Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Repair

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.05.05, 1:07 PM
Super Moderator

joeinthebox1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ibanez FL-9 Repair?

hey, i was wondering if anybody out there would be able to repair an Ibanez FL-9.

or know *of* someone ...

thanks!

Old 01.25.05, 5:28 PM

Helmet is on a distinguished road
same problem, I picked up one for 20 euros this morning coz it doesn't work ( I would pay more if good working) the bypass works, the led is on when engaged but the effect turns dry after a pair of seconds, so pedal engaged but clean guitar..
oh I'd be glad to know how to see its year of production but I dunno how.....how? I think it's vintage :|
Old 01.25.05, 6:20 PM
Super Moderator

RUSHFANnLV is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RUSHFANnLV
There has to be a tech near you that can take a look at it. If not, send it to me and I'll have mine fix it.
Old 02.02.05, 5:57 AM

ArchII is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
the bypass works, the led is on when engaged but the effect turns dry after a pair of seconds, so pedal engaged but clean guitar..
I have the exact same problem with mine. Anyone know what is the matter with it? I checked inside and everything looks prefectly fine. And no it isn't a flat battery. Anyone?

Thanks.
ArcH.
Old 02.08.05, 4:06 PM

fixed. I've got to take it back at the local shop, more details later
Old 02.22.05, 4:06 PM
Super Moderator

joeinthebox1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
woah ... i didn't notice the responses for my thread here. hehe.

alright ... well, i just e-mailed our dear friend the FXDoctor and hopefully he'll be able to fix it for me ... or give me some suggestions on how to proceed.

and Rush ... if FXDoctor cannot fix it for whatever reason, i will be willing to send you the pedal so you can have your tech guy take a look at it.

or maybe i'll have an excuse to drive out to vegas. hahaha.

i know some guitar techs and amp techs here but nobody who does pedals, oddly enough.

in any event... thanks for the response guys!
Old 06.06.05, 4:51 PM

ok I changed the Eprom inside, and the sound changed a little (more plastic) , they were not the original eprom used for that pedal but the flanger worked anyway, so I sold it on ebay coz I didn't like that plastic tone
Old 06.06.05, 5:44 PM

Aneuretic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an old FL-9 I would sell for parts. If any of you guys are interested shoot me a PM.
Old 09.26.05, 1:41 PM

Adam Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm new here, so forgive me...

I've had a similar problem with an '80's FL-9. When I engage the pedal, I get some effect for about a second (if at all) then I get loud, poppy static, then I get unaffected guitar tone. It will bounce back and forth between this loud static and the clean tone, but it always passes a signal and the LED indicator is always on. It sounds like when you have a bad guitar jack and you twist the cable tip around in there. Helmet seemed to have the answer, but I have no idea whether or not a bad EPROM would cause the static the way this is. Did this happen to the rest of you with the static and such?

Helmet - which chip did you replace? There are a couple different ones in there, one of them being a JRC 4558 I believe. As far as I know the FL-9 I have has all the original chips. Do you know/remember which one was bad?

Thanks!
Old 09.28.05, 12:33 PM

I really don't remember which one has been changed coz I sold the pedal 4 months ago and the guy who tried to repair my pedal told some things about this eprom and the chip he had to change but never clearly, moreover he was never able to repair it completely so he gave it back to me and I sold it on ebay for 35 bucks more or less, it was getting too long to repair (and probably the flanger was gone with no solutions)