Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07.22.09, 1:11 AM

SlinkyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
New Shoegaze Recordings

Its been a long time since I posted here looks like the site is running/looking way nicer than before. I'm an amateur (perhaps budding is a better word) recording engineer, my friend and I started recording music on my Mac with Tools LE. Neither of us own amps anymore so we plug DI into an Mbox and try to wrangle the sound digitally (we love shoegaze/psychedelic music).

Not long ago I had a trial version of IK Classiks Studio Reverb which had Inverse reverb and was pretty nice but I was wondering had anybody found other plugin reverbs w/inverse? Also does anybody who makes shoegaze/drone/experimental music on computers (DI/Synths/VST's) have any favorite virtual instruments or plugins which they swear by? I have no idea what to choose from the vast plugin world of drum-machines, delays, eq's, synths, etc. The sounds we are trying to achieve are much like Boris, My Bloody Valentine, Medicine, The Psychic Paramount, Aphex Twin... here are a few very recently recorded songs- http://www.myspace.com/mellowhollowlove

Old 07.22.09, 2:25 AM

Hides-His-Eyes is on a distinguished road
Well i seriously like what you've done so far even if i'm no help!
Old 07.22.09, 2:49 AM

Thank you. I wonder how many guitargeeks enjoy a bit of shoegaze these days. I seem to remember a while back there were quite a few fans.
Old 07.22.09, 3:03 AM

earlyreflections is on a distinguished road
Welcome back Slinky! Your a fellow Australian also!! I'm from South Australia and quite a shoegazing fan indeed!

Well done with your recordings I enjoy what I'm hearing so far you've got a nice feel going on! I record on a similar format, I also have a Mac with a mbox2 using protools but my band uses mics to record all the instruments, but I have tried the DI before also and tweaked the sounds in protools! Unfortunately I can't help ya with plug-ins as we all use our own effects pedals But from what I hear your doing a good job already!
Old 07.22.09, 11:52 AM

knives490 is an unknown quantity at this point
I enjoyed it man! You've got a friend request awaiting you. and I know about 95% of GG are still Shoegazers today.

I <3 Michel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntumbers View Post
you gotz da mad skillz dawg.

you mod the titties off pedals, and you just got hair on your balls, what, 2 months ago?

I'm pushing 30 and all I can do with a soldering iron is burn myself.
Old 07.22.09, 12:28 PM

Rents is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, check out the 'secret garden: nu-gaze vol.1'

hard to find but i think u'll like it

http://alijamieson.co.uk
Old 07.22.09, 7:13 PM

Thanks for the compliments. Rents; I found Secret Garden on the net... acquiring now .

A while ago I found a video of a guitarist running his guitar DI into Logic or similar then using it as a MIDI trigger for Absynth. Each string could potentially trigger a different synth, though I since can't find the video. Anybody have any idea how something like that might be done?

P.S- Rents, j-treole is absolutely excellent. What do you play?
Old 07.22.09, 8:57 PM

messy bedroom is on a distinguished road
I'm a fan of the IK multimedia amp plug ins. the fender pack and the ampeg pack are amazing. i may never buy a bass amp now because i love the sound of the plug ins. i also like the moog delay.

Good exchange with Cham Clowder.
Old 07.22.09, 9:49 PM

DAVIDCOUPE is on a distinguished road
the slow motion song is so ****ing cool
Old 07.23.09, 1:30 AM

Hides-His-Eyes is on a distinguished road
so can people recommend me some album's like the music in the threadstarter's myspace?
Old 07.23.09, 2:43 AM

I put a few new songs up.
A few albums which include our main influences;

Medicine- Shot Forth Of Self Living
Flying Saucer Attack- Further
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless/Isn't Anything
My Violent Ego- Clicks & Hisses
The Brian Jonestown Massacre- Methadrone-
Fleeting Joys- Occult Radiance
Boris- Smile
The Psychic Paramount- Gamelan Into The Mink Supernatural

I find lots of popular 'shoegaze' groups to be less interesting because of either lack of experimentation or not enough drone. Actually if you enjoy black metal my favorite modern shoegaze band is a black metal band called Velvet Cacoon. Check out their album 'P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33'.
Old 07.23.09, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyMan View Post
Thanks for the compliments. Rents; I found Secret Garden on the net... acquiring now .

A while ago I found a video of a guitarist running his guitar DI into Logic or similar then using it as a MIDI trigger for Absynth. Each string could potentially trigger a different synth, though I since can't find the video. Anybody have any idea how something like that might be done?

P.S- Rents, j-treole is absolutely excellent. What do you play?
re the midi thing - amidi pick up could either directly trigger absynth OR a cv to midi converter

re j-treole : yes i am keyboard player [and guitar and production on the recordings] next ep is out aug28th, it's 100times better than the last one [the one up on myspace] check the youtube vid for a more acurate represntation

:-) thanks

Old 07.25.09, 6:39 AM

Nobody has any tips for recording shoegaze vocals? I understand the basic concepts of how to achieve the harmonised androgynous breathy vocal sound but can never pull it off in a mix which is what counts I guess. I've learnt what I know so far of Pro Tools from the internet and something tells me I should probably just go to audio engineering school or this program will do my head in.
Old 07.25.09, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyMan View Post
Nobody has any tips for recording shoegaze vocals? I understand the basic concepts of how to achieve the harmonised androgynous breathy vocal sound but can never pull it off in a mix which is what counts I guess. I've learnt what I know so far of Pro Tools from the internet and something tells me I should probably just go to audio engineering school or this program will do my head in.
i don't think there's anything different about recording them -

just get a nice, intimate vocal take and process with many auxs [delays long and short, evrbs long and short, takes through walkie talkie, tape saturation, modualtion, reversed gated verbs what ever]???

Old 08.21.09, 3:11 AM

ghostly is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Can't get access to myspace at work - will check out your songs later!

Plugins
For shoegaze, you need a good drone - NI Absynth is phenomenal for generating evolving soundscapes. To dirty it up you need some effects, I use Guitar Rig 3 (also NI) on everything, synths / guitars and sometimes vocals. Both Absynth and Guitar Rig are not cheap mind you... GR3 has a good reverse delay effect too. And the Space Echo sounds great. Basically, try and get your hands on as many different delays as you can get your hands on - there are plenty of free ones if you hunt around.

Vocals
To get the vocals to sit in the mix I would suggest that you tone down the reverb on the instrumentation then send both the instruments and the vocals to the same reverb so they sit in the same space. It's ok to use more than 1 reverb on a sound though so experiment with also sending the vocals to another reverb with a different character. Also, EQ is your friend, make sure that the vocals sit in their own frequency space. You could also try and compress the instrumentation with a sidechain trigger from the vocals - you want the impact to be subtle tho or it will sound crap.

The above is not an exhaustive set of ideas, just what came into my head!

Cheers,
g