Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Repair

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.20.05, 10:31 AM

nickcarr is an unknown quantity at this point
<< Fret Wear >>

Hey geeks!

I have an Ibanez AX120 and the frets are wearing down and now in certain spots there are small groves in them. These groves cause a small amount of string buzz. Other than the fact that I usually play it 2hrs a day on it every day for about the last 4.5 - 5 yrs, I think the problem may have been caused by stainless steel strings (Ernie Ball). Do stainless steel strings cause more fret wear? Is this just standard wear and tear? Is it expensive to "re-fret" a neck? Feed me info guys! That's why I'm here!

Oh, and don't just tell me to get a new guitar!

Thanks,
Nick
Ibanez AX-120 (Alnico II Pro neck, Screamin’ Demon bridge)- Crybaby 535Q > Digitech Whammy > Boss NS-2 > Boss MT-2 (Indy Bogner-Diezel Mod) > Aria OD-10 (80's) > Ibanez TS-7 (Indy Mod) > (FX Loop- Boss PH-2 Super Phaser > Boss DD-3 (Indy High Cut Mod) > Boss BF-3 > Ibanez CF-7 > Ibanez BCL Bi-Chorus (80’s) > Carvin SX-100watt Solid State Amp

Ernie Ball Strings
Dunlop Triangle Big Stubby Picks

My Pedalboard Pic
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2132813028

Old 01.21.05, 4:21 AM

ledfloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: << Fret Wear >>

Quote:
Originally posted by nickcarr
Hey geeks!

I have an Ibanez AX120 and the frets are wearing down and now in certain spots there are small groves in them. These groves cause a small amount of string buzz. Other than the fact that I usually play it 2hrs a day on it every day for about the last 4.5 - 5 yrs, I think the problem may have been caused by stainless steel strings (Ernie Ball). Do stainless steel strings cause more fret wear? Is this just standard wear and tear? Is it expensive to "re-fret" a neck? Feed me info guys! That's why I'm here!

Oh, and don't just tell me to get a new guitar!

Thanks,
Nick
If the grooves aren't too deep you try a Grind & Polish first before going for a re-fret job.
Fender Tele Special/Fender Performer/Danelectro 6|12 Doubleneck/Odyssey Fretless Bass/Barney Kessel Clone/Partscaster/Epi Firebird->-Mastotron->-Philosopher's Tone->-Naga Viper->-Teaser Stallion->-RAH->-Crybaby 95Q->-Egnater Tweaker 15W-[M13 in Loop]
Old 01.21.05, 5:32 PM

Can you give me details? With what do you use to grind and polish the frets? Am I supposed to just grind out the the indentation or grind the whole fret level until the dent is gone? More importantly, is this something I can screw up?

Thanks for the initial reply.
Ibanez AX-120 (Alnico II Pro neck, Screamin’ Demon bridge)- Crybaby 535Q > Digitech Whammy > Boss NS-2 > Boss MT-2 (Indy Bogner-Diezel Mod) > Aria OD-10 (80's) > Ibanez TS-7 (Indy Mod) > (FX Loop- Boss PH-2 Super Phaser > Boss DD-3 (Indy High Cut Mod) > Boss BF-3 > Ibanez CF-7 > Ibanez BCL Bi-Chorus (80’s) > Carvin SX-100watt Solid State Amp

Ernie Ball Strings

My Pedalboard Pic
Old 01.21.05, 8:40 PM

ikkyu2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by nickcarr
Can you give me details? With what do you use to grind and polish the frets? Am I supposed to just grind out the the indentation or grind the whole fret level until the dent is gone? More importantly, is this something I can screw up?
In my opinion this is something best left to an experienced luthier. It's not so much that it's difficult, as that it requires some specialized tools (large, properly radiused grindstones of different coarsenesses) that you are extremely unlikely to have lying about the house.

If you try to grind down one fret at a time, you are going to end up with very unsatisfactory results.
* BC Rich ST3 (SD Custom) -> Boogie Mark IIC+; 2 1x12 EV 12S's
I gave the Maverick to nyrkickazz1, and man, I miss that amp. IT SURVIVED! I have it back now.

Other stuff: a Ric 360/12 in baby blue; an '83 MIJ Squier P-bass; a Martin HD-28V; and now I have a Mesa Mark IV long head too.
__
"Arise, goddess; invest thyself in these, thy shining raiment, and ensconced in Phaeton's chariot float your starréd way to the Liquor Control Board of Ontario."
Old 01.21.05, 10:11 PM

Thanks Ikkyu2!

I guess I'll have to take it to the shop. Thanks for your help!

Ernie Ball Strings

My Pedalboard Pic
Old 01.21.05, 10:18 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Yeah - have a pro do it. All of the frets will have to be milled to the same level and you don't want ANY high spots.

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."