Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.20.09, 4:52 AM

jm417 is on a distinguished road
Chandler/BK Butler Tube driver

Ok, so I'm the gear/tech guy in my band, and my lead player has been talking about Gilmour's tone lately (mostly Comfortably Numb and Welcome to the Machine) and I noticed that he has used a tube driver. At what point, i'm not sure, but it was almost definitely after the recording of both. I've actually been looking for a tube based overdrive for some time and these are the most common, yet also the most highly regarded units i've come across. Problem is, there are tons of different versions of the circuit. Three and four knob pedals, rackmount, Chandler, Butler and Tubeworks. Since I haven't actually played through one, I am hoping that some of you geeks in the know can help me with which one to buy. I'm leaning towards the rackmount at the moment. Partly because they can be had for cheaper and partly because I think it is easier to fine tune. I'll probably only use it for recording btw. Any ideas?
Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville

Old 11.20.09, 3:09 PM

Loopster is an unknown quantity at this point
This one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-DRIVER-NEW-...item414abb9c04

Make your guitar rigs and/or pedalboards sound better, work better, and look better!
Old 11.20.09, 4:17 PM

jm417 is on a distinguished road
yikes! $375 with the bias option is a little expensive. What do you think about one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Chandler-Tube-Dr...item27ad081273
Telecaster/USA Stratocaster/Gibson LP Std>Korg Pitchblack>Fulltone Clyde Deluxe>Hermida Zendrive>Rockett Pedals FlexDrive>Hollytronics Triangle Big Muff>MXR EQ>MXR Phase 90 script RI>DMB Pedals Lunar Echo>TC Electronic Nova Reverb>BBE Sonic Stomp>Mesa Dual Rectifier>Weber MASS 100>Avatar 2X12 w/V30's

Other stuff: Alvarez MF80C, Keeley TS9 and DS-1, Devilworks Jezebel, Deja Vibe, POG2, Vox V848, Spring Chicken, Tone Bender, '68 Fender Blender, Shredmaster, Small Clone, Fender Hot Rod Deville
Old 11.20.09, 6:25 PM

bside2234 is on a distinguished road
I think I read somewhere that the Chandler units were built different/wrong as compared to the original TD. I think it was an interview with Butler himself. Not sure about the rack units though. I have an old TD and it is a very nice overdrive. I would use it more if it didn't run on AC.
Old 11.21.09, 4:03 PM

nightraven is on a distinguished road
^ that's true for the pedals. the ones that don't have BK's name on them are the chandler rip offs (not to be confused with the ones made under chandler that do give credit to BK, like you see on gilmour and EJ's boards - these are awesome). i talked to BK and he told me that there wasn't as much of a difference between chandler and BK/chandler rackmount tube drivers. but, more so than the pedals, the BK racks are far rarer than the chandlers and have more mojo.
i used to have a BK rackmount TD and it was very very nice and incredibly versatile, but i sold it and bought an original BK pedal (from the chandler days but before chandler started copying the design -i.e. the gilmour/EJ pedal) and i like it more actually. it's nowhere near as finicky as the rackmount one so it has awesome tone all the time, and it's pedalboard friendly. my pedal has the original yugo ecc83 inside too
tubeworks was BK's company after the fiasco with chandler and the tube drivers are the same as the ones BK made before. the 3 knob pedals are alright. i much prefer having the more tweakable EQ and it's well worth spending that bit extra to get the 4 knobber.
if you plan on just using the TD in the studio you should pick up a rackmount one. a word of advice - when you get to recording with it - play around with different tubes inside it, it's a totally different animal with something mellower inside (one of the advantages of having the bias control).
Old 11.21.09, 4:16 PM

bside2234 is on a distinguished road
I also picked this up a while ago for very cheap (see attachment). It was a combo amp someone took out of the cabinet. I just got around to working on an enclosure for it. I am turning it into a head and cabinet instead of a combo. I got a new reverb tank and am building the speaker cabinet right now.
This amp is great. It's like a Tube Driver built into it and the blend knob is cool.
Sorry to go off tangent here.

The tube in mine makes a slight difference in the sound. Very good pedals if you ask me and I would get more of them if I could pick one up cheap enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.jpg (201.7 KB, 6 views)