Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.05.10, 12:52 PM

rak1v07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Audacity - tracks out of sync

Been recording with Audacity: I record guitar first, fine. Then record vox, harmonica or second guitar on track 2, singing in time with the playback in the headphones.

BUT when I finish recording and play it back, the second track is ever so slightly out of sync with the first, just behind it. Does this sound familiar? Is there some ridiculously simple solution to this? (N.B. I am definitely playing in time when I'm recording subsequent tracks!)

Cheers.

Harley Benton resonator
Old Dulcetta banjo

Old 11.05.10, 1:41 PM

skins345669 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to skins345669
Yeah, but you can quite easily just shift the track back so it fits, as long as your timing is consistent.
Ibanez S670FM (Evo and PAF Pro) / Squier Thinline tele (see avatar pic)(Bareknuckle Miracle Man pups + killswitch in place of neck tone) (CFBbEbGC) / "Skins" Strat (much like Tom Morello's 'Soul Power' but white) / Heavily modded acrylic Les Paul copy --> Peavey Supreme XL through Framus 212 CS CB

Effects: http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...671_395596.jpg
Old 11.05.10, 4:55 PM

messy bedroom is on a distinguished road
It could be a few things causing it. Now I'm not familiar with using Audacity, but the same things go for most DAW's.

1. if you are using plug ins or digital effects on your tracks it could be latency due to resources on different tracks. This can be fixed either by applying the effect and writing it to the track. That way extra resources aren't bogging things down. If you do this I would make sure to make a copy of the raw track with out the effect that way in case you change your mind later you can sub in the older original take with out effects. Or there is even the option of a delay compensation plug in that automatically corrects the delay on all tracks to be in sync.

2. It could be that your computer doesn't have enough resources to do several tracks simultaneously. Similar to up above. This could be solved with a simple RAM upgrade.

3. Or it could be your sound card just doesn't have enough resources to process multiple audio streams at the same time.

Good exchange with Cham Clowder.
Old 11.11.10, 3:46 PM

mmasonmusic is on a distinguished road
I've had this problem before. I once bought an external sound card that wasn't designed for recording. I thought it would be perfect. It was USB, it has 2 RCA ins and outs, and I used it with a little mixer. It's audio quality was really good, but I never ended up being able to use it to multi-track because there was a significant latency difference between the input and output. It didn't even have the option to adjust the latency, and none of the software I used had an adjustment for the latency.

So what soundcard are you using?
Old 11.12.10, 7:09 AM

rak1v07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah ok, resolved VERY simply by just using the time-shift cursor tool in Audacity. I'm using the Behringer UCA222 external soundcard, which is designed specifically for recording and this their most up-to-date one.
I might need more RAM but the time-shift tool works absolutely fine as a solution, cheers!

Harley Benton resonator
Old Dulcetta banjo