Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.07.08, 1:40 PM

KiwiGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement pickups for my semi-hollow: suggestions?

it's time to do something about my Schecter. I really like the semi-hollow sound, but it lacks treble clarity. I've considered that I might just need to replace the volume pots: they cut ALL the treble if you turn them below 9.

right now it has stock "duncan designed" pickups. I want higher-than-vintage output, but nothing too wild. I don't use a ton of gain. the first thing that came to my mind were gibson '57 classics, but I don't have much experience with them.

input and suggestions, please

(the guitar)

guitar > some pedals > amp head > cabinet.
throw some cords in there and you're good. *thumbs up*

my gear, updated 8/17/07

Old 11.08.08, 2:01 PM

VaBeachLoserKid is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm kinda biased on this but, switch the volume pots for 500k Push-Pull pots and then the pickups for a pair of SD 59's. SD even sells them as a calibrated pair now. That'll give you some extra bite that isn't super hot and will sound great with a semi-hollow.
Old 11.09.08, 3:01 AM

laa0815 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by VaBeachLoserKid
I'm kinda biased on this but, switch the volume pots for 500k Push-Pull pots and then the pickups for a pair of SD 59's. SD even sells them as a calibrated pair now. That'll give you some extra bite that isn't super hot and will sound great with a semi-hollow.
+1...

the thing with the pots is that you probably only need a treble bleed capacitor... small change, but if you go for quality (Allparts, Fender) 500k pots either for volume AND tone then you shouldn´t have that massive treble loss either. And - one thing an experienced luthier I know quite well always says: quality guitar - quality pickups - quality pots and capacitors... then everything works fine
Old 11.09.08, 5:47 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
I have a Bare Knuckle Mule and a Nordstrand bridge humbucker in my semi. Awesome tone!

I wanted to try 59's as a friend has some in his semi and it sounds so much better then mine ..........

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 11.09.08, 4:39 PM

sounds like the consensus is new pots and '59s... sweet! do they sell those as a pair with gold covers?
Quote:
Originally posted by berarduur
I have a Bare Knuckle Mule and a Nordstrand bridge humbucker in my semi. Awesome tone!
I know the name, but what are Bare Knuckles like?

my gear, updated 8/17/07
Old 11.09.08, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiGreen
sounds like the consensus is new pots and '59s... sweet! do they sell those as a pair with gold covers?
Yes!
Old 11.09.08, 9:31 PM

youknowwhat4q is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to youknowwhat4q
I say you just redo the whole electronic set up starting with some p-90s.
hogans head explodes
bow wow chicka bow wow chicka chicka chicka

gollywog: blond mullet EVERYWHERE!

youknowwhat4q: hogans familys heads explode

gollywog: moustaches everywhere!

youknowwhat4q: bow wow chicka bow wow chicka chicka chicka
morello flys back to his home planet
Onstage Rig
The Talman Project Phase 1
My Trade Thread
Old 11.09.08, 10:31 PM

buddhaguitarist is an unknown quantity at this point
duncan p-rails, push-pull tone pots wired thusly, push-pull treble-bleed-modded volumes for series/parallel and phase.

word.
Old 11.10.08, 2:50 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiGreen
I know the name, but what are Bare Knuckles like?
BK are awesome tonal pickups; I love mine in the neck position as it is just so warm and full......... it kicks great without losing some real tone. Tad dark but with enough bite to get through!

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 11.18.08, 7:56 PM

BATCH is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same guitar, a Schecter C-1 Semi hollow, with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.

The JB is fantastic for soaring rock lead tones, but it's pretty heavy in the midrange, with this guitar. I really like the way is sounds for metal, but probably not scooped enough for some people. As far as treble clarity, I feel I get better treble clarity when I take a bit of mids or go single coil mode on the neck pickup, kinda stratty sounding. Kinda.

Actually I find the guitar to be pretty midrangey overall, which I feel is a good thing. I have 2 push pull pots for separate coil splitting on either pickup, and with this combination, I have one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played. The bridge pickup split played clean is a great country tone. Roll the tone back a bit and you've got another really cool tone, pointy but not sharp. You basically have 8 different tones plus the piezo pickup (which I never use) and that equals a super versatile axe.

Well I guess if you want to hear mostly single notes on the neck pickup with a tubescreamer, in my sig there's a link to my myspace page and go to "Various guitar solos" This is all I have of it in action and it's all with a modded TS-10 usually with a hint of delay and a small clone on the first clip. These are just clips of the stuff I did in recitals in college a couple years ago recorded live. Mostly I solo with the neck pickup humbucking with OD, but the last clip is a clean solo on the neck pickup.

I would like to hear what the Seymour Duncan Jazz sounds like in the neck of this guitar.

I could record a small demo of the pickups into a J-Station amp modeler if you want to hear em clean, distorted, whatever. Whatever you do, I highly recommend getting coil splitters, although I bet they are a pain in the ass to install. Peace.

GUITAR Solos by Me

My Pedalboard
Old 11.19.08, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BATCH
I have the same guitar, a Schecter C-1 Semi hollow, with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.

The JB is fantastic for soaring rock lead tones, but it's pretty heavy in the midrange, with this guitar. I really like the way is sounds for metal, but probably not scooped enough for some people. As far as treble clarity, I feel I get better treble clarity when I take a bit of mids or go single coil mode on the neck pickup, kinda stratty sounding. Kinda.

Actually I find the guitar to be pretty midrangey overall, which I feel is a good thing. I have 2 push pull pots for separate coil splitting on either pickup, and with this combination, I have one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played. The bridge pickup split played clean is a great country tone. Roll the tone back a bit and you've got another really cool tone, pointy but not sharp. You basically have 8 different tones plus the piezo pickup (which I never use) and that equals a super versatile axe.

Well I guess if you want to hear mostly single notes on the neck pickup with a tubescreamer, in my sig there's a link to my myspace page and go to "Various guitar solos" This is all I have of it in action and it's all with a modded TS-10 usually with a hint of delay and a small clone on the first clip. These are just clips of the stuff I did in recitals in college a couple years ago recorded live. Mostly I solo with the neck pickup humbucking with OD, but the last clip is a clean solo on the neck pickup.

I would like to hear what the Seymour Duncan Jazz sounds like in the neck of this guitar.

I could record a small demo of the pickups into a J-Station amp modeler if you want to hear em clean, distorted, whatever. Whatever you do, I highly recommend getting coil splitters, although I bet they are a pain in the ass to install. Peace.
This is a good combination... I did like this combination in my solidbody Washburn, but I would think the JB is a tad too hot for a semi-acoustic...
Old 11.19.08, 8:28 AM

skins345669 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to skins345669
Quote:
Originally posted by berarduur
BK are awesome tonal pickups; I love mine in the neck position as it is just so warm and full......... it kicks great without losing some real tone. Tad dark but with enough bite to get through!
+1 on all of that
Ibanez S670FM (Evo and PAF Pro) / Squier Thinline tele (see avatar pic)(Bareknuckle Miracle Man pups + killswitch in place of neck tone) (CFBbEbGC) / "Skins" Strat (much like Tom Morello's 'Soul Power' but white) / Heavily modded acrylic Les Paul copy --> Peavey Supreme XL through Framus 212 CS CB

Effects: http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...671_395596.jpg
Old 11.19.08, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BATCH
I've got a JB in my strat. I know it would do much different things in a semi-hollow, but I still think it's a bit hot for what I'm thinking of. I agree that the Jazz would be fun in the neck, I bet that would sound real nice.

so, I'm 80% sold on the '59 pair here. those can get good and dirty, right? anyone care to make a demo?

my gear, updated 8/17/07