Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.02.06, 9:27 AM

Jubilee Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jubilee Man
Best Sounding Auto Wah?

First I want to say I know VERY little about effects. Give me a tube amp and I'll tell you the make model, and quality...but put me in front of an effects board, and I'm lost.

I recently bought, and then sold, a POD Xt/pro rack unit.

the ONE thing that really jumped out at me in the short period I had the unit (2 days) was how FUN it was to play with the Auto Wah. I always felt they were just gimmicky toys, but the fidelity of the line 6 auto wah was rather surprising.

SO, I'm asking you geeks for some quick help. What is the best Auto Wah out there? I'm looking for as good or better than the line6 podxt version. Is the MoogerFooger one good for guitar?

I doubt I'll ever use this thing much, but it was so much fun to play with, I might actualy consider using it live...

Please let me know of any suggestions.

Old 03.02.06, 9:44 AM

ThinPaperWings is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ThinPaperWings
I think there are one or two clones of the DOD 440 filter that aren´t that expensive. Or you could try to find an original. That´s a decent, classic filter.

I use and like the Frostwave Funk-A-Duck. It just might be better with drum machine, but you can get a lot of mileage out of it. Plenty of options. Fairly expensive though.

The Lovetone Meatball is now back in production for a ridiculously high price ($540? I think...) It has a trillion options, probably more than you would ever want.

I also like the Pigtronix EP-1. It has a great sound but not as many options as the Lovetone or the Frostwave or the EHX QTron, for that matter.

There are obviously quite a few more boutique (Menatone Mail Bomb, Emma, etc.) and mass produced envelopes that people could recommend, though
Fender Custom Tele>GigRig Dual Loopy>1>ZVex Ooh Wah>Mayer Spitfire>Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone>EHX POG>Subdecay Prometheus>Catalinbread Teaser Stallion>EHX Small Clone>Cbread Semaphore>Jacques Prisoner>Subdecay Echobox>2>Visual Sound Rt 66 (Mk III)>Barge BB-Jr.>Subdecay Noisebox (3 knob)>Boss GE-7 Sniper>Prisoner 2>Pigtronix Echolution>out>Barge Concepts DB-2>Dr. Z KT-45>Dr. Z 2x10 Convertible Cab
Old 03.02.06, 10:16 AM

firewalk13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to firewalk13
Well in my opinion, the mutron III is tops. The reissue is fantastic though pricy ($230) and is more flexible than the original (not to mention 30 years newer.) However the old dod fx25s are very good (i've never played the new fx25b,) but the first production run fx25 I have is fantastic and cheap.

Good Deals W/: farpavillions
Old 03.02.06, 10:39 AM

TheFlash is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to highly recommend the Jacques Trinity for all your filter/auto-way guitar needs. It sounds awesome, and you can do some unique stuff with the included expression dome...even standard wah sounds.
Old 03.02.06, 2:55 PM

salari is an unknown quantity at this point
DOD 440's are best in my opinion but of course they're rarer than Iranian Gin salesmen, the filter isn't overbearing, they're great for funk, and perfectly accent overdrive/distortion (think Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead). I have a clone pedal made by Brian Barker that's been made to the same specs as the DOD 440 albeit with a Boss style power jack, it's great, but I barely use it.
Old 03.02.06, 3:11 PM

bucky is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you looking for an auto wah or an envelope filter?

Last edited by bucky; 03.02.06 at 3:51 PM.
Old 03.02.06, 3:31 PM

Jubilee Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jubilee Man
Quote:
Originally posted by bucky
Are you looking for an auto wah or an envelope filter?
I'm not exactly sure the difference. But I betcha i'm looking for an envelope filter.

I want the effect where the harder you hit a string, the more treble comes in (the top of the "waH"... the "stevie wonder" effect if you will.

(BTW, I looked up the POD Xt's "auto wah" effect, and its SUPPOSED to be modled after the Mutron III. So I think that the direction I should head. Anyone have experience with the ibanez/maxon AF-9? Other forums mention they are GREAT sounding units extremely close to the original mu-tron III)
Old 03.02.06, 3:48 PM

You're looking for an envelope filter.

The Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron is supposed to be very close to a Mutron III.
Old 03.02.06, 4:24 PM

TastyPasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Robotalk without a doubt.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.co...ith/index.html

On the way: 62 Strat, Deluxe Reverb, Clyde Wah, Mini Q tron, Strobostomp, DLS Rotosim, EHX Deluxe Memory Man.
Old 03.02.06, 4:42 PM

rhcp311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rhcp311
I'd say the Q-tron is probably a safe bet, since it sounds pretty close to the Mutron.
Old 03.02.06, 5:33 PM

acoustic_frippy is an unknown quantity at this point
There's the EHX Doctor Q and Mini-Q in addition to the Q-Tron and Q-Tron +, along with the Tube Zipper.

There's the AF-9 too with the Maxon RI and the Ibanez originals.

Edit: There are the Dunlop Auto Q and Q Zone too.

Quote:
Originally posted by teleman
*waiting for frippy to find this thread*

Last edited by acoustic_frippy; 03.02.06 at 6:16 PM.
Old 03.02.06, 6:57 PM

firewalk13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to firewalk13
the term "auto-wah" was coined by the designer of the mutron III, they were going to call it the auto-wah or the mutron. Envelope filter is more the technical name. The mutron reissue isn't much more than the q-tron. The Dr. Q's and similar do not have the versatility of the q-trons, mutrons and others. Listen to a live version of the dead's estimated prophet for a good sample of the mutron III.

Good Deals W/: farpavillions
Old 03.02.06, 8:02 PM

rhcp311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rhcp311
Quote:
Originally posted by firewalk13
the term "auto-wah" was coined by the designer of the mutron III, they were going to call it the auto-wah or the mutron. Envelope filter is more the technical name. The mutron reissue isn't much more than the q-tron. The Dr. Q's and similar do not have the versatility of the q-trons, mutrons and others. Listen to a live version of the dead's estimated prophet for a good sample of the mutron III.
I thought they were two different effects? I thought that an auto-wah changed the sound at a certain rate and an envelope filter changed the sound according to your picking dynamics or volume, is that wrong?
Old 03.02.06, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhcp311
I thought they were two different effects? I thought that an auto-wah changed the sound at a certain rate and an envelope filter changed the sound according to your picking dynamics or volume, is that wrong?
That's what I was led to believe as well.
Old 03.02.06, 9:18 PM

robotskank is an unknown quantity at this point
Try and find a Boss T-Wah, supposedly a really good auto wah, unlike the newer boss auto wahs.