Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.25.05, 2:34 PM

Kalaab is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Guitar Synthesizer Pedal?

I've agonized over this for years. I've tried pedals in combination, vocoders, and stand-alone synth units, and I still don't know if I've found what I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm using the EHX Micro Synth, which is essentially a one-pedal version of the Boss Slow Gear, a filter pedal, an Octave pedal, and a Fuzz unit. Does it get any better than that in the realm of stomp boxes?

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have a Korg X911, but even then I'm not sure that I'd be satisfied.
Am Std. Strat (Lace Sensors Gold/Silver/Blue, GFS Delay Mod Board) -> Pignose Detonator > Ibanez TS7 (TS9 setting) > Ibanez TS7 (Hot setting) > Rocktron Vertigo > Danelectro Reel Echo > Vox Valvetronix AD50VT

Old 06.25.05, 5:11 PM

viedub is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best Guitar Synthesizer Pedal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalaab
I've agonized over this for years. I've tried pedals in combination, vocoders, and stand-alone synth units, and I still don't know if I've found what I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm using the EHX Micro Synth, which is essentially a one-pedal version of the Boss Slow Gear, a filter pedal, an Octave pedal, and a Fuzz unit. Does it get any better than that in the realm of stomp boxes?

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have a Korg X911, but even then I'm not sure that I'd be satisfied.
i know someone who uses an ibanez bass synth and it sounds pretty good
Old 06.25.05, 5:11 PM

SteveR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SteveR
boss gt3 or gt5
Old 06.25.05, 5:23 PM

ck3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveR
boss gt3 or gt5
... or GT-8

Also, the Akai Deep Impact is pretty impressive ... though it's designed to track a bass signal ... so you are limited to a guitar's lower range.

Wanted:
EHX Ring Thing; TC Electronic Nova Delay; Sunn Beta Lead Head; compact expression pedal; Schecter Hellcat VI
Old 06.25.05, 5:26 PM

SteveR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SteveR
Quote:
Originally posted by ck3
... or GT-8

Also, the Akai Deep Impact is pretty impressive ... though it's designed to track a bass signal ... so you are limited to a guitar's lower range.
I just named the gt3 and 5 because they are very cheap and feature those roland VG algorithyms or wahtever that crap is.
Old 06.25.05, 5:26 PM

Re: Re: Best Guitar Synthesizer Pedal?

Quote:
Originally posted by viedub
i know someone who uses an ibanez bass synth and it sounds pretty good
The thing that a lot of box-based synthesizers lack is true editability. Given, it's hard to dial in Decay on a signal that naturally decays, but I wasn't satisfied with the playability of the Ibanez unit at all. I've also tried the SYB-3 and the Digitech Synth Wah, which were pretty much of the same suit as the Ibanez Bass Synth.

The GT series multieffects are decent, but the editability is too unlike an old-school analog synth.

Essentially, the EHX Micro Synth is as good as it's gotten for me, and it's not especially satisfying. Maybe I'm being too picky, but there's got to be a non-MIDI method of turning a guitar into a reasonably "realistic" synth.
Am Std. Strat (Lace Sensors Gold/Silver/Blue, GFS Delay Mod Board) -> Pignose Detonator > Ibanez TS7 (TS9 setting) > Ibanez TS7 (Hot setting) > Rocktron Vertigo > Danelectro Reel Echo > Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Old 06.25.05, 5:29 PM

ASHJN is an unknown quantity at this point
For intense synthesizing, check out the Roland Guitar Synths like the GR-20 and GR-33
Old 06.25.05, 5:35 PM

ck3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Best Guitar Synthesizer Pedal?

Quote:
The thing that a lot of box-based synthesizers lack is true editability. Given, it's hard to dial in Decay on a signal that naturally decays, but I wasn't satisfied with the playability of the Ibanez unit at all. I've also tried the SYB-3 and the Digitech Synth Wah, which were pretty much of the same suit as the Ibanez Bass Synth.

The GT series multieffects are decent, but the editability is too unlike an old-school analog synth.

Essentially, the EHX Micro Synth is as good as it's gotten for me, and it's not especially satisfying. Maybe I'm being too picky, but there's got to be a non-MIDI method of turning a guitar into a reasonably "realistic" synth.
The GT-8 has two different faux analog syntheisizer effects, each with multiple modes/waveforms/parameters/etc.

Wanted:
EHX Ring Thing; TC Electronic Nova Delay; Sunn Beta Lead Head; compact expression pedal; Schecter Hellcat VI
Old 06.25.05, 5:40 PM

That may be worth looking into. It's harder than hell to get a guitar synth to do anything besides sine- or square-wave.
Old 06.25.05, 6:11 PM

Aenima9990 is an unknown quantity at this point
*cough*FM-4*cough*
Old 06.25.05, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ASHJN
For intense synthesizing, check out the Roland Guitar Synths like the GR-20 and GR-33
I'm looking for a non-data route. The only conceivable path for a data-centric synthesis metod (like the GK pickup series) would be to go from the pickup to a synth with a proprietary 13-pin input and a standard MIDI 5-pin output, and from there to an analog synthesizer with MIDI-in. I hate to think of having to have a synthesizer unit that's used exclusively for converting 13-pin into 5-pin. I love my Rolands, but I refuse to be a sucker over a technology that's just a glorified version of a serial connection that's been around since 1983. So, in a word, thanks but no thanks.
Old 06.25.05, 8:03 PM

Aenima9990 is an unknown quantity at this point
have you ever looked into the fm-4 though?

The Synthomatic setting has a different analog synth model at every notch in speed.

The synth string and attack synth are similar, in the sense that they have a ramp time.
Old 06.25.05, 9:14 PM

Tecx is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the deep impact does kick ass... And I am ::cough:: selling one ::cough::

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by ck3
... or GT-8

I am listning to:
This Heat - (their entire catalog)

Founding member of the Charly Bronsons
Old 06.26.05, 1:14 AM

Formica is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best Guitar Synthesizer Pedal?

Quote:
You would be, but not for all synth sounds. I have one on my board, and while the tracking is lousy, the sounds are absolutely amazing. Totally phenominal...

...And yet I have an SYB-3 on my board too (replacing with a GT-8), and right now, 2 Space Stations. Different requirements need different tools, you see? For certain uses, the x-911 is the holy grail. But if you want polyphony or totally accurate tracking...
Boss SYB-3 - Analog synth sounds on both bass and guitar - $100
Boss OD-20 - I wouldn't part with it if there wasn't a near-identical section in the GT-8. This thing is loaded with usable sounds. - $110
Tablebeast Patch-bent SK-1 synth - Modified sample keyboard with a patchbay for realtime circuit bending. As used by Aphex Twin, Nine Inch Nails, Devo. ... see ebay store listing new here, and the official tablebeast site with mp3s here - $200 or i'm open to trades
Marshall Vibratrem - $30
Dunlop JH1 Jimi Hendrix wah - $45
Old 06.26.05, 5:44 AM

Ice age coming is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ice age coming
i tried a Boss SYB-5 yesterday and i got those new daft punk sounds haha. Boooww Booow.

After 5 minutes i thought it was kind of boring tho. And it reacts slow to my picking.

m0n0m3n
slaves of doctor ironhead