Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Reply

Share/Bookmark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.22.07, 7:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
Crackling during recording? = soundcard?

I'm running my mic into a mixer plugged into my soundcard. I have a problem with crackling occuring about 30 seconds into recording. Could this be a sound card issue?
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 06.22.07, 9:21 AM
chriscrob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 810
chriscrob is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be that. It could be that you have it turned up too loud. Make sure that your sound is peaking at -18dbfs in whatever software youre using on your computer. Digital gear does NOT sound good when you push it too much.

If you dont believe me believe these guys...
http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/...3761139e008642
__________________
I like StylinStan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.22.07, 11:33 AM
Moo's Avatar
Moo Moo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,655
Moo is an unknown quantity at this point
What's your setup? Gear? What program are you running?
__________________
Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.24.07, 12:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, what I got told was turn the mic volume to nearly off, on my pc. And then compensate from that using the mixer.

As for set up, i'm running a Behringer Xenyx 802 into a stock Dell Sound card. I'm using a shure sm58 as my mic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.24.07, 6:17 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Sometimes this is caused by the power management software. Try disabling it.
__________________
My Gear , please wack with the side of your hand for normal service.
Bringing you EVIL VOODOO WAX MAGIC since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.25.07, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
How would I go about that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.25.07, 6:16 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Control Panel:Performance and Maintenance:Power Options.

It may be that Dell have a powermanagement applet also.

My Acer Notebook did.
__________________
My Gear , please wack with the side of your hand for normal service.
Bringing you EVIL VOODOO WAX MAGIC since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.26.07, 5:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
How do I go about turning it off? What settings do I change?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.26.07, 6:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,205
guitarose is an unknown quantity at this point
I would guess it has something to do with the fact that you're not using an audio interface...
__________________
Ibanez SA160QM (w/ Lindy Fralin's)
Boss TU-2 > Boss DS-2 > EHX Big Muff Pi > Arion SAD-1 > Boss PH3 >Boss RV-3 >Visual sound Jekyll & Hyde> Akai Headrush > tech 21 triac> "borrowed" Roland JC-50

For Sale/trade, PM for info:
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Guitarose has had one for sale in his sig since i joined this ****ing site. Somebody just buy it!
...
Epiphone Alleykat (w/hard case)
DOD fx25B Diago gigman pedalboard (virtually as new) Boss OC-2 MXR Dynacomp
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.26.07, 7:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Like an external soundcard? WOuld you be able to suggest some? Fairly priced please.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.26.07, 7:47 AM
bings's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 950
bings is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarose
I would guess it has something to do with the fact that you're not using an audio interface...
Yes, that is what I was going to suggest as well. The components on the inside of your computer may be causing interference.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be a very good person to recommend an audio interface.
__________________
Strat w/ Tex-Mex pups / Agile P-90 LP / Tele w/ Lace Sensors --> various effects--> Fender Blues Deluxe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06.26.07, 6:13 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by lordoflax
How do I go about turning it off? What settings do I change?
Anything that operates on a timer, especially those that relate to after x time no input do such and such.

Experiment with turning EVERYTHING off and see if that eliminates the problem.

A reasonable cheap external interface is only a Google search away. Although I had a similar problem while using one, which is how I know about the fix I have been suggesting.
__________________
My Gear , please wack with the side of your hand for normal service.
Bringing you EVIL VOODOO WAX MAGIC since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06.26.07, 6:36 PM
chriscrob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 810
chriscrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes, that is what I was going to suggest as well. The components on the inside of your computer may be causing interference.
If you have some software causing problems you are probably not going to fix the problem with an interface.
With that said it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out an audio interface. These devices will connect via USB, Firewire, or PCI and give a much higher quality signal than you can get through your stock sound card.


As far as connections go it depends on what you've got available:
USB 1.0, 1.1---stick with your stock sound card. Its not fast enough.
USB 2.0---its the cheapest technology but is inferior speed wise. you'll only be able to record 1 track at a time well via usb. maybe 2.
Firewire---Faster than USB, but more pricey. This is about the best you can do with a laptop.
PCI---Arguably better than firewire. It must be installed in a desktop computer so its not very portable or easy to switch between computers. If you have a desktop you will probably get the most for your money with PCI.
All that in a longer article+some reccomendations.


Reviews of specific interfaces:
USB 2.0
Firewire
PCI
__________________
I like StylinStan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06.27.07, 7:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 12
lordoflax is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NoFroBro
Anything that operates on a timer, especially those that relate to after x time no input do such and such.

Experiment with turning EVERYTHING off and see if that eliminates the problem.

A reasonable cheap external interface is only a Google search away. Although I had a similar problem while using one, which is how I know about the fix I have been suggesting.
These are the options I get.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8159/tudts3.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06.27.07, 5:19 PM
NoFroBro's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,032
NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Try setting them all to never and see if the problem goes away.

My problem seemed to be the hard drive shutdown timer.

Quote:
Originally posted by chriscrob
If you have some software causing problems you are probably not going to fix the problem with an interface.
With that said it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out an audio interface. These devices will connect via USB, Firewire, or PCI and give a much higher quality signal than you can get through your stock sound card.


As far as connections go it depends on what you've got available:
USB 1.0, 1.1---stick with your stock sound card. Its not fast enough.
USB 2.0---its the cheapest technology but is inferior speed wise. you'll only be able to record 1 track at a time well via usb. maybe 2.
Firewire---Faster than USB, but more pricey. This is about the best you can do with a laptop.
PCI---Arguably better than firewire. It must be installed in a desktop computer so its not very portable or easy to switch between computers. If you have a desktop you will probably get the most for your money with PCI.
All that in a longer article+some reccomendations.


Reviews of specific interfaces:
USB 2.0
Firewire
PCI
O.K. I read through alot of that stuff but couldn't find any support for the 2 track limit. Now maybe I'm a freak, but with the Steinberg MI4 I have been using USB to record 4 tracks simultaneously with great quality and nil problems. I know Firewire and PCI are superior but when portablility is a major factor a bog standard laptop with USB seems to get the job done with up to 4 channels. I'd love to take my full tower system on the road, but occassionally sanity prevails.
__________________
My Gear , please wack with the side of your hand for normal service.
Bringing you EVIL VOODOO WAX MAGIC since 2009

Last edited by NoFroBro; 06.27.07 at 5:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 | Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO
©1993 - 2014 GuitarGeek | All Rights Reserved