Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Reply

Share/Bookmark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.18.07, 1:50 PM
zenmaster1314's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,056
zenmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Recording a Phone?

My boss wants to record phone interviews, and he asked me to find a way. So what I have come up with is using this to record the interviewee, and then a mic and a USB interface for the interviewer. I would connect the phone interface directly to the computers 3.5mm input on the soundcard, and then the mic and USB interface of course through the USB port. Then I would record it all with Audacity.

So, I would like to know if this sounds like it will work well, and if there are any better ways. And also, I want to know if there are any phone interfaces that allow you to use an RCA out or that just have an out put that could be used in stereo.

I was also thinking of using the phone interface and this.


And he wants it to be "DJ style" (clear mic'd DJ and interviewee on the phone)
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07.18.07, 8:42 PM
Moo's Avatar
Moo Moo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,655
Moo is an unknown quantity at this point
Budget? The mic you posted looks like a cheap piece of crap.

Your computer treats a USB mic as another soundcard, so it's not going to be able to record both the mic and the telephone hookup at the same time.
__________________
Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.19.07, 12:05 AM
KiwiGreen's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 594
KiwiGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good to me, but why are you using the interface and a microphone for the interviewer? it says on the site that the interface records both ends of the conversation.
__________________
-Geoffrey

guitar > some pedals > amp head > cabinet.
throw some cords in there and you're good. *thumbs up*

my gear, updated 8/17/07
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.19.07, 3:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 255
Genage is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have a mac get jack os x and reroute the audio from the internet phone app skype which can call any line to you daw.

Use your best voice mic a pro large diaphragm condenser mic would be nice.

If you dont have a mac or linux shoot yourself in the foot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.19.07, 8:19 AM
zenmaster1314's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,056
zenmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Moo
Budget? The mic you posted looks like a cheap piece of crap.

Your computer treats a USB mic as another soundcard, so it's not going to be able to record both the mic and the telephone hookup at the same time.
Budget is a max of $150. And the equipment doesn't need to be great (really can't be for that price), I just don't want it to sound like ****.

So, using a USB interface and hooking up the phone interface and a mic would work, right?

Quote:
looks good to me, but why are you using the interface and a microphone for the interviewer? it says on the site that the interface records both ends of the conversation.
So that the interviewer doesn't sound like he is on the phone. He said he wants it to be "DJ style", so the interviewer needs to sound like he is mic'd up, while the interviewee sounds like they are on the phone.

Quote:
If you have a mac get jack os x and reroute the audio from the internet phone app skype which can call any line to you daw.

Use your best voice mic a pro large diaphragm condenser mic would be nice.

If you dont have a mac or linux shoot yourself in the foot.
*Shoots self in foot* The office (aka where he would do this) is all PC, and I don't think he owns a mac.


Thanks for all the help.


Edit: What is a good SM58 knockoff? I think a condenser is out of the question on this budget.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.19.07, 9:00 AM
KiwiGreen's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 594
KiwiGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenmaster1314 So that the interviewer doesn't sound like he is on the phone. He said he wants it to be "DJ style", so the interviewer needs to sound like he is mic'd up, while the interviewee sounds like they are on the phone.
[/B]
ah, okay. so are you going to just edit out the interview audio picked up by the interface?
__________________
-Geoffrey

guitar > some pedals > amp head > cabinet.
throw some cords in there and you're good. *thumbs up*

my gear, updated 8/17/07
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.19.07, 9:05 AM
zenmaster1314's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,056
zenmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiGreen
ah, okay. so are you going to just edit out the interview audio picked up by the interface?
That's the plan.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.19.07, 12:50 PM
Moo's Avatar
Moo Moo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,655
Moo is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a Behringer ripoff of the Sm58 for about half the price. Can't remember the model number.

This might be it: Behringer XM8500 - $20.
__________________
Gentle Robot - Chapel Hill NC Rock Band

Seagull Artist Mosaic (acoustic)
Fender Strat Plus
Line 6 M9
Traynor YCV40WR
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.19.07, 2:31 PM
zenmaster1314's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,056
zenmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Moo
There's a Behringer ripoff of the Sm58 for about half the price. Can't remember the model number.

This might be it: Behringer XM8500 - $20.
Thanks.

So here is my new plan. Behringer XM8500 and the phone line --------> this -------> a USB interface ------> Computer.



Now I need to find a suitable USB interface that has RCA inputs. Suggestions? Under $60 would be nice.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.19.07, 2:38 PM
tymanrocks's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto/Kingston
Posts: 914
tymanrocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenmaster1314
What is a good SM58 knockoff? I think a condenser is out of the question on this budget.
I use Apex 381's. I attest to their quality.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.19.07, 2:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,268
DAVIDCOUPE is on a distinguished road
Phone>Guitar pickup>Wah>Fuzz>Amp>Regular Microphone>Computer

Tried it and loved it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.19.07, 2:49 PM
zenmaster1314's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,056
zenmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possibility?


Looks about all I need. Any experience with this company?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.19.07, 4:35 PM
del del is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 474
del is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used these suction cup microphones for lots of weird recordings, including successful telephone recording.
__________________
hollowbodies: 1960s kent americana - 1960s truetone speed-demon
solidbodies: 1996 fender standard james burton tele - 2005/6 squier deluxe trans strat
---> rat 2 + rat 2 + deluxe memory man + c.bread semaphore + e13 soda meiser + zvex lo-fi loop junky
OR (noisy, not true bypass at all) ---> 70s morley power fuzz wah + dod 490 phasor
---> randall commander 210 - epiphone valve junior - univox minimax u4100: 1x15

THE FALL: totally wired ++ THE FALL: big new prinz ++ THE FALL: bombast/crusiers creek
DEVO ++ THE DIRTBOMBS ++ THE KING BROTHERS
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.19.07, 6:04 PM
changefly's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 390
changefly is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to changefly
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Phone>Guitar pickup>Wah>Fuzz>Amp>Regular Microphone>Computer

Tried it and loved it.
Money.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.19.07, 6:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,459
Doctor J is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenmaster1314
So that the interviewer doesn't sound like he is on the phone. He said he wants it to be "DJ style", so the interviewer needs to sound like he is mic'd up, while the interviewee sounds like they are on the phone.
Why not go down to a radio station and ask them how they do it?
__________________
Stuff I use:
Standard Strat with Lace Hot Golds; Standard Ash Tele; Fulltone OCD, Line6 M9
My Music
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 | Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO
©1993 - 2014 GuitarGeek | All Rights Reserved