Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Repair

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.08.11, 3:06 PM

analogdrone is on a distinguished road
Replacing gibson sg special bridge

Hello all. I recently received a new roller bridge for my sg from guitar fetish to replace my tune-o-matic bridge. The tune-o-matic was consistently breaking strings so i figured a new bridge would save me in the long run. Here is my problem. The hardware for the new bridge has a bigger bushing and the screw encasement is larger than the one already installed in my guitar. Would drilling the hole that is there bigger to fit this new hardware mess up my guitar? I have had this thing forever and don't want to part with it so i'm trying not to screw this up.

Roller Bridge Black to fit les paul tuneomatic

thats the new bridge i recieved.

help please!

Old 12.08.11, 4:14 PM

Location: Southern California & Hawaii usually, but I get around
olddawg is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogdrone View Post
Hello all. I recently received a new roller bridge for my sg from guitar fetish to replace my tune-o-matic bridge. The tune-o-matic was consistently breaking strings so i figured a new bridge would save me in the long run. Here is my problem. The hardware for the new bridge has a bigger bushing and the screw encasement is larger than the one already installed in my guitar. Would drilling the hole that is there bigger to fit this new hardware mess up my guitar? I have had this thing forever and don't want to part with it so i'm trying not to screw this up.

Roller Bridge Black to fit les paul tuneomatic

thats the new bridge i recieved.

help please!

Unless you are using a tremelo unit (Bigsby, Lyre, etc), you do not need a roller bridge. You need to have the original bridge set up by a professional. It probably has a burr.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 12.08.11, 4:18 PM

Also a little pencil lead in the saddle grooves does wonders.

Pedal Board: Nady UHF 10 -> TU2 -> Rocktron Big Crush -> 70s MXR Phase 100 -> Cry Baby -> Bad Monkey -> Early '80s Rat -> Early '80s Ibanez CS 9 -> Ibanez DE 7 -> Behringer Dr 100 Stereo Reverb

Stage amps: '63 Blonde Tremolux w/ two original 2X10 cabinets with a '60 Ampeg Rocket/18 watt VTB Marshall clone/ Epi VJ into a Mashall 1965A
Old 12.08.11, 5:15 PM

analogdrone is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response.

After digging into the depths of the information super highway, I can't help but ask, why not get it installed without a tremolo? It may be unorthodox but are there any serious downsides or possible harms to my guitar with some sort of modification so it will fit? The distance between the peg holes in my guitar are the same its just a matter of size of the hole.

Last edited by analogdrone; 12.08.11 at 6:35 PM.
Old 12.08.11, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogdrone View Post
Thanks for the response.

After digging into the depths of the information super highway, I can't help but ask, why not get it installed without a tremolo? It may be unorthodox but are there any serious downsides or possible harms to my guitar with some sort of modification so it will fit? The distance between the peg holes in my guitar are the same its just a matter of size of the hole.
The reason for using a roller bridge is for tuning stability while using a tremelo unit, not string breakage. Thousands and thousands of players use the standard bridge without breaking strings excessively. Many will tell you that roller bridges change your tone and rob you of sustain because they do not cleanly terminate the strings and have a different mechanical coupling to the body. My point is the problem with the original bridge is probably a common, easy, inexendive fix. Why reinvent the wheel? But do what you want by all means.