Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Reply

Share/Bookmark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.16.08, 6:40 PM
Fuzzhead's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 2,501
Fuzzhead is on a distinguished road
Is this gonna do what I'm hoping it will? (Mixing Board question)

My friend and I are interested in starting up a little home studio (we're both applying to the same college to be audio recording majors), and we don't have a *ton* of cash, being college kids.

I was looking around and I found this dude ... and I was wondering if I'm understanding it right. So basically, it can record all 8 channels on the mixer (and a stereo master, apparently), go through USB and spit out those 8 mono tracks into the included Cubase software? Because we're sort of interested in recording several tracks at once, and this seems like a good, cheap place to do it.

Also--this may be a long shot--but can the mixing board also act as an external interface to mix the tracks in Cubase after already being recorded? I mean, I know you can just mix on the computer, but it would be cool to use the controls on the board to edit our projects.



EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION:

I was thinking of getting this as a starter condenser microphone--my interest was caught by the multi-pattern switch on it. I don't suppose anyone's tried one or has something to say about the idea of a $200-range MXL in general?


Thanks in advance.
__________________
USA G&L ASAT -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Bandcamp page: "Foundation" EP available now!
Ye olde Myspace

"Punk is whatever we make it to be." - D. Boon
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 10.16.08, 7:13 PM
iaresee's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 3,861
iaresee is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this gonna do what I'm hoping it will? (Mixing Board question)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzhead
I was looking around and I found this dude ... and I was wondering if I'm understanding it right. So basically, it can record all 8 channels on the mixer (and a stereo master, apparently), go through USB and spit out those 8 mono tracks into the included Cubase software? Because we're sort of interested in recording several tracks at once, and this seems like a good, cheap place to do it.
I haven't used this but, yes, that is what the docs say: all 8 channels on board (4 mono mic channels plus two stereo line in channels) are streamed separately to your DAW software plus the stereo mix L/R channels.

Quote:
Also--this may be a long shot--but can the mixing board also act as an external interface to mix the tracks in Cubase after already being recorded? I mean, I know you can just mix on the computer, but it would be cool to use the controls on the board to edit our projects.
No. You cannot control DAW functions with the controls on the board. For that you need to look into something considerably more expensive. Either one of the DigiDesign products or something from M-Audio or Tascam.

You can, however, monitor the audio from your computer via the USB interface on the board...at least...I think you can. So you can do overdubs. If you can't this thing is tantamount to useless, keep looking for something else.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting this as a starter condenser microphone--my interest was caught by the multi-pattern switch on it. I don't suppose anyone's tried one or has something to say about the idea of a $200-range MXL in general?
No opinion on that mic. Never used it. Switchable patterns are nice but I find the room matters most, especially for quiet instruments like vocals or acoustics. YMMV.
__________________
- IAN C. -
Rig: PRS | Schecter USA | Gibson | Axe-Fx II | empress effects
Beta tester: Fractal Audio | empress effects
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.17.08, 9:09 PM
Fuzzhead's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 2,501
Fuzzhead is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I figured that you couldn't use the board controls for mixing on the computer. But oh well, I know my way around a recording program or two. All things considered, this should be a better start for me and my friend as opposed to the $10k setup he's been drooling over. Assuming it does overdubs. I'll need to try one/ask my local music store.

That's what I needed to know, thanks a bunch.
__________________
USA G&L ASAT -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Bandcamp page: "Foundation" EP available now!
Ye olde Myspace

"Punk is whatever we make it to be." - D. Boon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10.30.08, 4:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,205
guitarose is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude...check this out. I think it's what you're after. I'd get this if i didn't already have a decent focusrite interface that I'm happy with...

http://www.roland.com/products/en/M-16DX/index.html
__________________
Ibanez SA160QM (w/ Lindy Fralin's)
Boss TU-2 > Boss DS-2 > EHX Big Muff Pi > Arion SAD-1 > Boss PH3 >Boss RV-3 >Visual sound Jekyll & Hyde> Akai Headrush > tech 21 triac> "borrowed" Roland JC-50

For Sale/trade, PM for info:
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Guitarose has had one for sale in his sig since i joined this ****ing site. Somebody just buy it!
...
Epiphone Alleykat (w/hard case)
DOD fx25B Diago gigman pedalboard (virtually as new) Boss OC-2 MXR Dynacomp
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 | Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO
©1993 - 2014 GuitarGeek | All Rights Reserved