. Well, not so new; it's one of the first production runs, from 1984. Jetglo. Working on photos just to prove it exists (I know how you roll, Gus). This is my 25th birthday present to myself, as nobody else was willing to buy one for me! I thought about the 'proper' Ric holy grail 4001, but I know there was issues with depth of tone in the bridge pickup, and that single truss rod system couldn't really hack it with roundwound strings. So I figured an early production 4003 was the way to go (beefed p'ups and second truss rod sounded good to me)

But seriously. what a beast of an instrument! Even acoustically, it's got that classic punchy growl sound. And it's a good thing I tend to hit the strings a bit like an angry gorilla when I get into it, as that growl/woodiness/whatever-you-call-it really shines through when it's plugged in and played like that. Not nearly as much when I back off my playing. It's got super sustain, and it's versatile as hell. Even the bridge pickup has good depth to it, but that may be helped in part by the amp I use, which is an ancient Ampeg 1x18; everything sounds fat with that speaker! With distortion it's super gnarly. Now all the Yes and Rush bass lines actually sound proper. I'll love my P-bass until the day I die, but it just can't do all the prog I want it to.

And I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the way I represent myself. I think I'm officially a 'bass player' now, considering how much money (gah!!) and consideration has gone to outfit my rig. As it stands, I'm using the Ric or P-bass into a few pedals (tuner > Boss OC-3 > EHX Nano Bassballs > Zakk Wylde OD) and then into that old Ampeg B-18. I've always hesitated to identify with bass first because I played guitar for probably close to 8 years before I even bought my first bass and have always considered it my first musical love. But the truth is I feel my most confident/rock star-ish when I'm rockin' the bass on stage these days. I know I'm a decent guitar player, but I feel like there are more people (at least in my immediate Toronto music scene) who are great guitar players, and way less so for bassists. So I guess I feel better about my own playing as a result. Granted, I'm lead guitar in one band, but the one I really care about is my reggae band, and in truth I love playing reggae bass.

I can't stand gear snobbish people who say that you've gotta spend the top dollar in order to have passable gear (gearslutz/TGP??). However, the far less douchey perspective they're coming from is that sometimes waiting and shelling out some serious dough will get you a serious winner, rather than buying the best you can afford right at that moment. And in this case, considering how much a new Ric costs (and let's not even consider how hard it is to find one w/o a 3 yr wait time), and how much a bunch of the old ones cost, this one was priced pretty fair and I ain't gonna regret having no extra spending cash for the next month or so at all!
mmasonmusic likes this.

Old 08.18.11, 10:48 AM

asatbluesboy is on a distinguished road
Awesomeness. And yes, reggae bass is one of the funnest things to play ever--dub is even better, especially because you can crank the hell out of it.

I know exactly the feeling of being scared of committing to bass. The "most successful" band I've been in had me as their bass player, and it was scary to have spent so much time/money on guitar-related stuff to find myself playing another instrument. The good thing is: 1) I've never been a good guitar player and because of this 2) I eventually learned that any activity that adds to the music is as much rewarding as bangin' a guitar. Nowadays, for example, I enjoy recording/producing/mixing/whatnot as much as actually playing. It's different, granted, but it's great. Most of the time it's also less frustrating, as when I'm playing I can't always find the notes I want...

That's an interesting point you have, about saving to spend on the stuff you've always needed. Good news to me, as the best-playing guitar I've played--apart from the dream-like '66 Jag on my pic that I'll always regret being too poor to buy--is my first guitar. Maybe it plays so well precisely because I've learned to play electric on it, but it's much easier to get a good tone when you feel comfortable playing.

And, yes, pics are needed...

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP
Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

Last edited by asatbluesboy; 08.18.11 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Frustration comment.
Old 08.18.11, 10:49 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear your wait has been worth it. TBH I actually considered taking up bass before buying my first guitar, but realised I needed a bass of my own after starting a home recording project, so I'm coming into the bass playing thing waaay later than planned.

My experience of open mic/jam nights is that of a big crowd of guitarists having a little loudness war but not a bassist or drummer between them. If/when I get into that stuff again, being in possession of a four-stringer (and, hopefully, being able to play the thing properly by that point) might be more helpful.

The bands I've been listening to while trying to get my head around playing bass (Joy Division, Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, early Metallica) prove that a killer bass sound can really make the difference to a song as a whole. Seems to me that you've got a good rig to do exactly that. Enjoy your new purchase!

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 08.18.11, 11:06 AM

jonny-b-brown is on a distinguished road
It's frightening to commit to an instrument when it's not your primary or preferred instrument. I like playing trumpet, sax and harmonica with blues groups, because it does help to be the only one playing that particular instrument. But it can feel limiting when you've already been a guitarist.

But that's a sweet bass, and you'll probably be enjoying it so much that you'll probably feel most at home with it anyway.
Old 08.18.11, 1:01 PM

Gustavo- I loves me some dub..dub..dub....dub.....dub......dub......
Being that multifaceted is probably really nice! Whenever you get bored/frustrated/uninspired with one, just switch to something else for a while. Production is sweet; I'd like to be better at it 'cause it's fun.

Concrete- Being a bass player at an open mic is kinda like being an attractive hooker; everybody wants to pick you up for just a couple quick numbers. That's how I met most of the people I play with these days. Everyone needs a bass player. And a drummer who can show up on time (impossible, i know!).

and there's no 'late' when it comes to this stuff. glad you're trying bass out and getting into it! you will always find work as a bassist.

jonny- it can definitely feel limiting, but it seems like you've got plenty of instruments to get into! But maybe i'm also just a little nuts, because I've always felt that by considering myself a 'bassist' I'll psychologically let my guitar playing suffer, as the motivation is on bass first. But I think i've more or less come to grips with that now; this bass looks and sounds sexy! plus i'm finding it's really comfortable to go high up on the neck with this. It might influence the way i play those higher frets. And really, I just have to not be a b*tch about devoting enough time to both instruments...
Old 08.18.11, 1:56 PM

ok; picture time. apologies; they are taken from my laptop, so not the bestest of quality. but it's real as real gets for me.

full shot

body shot

headstock
Old 08.19.11, 7:00 AM

asatbluesboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy_phil View Post
ok; picture time. apologies; they are taken from my laptop, so not the bestest of quality. but it's real as real gets for me.

full shot

body shot

headstock
Oohh... Yeah... Now rub your nipples...

Oh, wait. Wrong window...

Seriously, though. That's a sexy bass. As for what Concretebadger was saying, listen to the album version of I Should Have Known, by Foo Fighters. The part that Krist plays sounds *exactly* like Nirvana.

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_n_fresh
The thought of EMGs on a Jag makes me vomit a little.

Originally posted by paradeblonde
Beep beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP
Selling BOSS FW-3. I live in Brazil, mind you, so prepare yourself for $30-ish for shipping and waiting. Local pickup available, along with beautiful beaches and cheap bitches.

Last edited by asatbluesboy; 08.19.11 at 7:02 AM. Reason: Specifying which version of the song.
Old 08.19.11, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asatbluesboy View Post
Oohh... Yeah... Now rub your nipples...

Oh, wait. Wrong window...

Seriously, though. That's a sexy bass. As for what Concretebadger was saying, listen to the album version of I Should Have Known, by Foo Fighters. The part that Krist plays sounds *exactly* like Nirvana.

I've always dug Krist's tone and playing; will check that out. the latest Foo album freakin rocked, by the by
Old 08.22.11, 9:01 PM

MassacredHatred is on a distinguished road
Nice! I recently got a 4003 myself, though it's a newer model, and blue. I don't find it to be quite as versatile as something like a J-Bass, but it's got a unique character. And yeah, the sustain is pretty impressive. If you want that 4001 sound available to you, do what they do on the newer ones and add a push/pull pot that adds that capacitor to the circuit. I don't use it often, but it's a good option to have.
Old 08.24.11, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassacredHatred View Post
Nice! I recently got a 4003 myself, though it's a newer model, and blue. I don't find it to be quite as versatile as something like a J-Bass, but it's got a unique character. And yeah, the sustain is pretty impressive. If you want that 4001 sound available to you, do what they do on the newer ones and add a push/pull pot that adds that capacitor to the circuit. I don't use it often, but it's a good option to have.
Cool man, glad you're digging your bass too. I find it's not totally dissimilar from a J-bass sound (this coming from a guy who's only owned a P up until now), but I agree that it's definitely got a unique character.

I think that my bass might still have the old circuit actually; I was doing some reading before I got it, and it looks like they changed the circuit in late 85/early 86, so I suspect mine is the original. Really, I just need to take the pickguard off and look for the .0047mf capacitor. But it's funny, the treble tone knob on my bass is a little bit messed up, so I figured I was going to replace it anyways. When I do, I might just mod it myself; apparently it's easy enough to make the push/pull mod to the original circuit design.
Old 08.25.11, 11:33 PM

K_Awri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassacredHatred View Post
Nice! I recently got a 4003 myself, though it's a newer model, and blue.
FLCL? Got pink Hair to go with that? Maybe a Vespa?

Anywho, that's a Bass to love, for sure; I don't own one myself, but It keeps nagging to get one. Pretty much all the ones I've tried had that growl that just seems to pull you in, plus that wonderfully cut fretboard that's so -right-. It's an icon that deserves the status. Excellent show.
Old 08.26.11, 10:38 AM

Doctor J is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Awri View Post
FLCL? Got pink Hair to go with that? Maybe a Vespa?
I thought I was maybe the only one who instantly thought of that the first time I saw this thread title a few days ago. Haha!
Old 08.26.11, 11:31 AM

Concretebadger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
I thought I was maybe the only one who instantly thought of that the first time I saw this thread title a few days ago. Haha!
If I'd known I wasn't the only one on these boards who'd 'get' that reference, I would've asked if you'd installed an engine in it already.

Bass rig: Fender MIM Jazz Bass -> TU-2 -> OD-3 -> custom IC Muff -> Sansamp BDDI -> RV-3

"...So now you know the true secret to great tone: all the espresso you can handle."
Old 08.27.11, 10:29 AM

oh man, i think i totally missed a joke based on something in the thread title?
Old 08.27.11, 11:52 AM

Doctor J is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy_phil View Post
oh man, i think i totally missed a joke based on something in the thread title?
FLCL, Vespa, Ric bass, etc...