Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.06.08, 7:23 AM

easytarget is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting EMG's in Strat?

I have studied the emg diagrams and it appears that they can only be wired in series (or maybe I'm just stupid). I really only want one, obviously in the bridge. Is it possible to set up the circuit to only have the one active pup in the bridge and two passives, one being in the middle and one in the neck? Or do I need a full set. Please help.

Mesa .50 caliber head

Hughes and Kettner 4X12

Guitars:

Fender Mex sunburst with JB

Electra DX with humbuckers

Effects: Holy grail, metal zone, small clone

Old 05.06.08, 7:45 AM

If it makes any difference, I want to use the new circuitry that came in the EMG package rather than the wiring that's in my strat already

Mesa .50 caliber head

Hughes and Kettner 4X12

Guitars:

Old 05.06.08, 8:42 AM

nofearfactor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nofearfactor
Your pots for active pickups(25k) and your pots for passives(500-250k) are different;your plug-in is stereo;etcetc.But,I'm not a tech,just a player.All of my guitars have EMG actives and Ive never once wanted passives and actives in the same guitar,much less,I dont want to use passives period after switching to actives.But,I'm sure it can be done somehow.My rythym guitarist keeps talking about wanting to do it.My custom Strat we put a PSC set in it,but thats 2 active humbuckers.Go to their site and look under Strat replacement or pro series or custom... EMG ...
Old 05.06.08, 11:45 AM

CowboyFromHell is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CowboyFromHell
there is a way go on the emg site they have a little curcit or something to put in your guitar so you can wire up a passave an active so the out put with me equal call up a tech .
Ibanez AX120
40 yo yamaha acoustic
Pedals (in no order)
Jimi hendrix wah, TU-2, NS-2, BF-2, CE-2, older ibanez delay (green), MXR ZW-44 over drive, digitech bad monkey over drive, Danelectro DC-1 Cool Cat, BBE sonic maximizer 482 (older moddel)
Peavey XXX
5150 cab
Peavey Ultra
XXX cab
B-52 412 cab
Old 05.06.08, 2:43 PM

crazybiker is an unknown quantity at this point
I have heard that you really run into difficulties putting passive pickups with active ones. You end up having serious output issues. Not to mention the pots. EMG's require totally different pots than passives. I don't know how you would get around this, but I have heard the results are not great. It's probably better to go all passive or all active.
Boss TU-2>Jerry Cantrell Crybaby>MXR 10 Band EQ>MXR Super Compressor>Zvex Box of Rock>Zvex Mastotron>EHX Metal Muff>EHX Nano Small Stone>EHX Deluxe Memory Boy>EHX Freeze>BBE Sonic Stomp (EHX Flanger Hoax in the FX loop)
Old 05.06.08, 4:10 PM

undercut is an unknown quantity at this point
From the FAQ on EMG's site:
Quote:
Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.
Also, if each pickup has its own set of controls (like a Les Paul), you can mix them without this circuit. This probably wouldn't work in your case though.
Epiphone Valve Special
Old Peavey MS412
Old 05.06.08, 6:25 PM

I think I might end up buying the full set. I'm gonna miss my little jb jr. though. It's an interesting, dark little pickup. Most strat replacement pup's are usually extremely bright. The only other thing I'm milling over is this: will I be able to get a clean sound with emg's? I think emg's compounded with a mesa setup might never clean up. Let me know if that assumption is incorrect though.

Mesa .50 caliber head

Hughes and Kettner 4X12

Guitars:

Old 05.06.08, 7:13 PM

undercut is an unknown quantity at this point
You can clean up a Mesa with EMGs. EMGs are just like any other pickup, roll the volume back and you're there. If you like to play with your guitar volume maxed, then you'll have to reduce the gain on the amp's controls.
Epiphone Valve Special
Old Peavey MS412
Old 05.06.08, 9:15 PM

danielscha is an unknown quantity at this point
it works. i had it in my strat until i put a humbucker in it. my setup was, seymour duncan rails in the neck, stock middle, and emg sa in the bridge (not sure on the model name but it was a single coil). however, emg's being active, it was really hard when it ran out of batteries, cause my strat didnt have a battery compartment so i just taped it onto the body underneath the pickguard.
Old 05.07.08, 3:44 AM

nofearfactor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nofearfactor
Quote:
will I be able to get a clean sound with emg's
I play metal and I dont play anything more than the occasional clean intro,clean-heavy song, and rare totally clean song;but,I have no problems at all getting clean tones using EMGs in all of my guitars.And thats even using a Peavey 5150 which supposedly doesnt even have a clean channel, according to some.

Last edited by nofearfactor; 05.07.08 at 9:18 AM.
Old 05.07.08, 8:48 AM

CowboyFromHell is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CowboyFromHell
EMGs do clean it all depends on your amp buddy
Ibanez AX120
40 yo yamaha acoustic
Pedals (in no order)
Jimi hendrix wah, TU-2, NS-2, BF-2, CE-2, older ibanez delay (green), MXR ZW-44 over drive, digitech bad monkey over drive, Danelectro DC-1 Cool Cat, BBE sonic maximizer 482 (older moddel)
Peavey XXX
5150 cab
Peavey Ultra
XXX cab
B-52 412 cab
Old 05.07.08, 10:09 AM

gvmus is an unknown quantity at this point
I put a set of EMG-SA in a mexican strat. It was an easy install. Plug and play with 3 wires to solder. The tone of the individual pickups is much improved over the original PU's and there isn't any hum. The quack isn't as pronounced though. The tone doesn't change as you roll the volume down which is a great feature. In distortion mode I don't see any downside to the tone.
Old 05.07.08, 11:24 AM

yeah... the 5150 doesn't really have a clean channel. Thanks for your help everyone btw. I am still weighing out my options though

Mesa .50 caliber head

Hughes and Kettner 4X12

Guitars: