Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.30.08, 3:53 PM

robomantik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to robomantik
string ball stuck in the body/bridge of my tele

i had no clue how to say that in the title. so on the back of tele's, there's a little ring where the string goes through the body and one of mine fell out before i restrung my guitar last time and i had to hurry and restring it because i had a show to play. i found the ring, but left it at home and i'm at college. anyways, i'm restring my guitar now because i have a show saturday and tomorrow and friday i'll be doing 13 hours of driving. that string won't come out because the ball is all the way up the body and caught by the bridge. how in the heck do i get this out?!

Old 01.30.08, 4:24 PM

New001 is an unknown quantity at this point
find a toothpick or something and shove it through the top of the hole. at least thats what id think first if it were me
Old 01.30.08, 6:27 PM

oh yeah, i did. i think a toothpick would break. i used a sewing needle that was 2"s long. it didn't work because there's about half an inch of thicker string and then the ball.
Old 01.30.08, 8:22 PM

SunNovaGun is an unknown quantity at this point
A small screwdriver or pin punch should do the trick. You could also straighten out a coat hanger, just use something sturdy that's a bit smaller than the hole.
Old 01.30.08, 8:26 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Just use cut end of a heavy wound E string and push it through from the top side.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 01.30.08, 9:30 PM

Vague is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by olddawg
Just use cut end of a heavy wound E string and push it through from the top side.
That's kind of funny. I've done this a couple times to get stubborn strings out, but I always thought I was being original.

My rig - Updated 3/18/09

For sale/trade

The club
Old 01.30.08, 9:30 PM

the e string didn't work. just wouldn't push it through and it bent. the straightened clothes hanger was good, but it was too fat to go in the whole.
Old 01.30.08, 10:22 PM

New001 is an unknown quantity at this point
how about a safety pin?

though that may not work since the sewing needle didnt...

try unfolding a paper clip and use that, itd be much longer anyway
Old 01.30.08, 10:26 PM

BATCH is an unknown quantity at this point
bass string?

GUITAR Solos by Me

My Pedalboard
Old 01.30.08, 10:28 PM

i don't have a bass string. nor do i think it'd fit in the hole.
Old 01.30.08, 10:42 PM

BATCH is an unknown quantity at this point
well.. this happened to me the other day, with a Samick strat. I stuck a high e string (.10) through the back and looped it back through, trying to get on either side of the ball, and pull them out together. Am I making any sense? I don't know if the string will go through though. Will a .10 string go through the hole from the back to front?

GUITAR Solos by Me

My Pedalboard
Old 01.30.08, 10:50 PM

NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
OK,

There are some holes that aren't currently string enhanced. Find out what will fit into one of these. A paperclip is probably an OK idea, but what you want is something as big as possible and as rigid as possible because what you are going to do is put it into the hole from the face side of the guitar and GENTLY tap it with a hammer or similar (an SM58 will do the job if you can't find anything else).

A handy sort of item that more or less meets the requirements and comes in carefully graded sizes are drill bits. You want to put the blunt end in the hole and tap the sharp one. The lower quality of the drill bit the better and wear eye protection because the down side is they are hardened (possibly)high carbon steel and may/will shatter.

NOTE: Cover the whole of the face of the guitar with a cloth or blanket before you start!

A pin punch is actually the proper tool for the job but if you don't have one (the right size) you'll just have to make do.
Old 01.31.08, 11:27 AM

ShizamDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
The last time that happened to me, I used one of those thin screwdrivers to push out the ball end. They usually come in sets, both phillips and flat head, go from small to really really small. Beyond that, I think a low E string should work, just use some force and keep whacking away until it dislodges.

http://www.myspace.com/thestevenproject
Please add me as a friend, I am lonely
Old 01.31.08, 11:47 AM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by robomantik
the e string didn't work. just wouldn't push it through and it bent. the straightened clothes hanger was good, but it was too fat to go in the whole.
There are lots of solid wire guages other than a clothes hanger. A trip to a hardware store might be helpful. Bailing wire might work. Look in the kitchen. The pins they use for holding meat together might work. Be creative. If the low E string didn't work you must really have it jammed in there. A hobby store would also would have small diameter brass rods. Whatever works. Maybe some one you know has a hat pin. You also might want to slightly warm it up with a blow dryer before you try to dislodge it. Here's another option. I actually have a guitar tool kit that I got as a gift that has a tool for this in it. It is just a 6" length of stiff steel wire with a loop on one end. These kits are inexpensive and also have a small flashlight, a pair of dikes, some allen wrenches, a couple of screw drivers, an extra battery, and a place to put string sets and picks. It all zips up in a neat little canvas case.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 01.31.08, 12:14 PM

mikey383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikey383 Send a message via Yahoo to mikey383
If you can't get it out by any other means, just smash the guitar....it will come out then

BATCH has a pretty good idea. If you take a high E string and kinda bend a hook on the end of it, you might be able to push it through the ball, and loop it back out. Kinda like threading a needle. It'll be a little tricky, but it just might work.

2007 Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa Recto 4x12
Carvin UH5000 wireless system
Digitech Valve FX processor
Behringer FCB1010

Mikey's Rig

Proud member of the MESA family