Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.25.04, 7:37 PM

b.scott is an unknown quantity at this point
Acoustic Guitar->Pedalboard->PA?

I'm going to be the resident guitar guy at a summer camp and I have a few questions about setup. It's going to be a long trip, so I have to keep my gear to a minimum. An electric guitar and amp i more or less out of the question. Ideally, my rig would look something like this:

Active preamp of acoustic guitar-> direct box-> Paralell out to my pedalboard and into the PA, balanced out directly to the board.

I'd control the mix of the wet signal to the PA by using a volume pedal. That way I'd have a dry signal all the time, and could add in as much wet as I'd like, most likely creating synthy type swells with delay on sustained chords. I know the wet signal won't sound amazing, acoustic guitars aren't made for pedals... But will it work? Would puting another direct box after the pedalboard significantly improve my tone?

Also, I'd like to be able to use the same pedalboard and acoustic guitar to practice my more electric oriented stuff. Again, I know it won't sound wonderful, but would an acoustic guitar sound absolutely horrid through a distortion pedal, a DI , and into the PA? Does anyone else use a rig like this? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Old 03.25.04, 8:20 PM

Formica is an unknown quantity at this point
The main problem distorting acoustics is the feedback. If you can solve this, you'll be fine there. It probably also depends on the pedal, but i've used a Shredmaster and a TBD with average results. It's not going to sound great, but it'll sound okay at least...
Boss SYB-3 - Analog synth sounds on both bass and guitar - $100
Boss OD-20 - I wouldn't part with it if there wasn't a near-identical section in the GT-8. This thing is loaded with usable sounds. - $110
Tablebeast Patch-bent SK-1 synth - Modified sample keyboard with a patchbay for realtime circuit bending. As used by Aphex Twin, Nine Inch Nails, Devo. ... see ebay store listing new here, and the official tablebeast site with mp3s here - $200 or i'm open to trades
Marshall Vibratrem - $30
Dunlop JH1 Jimi Hendrix wah - $45
Old 03.25.04, 8:22 PM

i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Acoustic Guitar->Pedalboard->PA?

Quote:
Originally posted by b.scott
Also, I'd like to be able to use the same pedalboard and acoustic guitar to practice my more electric oriented stuff. Again, I know it won't sound wonderful, but would an acoustic guitar sound absolutely horrid through a distortion pedal, a DI , and into the PA? Does anyone else use a rig like this? Thanks for any help you all can offer.
Formica is right about the Feedback. If you're going to use Distortion then you'll probably need to avoid facing the Speakers at all or it will squeal. You could always try using one of those Feedback buster things where you put a plastic cap across the hole, but if your pickups are under the bridge that wouldn't have an effect.

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx
Old 03.25.04, 9:12 PM

mikekash is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikekash
why use effects at a summer camp? it's not like the kids ar going to care. I bet half the time there wont even be a pa (there wasnt one when i went to summer camp.)
Old 03.26.04, 1:33 AM

Yeah, I've definately considered the feedback issue. For the most part, I'll be behind the main speakers though, and I don't think the volume is high enough to cause much problem. I guess my big thing was heading off any danger to the equipment, and where to place the DI box(es) for the best possible sound.

Mike: For the most part, you're right. Effects would be mostly for my own personal enjoyment. But I will be playing on a PA for the majority of the time. We usually run well over 200 campers, plus a large staff. It's hard to hear one acoustic over 250+ voices. We've been lucky enough to have a rather large pavillion donated with a nice stage and sound system. I was a camper there before it was built, and it's hard to imagine what we ever did without it.
Old 03.26.04, 1:39 AM

For the record, the pedalboard should look something like this:

Carvin DI box-> Ernie Ball volume-> Vox V847 (TB and AC power)-> some sort of digital delay-> ProCo RAT2-> MXR Phase 90 (reissue).

I don't have the delay or the RAT yet, they're still quite tentative.