Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.24.05, 1:42 PM

vcartier is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Rickenbacker toaster pickups

The cost of a Rickenbacker is a tad out of my financial abilities at this time. As an alterntative, I am thinking of installing two, maybe three Rickenbacker toaster pickups on my low end Ibanez archtop to try to get that early British sound. Will think that will work?

Old 10.24.05, 2:25 PM

nyrkickazz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nyrkickazz1
Re: Rickenbacker toaster pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by vcartier
The cost of a Rickenbacker is a tad out of my financial abilities at this time. As an alterntative, I am thinking of installing two, maybe three Rickenbacker toaster pickups on my low end Ibanez archtop to try to get that early British sound. Will think that will work?
I'm not sure if it'd work. Rickenbacker mounts their pickups on top of the guitar, while basically every other guitar has the pickups mounted in the guitar. But, by all means, experiment away. The cheapest place for them is http://www.music123.com .
Rickenbacker 4003/4001 conversion project.
Old 10.24.05, 3:24 PM

ScutFarkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Guitar Fetish has the Liverpool Vintage pickup which sounds kind of in between a Ric toaster and a Gretsch pickup. I have one in a 335 style guitar and I love it. It has a really great early Beatles sound. I would definitely say to go for that. Here's a link: http://store.guitarfetish.com/livialhuch.html
Guitar: '62 RI Jazzmaster or 1968 Harmony H-72 or SX SST62 Short Scale w/ GFS Pro Tube Lipstick PUP or Ibanez Jet King w/ GFS Vintage Split and Brooklyn PUPS or Douglas SH-90 w/ GFS Liverpool and Dream 90 PUPs or Squier Affinity Strat -> BYOC Tonebender -> Super Chile Picoso -> Ernie Ball VP Jr. -> TU-2 -> French Toast -> DD-3 -> Mini Q-Tron -> Intelliphase -> Phase 90 - > SD-1 (w/ Chocolate mod by IndyGuitarist) -> ReezaFRATzitz -> USA Big Muff Pi -> Vox V848 -> OC-3 -> Small Clone -> Philtre -> Tap Tremolo -> 1965 Silvertone 1457 (I'm in a tiny dorm now)
Old 10.24.05, 4:22 PM

billygoatmersh is an unknown quantity at this point
I was considering doing the exact same thing with my artcore, how would one go about inserting the pickups since they usually mount in the guitar?
Old 10.24.05, 4:34 PM

vcartier is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the suggestions. I took a glance at the Liverpool pickups, they sounded good and may be the best of the Beatles worlds of between the Ric and Gretsch. They are also at a good price point. Still, the toasters are sweet....
Hot Rod Deluxe