Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.12.09, 6:29 PM

superjesus117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recording with Pro Tools or Cubase or Sony Sound Forge 9, and XP VS Vista

So I had a thread up about a new home recording setup, and I was going to use pro tools and an iMac, but I want to see what you guys thought about the other two programs (Cubase and Sound Forge 9)

So pretty much whats your preference, and why

And then I want a dedicated computer for recording, and I decided against a Mac, at least for now (TO EXPENSIVE)
So what would be better XP or Vista
or more specifically, 1GB RAM on XP, or 3GB on Vista (because Averatec makes all in ones in both categories)
I know on paper the Vista ones sounds better, but XP is so much more stable, and how much RAM do you really need for editing?

Old 03.13.09, 6:54 AM

messy bedroom is on a distinguished road
I tend to like XP (pro) the best so far. however 1 gig of ram will not cut it. You wont need a lot of ram until you get up to a few tracks going at a time and then run plug ins on top of that. So if you are planning on having more than 3 tracks to a song get more ram.

I'm currently using pro tools 8 on xp pro and it works great. Cubase from my experience does a good job of audio recording and a great job with midi capabilities. Pro tools does a great job with audio and an okay job of MIDI. that being said pro tools 8 has been greatly improved in the midi dept. and unless you're already well versed with midi all the features you'll need are there.

I've never used the Sony software so I can't tell you much about it.

If you do decide to go with pro tools try and get at least 2 gigs of ram on xp, or else go with the 3 gig vista package, but make sure its vista 32 bit because it doesn't work on 64. (at least not very well yet.)

Good exchange with Cham Clowder.
Old 03.13.09, 6:55 AM

messy bedroom is on a distinguished road
oh and at least with a PC and pro tools it's easier to find free or pirated plug ins.

Good exchange with Cham Clowder.
Old 03.13.09, 6:11 PM

NoFroBro is on a distinguished road
Protools is the current industry standard.

I use Cubase but I really should make the switch. Going to other studios and being unfamiliar with the software is quite frustrating at times. Especially when things aren't going well.
Old 03.20.09, 7:59 AM

jonny-b-brown is on a distinguished road
If you aren't dead set on having everything in one package, you could do some mixing and matching, which will allow you to build up your set-up as you go and utilize the better or easier features of different programs and hardware. I did everything on my PC (with XP) for a long time, and when I found a deal on a G4, I upgraded it to 4GB of ram and dedicated it to Pro Tools. Now I just use the PC for Guitarrig, Fruity Loops, Logic and other embellishment things (or working out arrangements by myself, or MIDI stuff.) It takes up more space, but it gives me options when I want to throw down something at 2am and I'm feeling a little intimidated by the blank stare of an empty Pro Tools file.
Old 03.20.09, 8:37 AM

iaresee is on a distinguished road
I was a long time Cubase SX 3 on XP user. That was a great combination for me. Very productive environment and I was able to make old hardware (I ran it on an Athlon XP1700 system w/3 GB RAM) last many years.

I would definitely avoid Vista. You don't need the eye candy. It's largely unstable bloat. Go with XP SP3 on a 64-bit machine with 4 GB of RAM and you're looking a great platform. More so if you can score a dual CPU machine, or a multi-core machine.

As for the program: it's largely personal preference. Sound Forge, last I saw it, was not geared towards multitracking. It had no MIDI capabilities. It was a mastering and CD production tool. Cubase, Sonar, Abelton, Digital Producer -- it's all personal preference. None of them is bad, none of them is superior. ProTools is used everywhere but comes with the caveat that you have to use Digidesign-approved hardware and the hardware you buy usually limits your session size (although it's a reasonable limit).

If you're sharing tracks with studios you can just bounce each track to a separate file that starts a 0 and ends at the end of your song. That's the easist way to get around DAW incompatibilities and almost necessary even with using ProTools because you never now what plug-ins the other person owns.