Go Back   GeekChat! > HOME RECORDING > Recording Gear

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.25.09, 6:15 PM

guitarose is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up a Project Studio with proper gear!

Sorry for all the recording threads, but I'm getting more into recording..

..and me and a few friends have been asked to set up a project recording studio for a church, and I wanted opinions on this from more experienced users..it's not looking to be full pro, but good quality that can be expanded with time if needed..

The shell's already built, with a live room and control room, and there's already an iMac for a computer, so we're going to go with Logic as a DAW.

We were thinking of going for a 16 input mixer/interface like the Makie Onyx 1640 (plus the firewire card) http://www.dv247.com/invt/38011/, which is prob enough capacity for inputs for any project we might use. Would there be much difference between this and the Alesis multimix in terms of sound quality? http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_mult...6_firewire.htm.... are there any other recommendations to allow for multiple inputs at the same time?

Would it be more cost effective to get rackmounted interfacia? If so which?

The stuff I really need help with... I'm guessing we need some sort of multi-core/patchbay thing to take the xlr inputs into the live room? What exactly would this be?

Also, the room's more or less externally sound-proofed, but what's the cheapest way to deaden/flatten the acoustics inside the live room? Auralex stuff? carpet on the walls?

And are there any suggestions for monitors? I currently use Tapco S5's that I think sound pretty good, but are there opinions on these or any other monitors?

For mic's, to begin with, I was thinking of an sm57, sm58, and then a couple of condensers, which can be added to as needs change/increase, etc.. I currently mainly record with a Studio Projects B1 and am happy with the results - are there any other good mics that can be recommended?

Sorry this is a bit waffley and random in structure - please ask if anything needs clarifying and I'll do my best. Comments/info on any/all of the above would be much appreciated - thanks y'all!

For Sale/trade, PM for info:
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVIDCOUPE
Guitarose has had one for sale in his sig since i joined this ****ing site. Somebody just buy it!
Epiphone Alleykat (w/hard case)
DOD fx25B Diago gigman pedalboard (virtually as new) Boss OC-2 MXR Dynacomp

Old 03.25.09, 6:32 PM

Not meaning to bump this, but since that post's already pretty saturated, would something like this be better: http://www.focusrite.com/products/sa...affire_pro_40/... would there be a way of hooking a couple of them up if we wanted 16 inputs? Or getting a different 8 input interface and using them both?

Quote:
Guitarose has had one for sale in his sig since i joined this ****ing site. Somebody just buy it!
Old 03.25.09, 8:09 PM

iaresee is on a distinguished road
You might want to ask these questions over at: http://thewombforums.com/ -- that's my new found forum for recording information. TONS of help over there.
Old 03.26.09, 6:15 AM

Would the Sound on Sound forum be a better option? I don't like using lots of different forums - that's why I'd rather keep it here, but if I have to I have to!

Quote:
Old 03.26.09, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarose View Post
Would the Sound on Sound forum be a better option? I don't like using lots of different forums - that's why I'd rather keep it here, but if I have to I have to!
Yea, SoS would be good. Hey: submit your space and maybe they'll come in and do a makeover for you!

I can give you my opinion but it's pretty lame. I haven't touched a ton of studio gear to really know. I know I hate Mackie preamps. That I know. I'd buy Focusrite over Mackie based on that alone.

Some things to remember:

You need a control surface. Something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCcontrol/

But what about going ProTools? Say this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/003Fact/ -- that seems expensive, but when you factor in the killer plug-ins and the nice pres on it, it's actually quite reasonable.

You need a communication system. Some way to talk to the people in the other room. You need a way to give the people in the other room headphone mixes. Both a way to create one or two monitor mixes and a way to send them over and amplify them.

You need headphones for the people recording.

I've never seen a *dead* recording room. I see dead vocal boths all the time but recording rooms are always live. You might need some acoustic treatment but it's okay if the room has a personality. I think Auralex had a service where you send them your room dimensions and they make recommended treatment options and where to put them.

Your mixing room needs to be dead. Otherwise your mixing with reflections bouncing around the place causing you to not hear what's coming out of the speakers and that alone.

You asked about a patch panel to the live room. I've seen it done two ways. The cheap way:

Cut a hole in the wall in the mixing room. Big. Maybe 10 cm diameter. In the live room cut a hole in the wall, same size, but offset to the left or right of the other hole by 9 cm. That helps a bit with bleed. But it's great.

The better way:

Cut a big rectangle out of both sides of the wall. Take an aluminium (what is it with spell checkers that think aluminium is spelled aluminum?) panel and drill holes big enough to mount XLR jacks and TRS jacks. You'll need an assortment of both. Mount the male XLR jacks on the side that's in the mixing room, mount female XLR jacks on another panel that'll go in the live room. Use good quality microphone cable and solder the jacks on one panel to the jacks on the other. Screw one plate to the wall, go to the other room, fill the space with some non-conductive insulator to dampen sound a bit, and then attach the other plate to that wall.
Old 04.09.09, 7:50 PM

sorry for the late reply...

with the mounting jacks thing, surely something like that can be bought ready made and drilled into the wall, right?

Thanks for the heads up on the communication system.

Any idea how to submit the space to SOS?!

also, i know you were thinking about it, but did you ever get "mixing with your mind"?

Quote:
Old 04.09.09, 10:11 PM

Quote:
with the mounting jacks thing, surely something like that can be bought ready made and drilled into the wall, right?
Yup. See: http://www.patchpanels.info/

But why pay more?

Quote:
Any idea how to submit the space to SOS?!
No clue. Buy an issue and check the latest column?

Quote:
also, i know you were thinking about it, but did you ever get "mixing with your mind"?
Not yet. I just spent my money on a programmable looper so books have to wait. Tactile gear always wins out!
Old 04.10.09, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaresee View Post
Yup. See: http://www.patchpanels.info/

But why pay more?
ignorance... not knowing how to wire things up, etc... and hassle...

Quote:
No clue. Buy an issue and check the latest column?
d'oh

Quote:
Not yet. I just spent my money on a programmable looper so books have to wait. Tactile gear always wins out!
what looper? i'm really considering getting that book, but am not sure..

Quote:
Old 04.10.09, 9:50 AM

Quote:
what looper? i'm really considering getting that book, but am not sure..
I've heard nothing but good things about the book so it seems like a sound investment.

I got a Loop Holic 5 (see this). 5 pre loops, 5 post loops. Tap tempo via MIDI. I'm pretty stoked. Taking forever to get here....