Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Guitars

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.07.10, 5:37 PM

cerebro911 is on a distinguished road
What hot rails for middle position?

I'm lookin at putting some Duncan hot Rails in my Fat Strat, but do I order two necks, one for the basss and one for the middle, or do I order a bridge version for the middle?
Talking about wireless pedals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham Clowder View Post
It would be so we could run from one side of the stage to the other, switch from rhythm to lead, run over to the guy on the hammonds to turn on the flanger, and then sneak up behind the drummer and start going nuts on the wah.

Only to realize those pedals were hooked up to the bass!

Old 12.07.10, 7:05 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
I'm lookin at putting some Duncan hot Rails in my Fat Strat, but do I order two necks, one for the basss and one for the middle, or do I order a bridge version for the middle?
I would call Duncan or a good distributer and ask what they recommend. Hot rails are stacked humbuckers. So... what you will have is a 3 humbucker guitar like a 3 pickup LP Custum or SG Custom. Wiring the standard 5 position Strat switch can be problematic, especially if you plan to do coil tapping or phase splitting. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to use an old type 3 position Strat switch and wire it like an LP. Then you would probably order a middle and a neck pickup out of a standard 3 pickup Strat set. But it's all subjective.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 12.08.10, 12:51 AM

I already have a strat with triple humbucker sized single coils in it, so I'm not worried about that set-up nor are doing anything unorthodox with the wiring. The guy who does guitars up here is very capable, so thats not a concern. I was wondering if the neck or bridge pickup is wound properly for the middle, but your reply seems to suggest the middle has its own unique touches.
Quote:
It would be so we could run from one side of the stage to the other, switch from rhythm to lead, run over to the guy on the hammonds to turn on the flanger, and then sneak up behind the drummer and start going nuts on the wah.

Old 12.08.10, 1:59 AM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebro911 View Post
I already have a strat with triple humbucker sized single coils in it, so I'm not worried about that set-up nor are doing anything unorthodox with the wiring. The guy who does guitars up here is very capable, so thats not a concern. I was wondering if the neck or bridge pickup is wound properly for the middle, but your reply seems to suggest the middle has its own unique touches.
Really, the only difference in pickups for different positions is how hot they are. The hotter the pickup, the more high end roll off along with more output. You can compensate for balanced output with pickup height adjustment. In a set your neck pickup is usually not as hot as your bridge leaving the middle pickup something in the middle because the string vibrates with more energy at the neck position. I have no idea how Hot Rails will balance out with a full sized HB in the bridge position. Personally, I don't worry about stuff like that much. If I like the sound of a pickup I use it and use the volume control on the guitar, but truthfully I use matched sets mostly. Some people are really finicky about such things.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 12.08.10, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
Really, the only difference in pickups for different positions is how hot they are. The hotter the pickup, the more high end roll off along with more output. You can compensate for balanced output with pickup height adjustment. In a set your neck pickup is usually not as hot as your bridge leaving the middle pickup something in the middle because the string vibrates with more energy at the neck position. I have no idea how Hot Rails will balance out with a full sized HB in the bridge position. Personally, I don't worry about stuff like that much. If I like the sound of a pickup I use it and use the volume control on the guitar, but truthfully I use matched sets mostly. Some people are really finicky about such things.
Awesome, that helps alot. I'll use two neck pickups then so the bridge humbucker will have a more dominant volume for leads.
Quote: