Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.11.07, 7:36 PM

Shihad82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recording drums

I hope I can get some input here, despite the obvious fact that no one here is really a drummer.

I'm looking at recording a drum kit with the absolute best sound for value. I'm thinking about buying 4 or 5 SM57s and a bass drum mic and recording a kit like that.

I'm looking for some opinions as well as some advice.

Also, has anyone had any experience with drum triggers? I was thinking about recording each part of the kit individually and then using drum triggers to record the whole kit and inserting the pre-recorded sound overtop so I dont have to do any gating or compressing to reduce spill and enhance clarity.

Old 06.12.07, 11:23 AM

RobPG is an unknown quantity at this point
I would go for 2 condenser mics for over heads (the whole kit, cymbals etc). These work good for this as they have a good high frequency responce and would work much better than the dynamic sm57's for this purpose, sm 57s would be fine for the snare and possibly the toms, my fave tom mic is the senhiser md421. then a kick mic and your good too go.

any other questions please ask, as I am typing this answer out in a rush!
Ever Changing Noise Machine: Squire Super Sonic - Westone Thunder IIA ---> Korg DT-10 ---> EHX Nano Small Stone ---> Modded Proco Rat ---> Zoom PD-01 Power Driver ---> Pearl AD-08 Analogue Delay in TB loop ---> Vox AD50VT

All powered by a Diago and all on a diago gig man board

Bass - Fender American P-bass in black in maple board ---> Roland BD-700
Old 06.12.07, 11:53 AM

philthyphingers is an unknown quantity at this point
see below
Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down.
Trust me.

Last edited by philthyphingers; 06.12.07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06.12.07, 12:05 PM

philthyphingers is an unknown quantity at this point

57's are always the way-to-go when recording drums on the budget.

A kick mic is always a good thing if it's within your budget. I've found that CAD's are surprisingly good mic’s for recording drums in a budget studio. Oh, and the same CAD's are also good guitar mic’s as well! i.e., heavily distorted guitars.

There are some experimental miking techniques you can use to help create a HUGE sound as opposed to purchasing killer gear that you don’t have the green for.

For a good John Bonham effect: your drummer play as if he’s jamming with the band as you walk around the entire room *listening* for the room’s “sweet spots�, place a mic in that spot, then go on to another part of the room, (keeping the stereo field in mind) stick a mic there, record it, and listen back.

If you don’t like the effect, you can simply scratch it--- no loss and experience gained.

There are so many ways to get a good drum sound on a budget that so many people tend to overlook the basics of (I was one of them) simply because we’ve been so misconstrued by gear-heads talking about their plates and gates etc; it’s very annoying how many times I’ve heard that I couldn’t get a “decent drum sound� because of that-n-this or this-n-that... It always feels good to prove them wrong!

Trust me; you can get a killer drum sound with just a decent set of mic’s, a compressor/gate and a decent mixing board/PA and a good recording source. It all starts with a good-sounding room (I've recorded in someone's parent's dining room with incredible results) and whether the drummer can tune his kit or not. If he can’t--- fire him and get someone who can!

Try to avoid using the EQ to make something sound better than it can on its own. Try to only use it as an effect as opposed to a Band Aid unless youo absolutely have to. Remember... you can't polish a turd!

Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down.
Trust me.
Old 06.12.07, 6:06 PM

Moo is an unknown quantity at this point
STG I'm going to blow up all the SM57s in the world. SM57 for overheads? You might as well point your **** at it and hope for a good sound. At least you don't want to use it on the kick.

Either do 2 overheads (small diaphragm condensers if you can afford them), 1 snare and one kick and nuts to the toms,
or 1 overhead (LDC or SDC), 1 snare, 1 kick and 1 dynamic mic in between the toms.

Don't worry so much about having so many mics. 4 decent mics in the right spot sound better than 8 cheap ones.

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR
Old 06.12.07, 7:53 PM

Shihad82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by philthyphingers
whether the drummer can tune his kit or not. If he can’t--- fire him and get someone who can!
The drummer is my girlfriend... so I don't think any firing will be happening.

Besides she's more talented than 95% of the male drummers in my area who aren't already in signed bands. better than about 50% of the ones who are.
Old 06.12.07, 9:18 PM

heavymetalme is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to heavymetalme
This is an off topic recommendation, but build a sub kick. I had a friend record my group the other day, and he put a sub kick in front of the bass drum, and the recording is killer. He said Yamaha makes one, but it seems like you can build one fairly cheap.
Old 06.13.07, 4:58 AM

RobPG is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah! get a disused yamaha NS-10 cone and hang it in front (or place it on) the kicks head! Wire it up to an XLR and you should be good to go, or so I hear! Works good for bass also.

If you can't find an NS-10, studio spares (UK) make a slightly bigger one (8" as opposed to 6.5") based on the NS-10's sub cone for cheap.

That yamaha sub kick looks the nuts though, in fact I think its based on the NS-10 cone idea any way!

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumprod...1&CTID=5040593
Ever Changing Noise Machine: Squire Super Sonic - Westone Thunder IIA ---> Korg DT-10 ---> EHX Nano Small Stone ---> Modded Proco Rat ---> Zoom PD-01 Power Driver ---> Pearl AD-08 Analogue Delay in TB loop ---> Vox AD50VT

All powered by a Diago and all on a diago gig man board

Bass - Fender American P-bass in black in maple board ---> Roland BD-700
Old 06.13.07, 7:20 AM

mingus is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had good luck using a pair of dynamic microphones in an xy pattern over the drum set and a sm57 over the snare and a md421 by the bass drum. I would build somesort of enclosure around the bass drum to isolate that mic. My suggestion would be to find a good space to record the drums. Experiment with different placement and rooms, no one thought that hanging two mics from a stairwell to record drums would sound anygood but hell, kashmir has one of the heaviest drum sounds in my opinion. I'll get off my soapbox. just expirementand have fun.
Old 06.13.07, 10:08 AM

Dr.Gonzo is an unknown quantity at this point
The beta91 is a really good kick drum mic, it gets the powerfull click from the kick. Really good for the clicky metal double bass sound, or you can get a subtle bassier sound from it.

-----------------------------------------
Hagstrøm FP200/Prs SE Santana/Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Ernieball volume-crybaby hendrix- ts-9-Turbo Rat/ MXR Blue Box/ MXR PhaserOC-3-Small Clone-Laney VC30/ Fender Deluxe Reverb
Old 06.13.07, 11:43 AM

Carlos88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Carlos88
im a drummer.. -_-

...and my girlfriend is my drummer too..when i play guitar
Old 06.25.07, 2:49 PM

anthrax233 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to anthrax233
Use beatcraft.
Easy and it sounds better than your girlfriend.
Not to be mean. but recording drums is just too hard
Old 06.25.07, 2:56 PM

anthrax233 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to anthrax233
ohh yea and if you want to hear how the beatcraft sounds in the mix go here....
www.myspace.com/rigormortismetal