Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09.03.06, 12:59 PM

carl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Distortion Pedals Vs Amp Distortion

Like a lot of people here I love my stomp boxes, however I cant decide if I should get a beautifully clean valve amp and a handful of distortion pedals or a valve amp with all the distortion I need.

i.e. Fender Twin Reverb Vs ENGL Screamer Combo

I think the advantage of having an amp like the ENGL is that I can switch between 4 channels without having to turn one off and another on. Unlike having stomp boxes where I would have to get a line selector to do this.

What does everybody else do?

Old 09.03.06, 1:17 PM

Tenine is an unknown quantity at this point
The advantage of pedals is that you can always change the tone of the distortion.
With an amp, you're stuck with however many channels you get.

You can always get a Distortion and an Overdrive and use them together.
You've got 4 different tones right there.
Old 09.03.06, 1:55 PM

toma is an unknown quantity at this point
ive opted for the latter. it works fine for me.

i use a hot rod deluxe, the distortion channels lame, but it has so much headroom clean, that its worth it.

tx

s/t: LINK
good deals with: Berarduur, Hides-His-Eyes,
Old 09.03.06, 2:51 PM

jonbye is on a distinguished road
I find you can really compliment one with the other. I love the sound of my crappy ss amp overdriven but it doesnt cut it enough for lead, while my ds 1 copy is great for lead but is a little thin. So, i take the amp half way up and reduce distortion and hey presto! Its the same sorta theory as why so many people use tube screamers. If you mix the two you can often get the best out of your amp and you've got more options. So in conclusion, my opinion is both!

"...We should be wasting that space with another discussion about something truly useful, like tits or religion or something......." - Fiveways
Old 09.03.06, 9:44 PM

rxstomp is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know if the delux is the same ... but i have a deville and i like the distortion on it i mean... you can always buy both thats what i did i have a distortion pedal and amp distortion ... the downside to having it on the amp is its not running through with the effects so say your using a delay your going to get a diffrient effect with a stomp box or amp distortion.
Old 09.03.06, 9:49 PM

screamingdaisy is on a distinguished road
I've yet to find a dirt box that sounds as good as tube distortion.

To me, pedal dirt tends to sound a little harsh and thin. Tube dirt sounds smoother and more dynamic.

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab
Old 09.03.06, 10:01 PM

rxstomp is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree i have tube distortion and i loveee it but like i said the one down side is its not running through the rest of your effects...
Old 09.03.06, 11:18 PM

veer chasm is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to be a channel distortion proponent, but I've started using a Fulldrive along with it so I am a "both" fan now.
Old 09.04.06, 12:28 AM

Aureate_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a both as well. I like the overdrive on my amp [Peavey Classic 50] but I also like the way it takes a Rat.

Oh and remember...you cant really change the clean tone. So if you need a clean tone...make sure it has a good one, because thats alot less changeable than dirt.
Old 09.04.06, 4:25 AM

Granty Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by screamingdaisy
I've yet to find a dirt box that sounds as good as tube distortion.

To me, pedal dirt tends to sound a little harsh and thin. Tube dirt sounds smoother and more dynamic.
I agree totally.

I only ever use my DS1 to boost the natural overdrive sounds from my amp. With two dirt channels on my amp, this gives me four distortion sounds, all of which seem better to me than pedals on their own.
Gibson LP Classic, Fender Mexican Standard Strat, Ibanez S320> Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Boss TU-2, SPF Ego Booster, Keeley BD-2, EH Graphic Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss LS-2, Ibanez AD9, MXR Carbon Copy, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, EH Small Stone Nano, Boss CE-5 in loop of LS-2 > Marshall TSL 122

Other gizmos - Boss OS-2, Roger Mayer Mongoose Fuzz, Boss GE-7, Marshall SV-1 Supervibe, Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, Dunlop Crybaby, EHX LPB1 Nano, Boss DS-1, EH Small Stone, EH Holy Grail, Boss BF-2
Old 09.04.06, 6:11 AM

toma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by rxstomp
i dont know if the delux is the same ... but i have a deville and i like the distortion on it i mean
mi deluxe clicks when you turn the distortion on. also the distortion seems a bit weak.

i was thinking about the 2x12,

oh well

tx

s/t: LINK
good deals with: Berarduur, Hides-His-Eyes,
Old 09.04.06, 6:49 AM

ashjamben is an unknown quantity at this point
My amp's only one channel, which can go from clean to slightly overdriven. So for distortion i HAVE TO use a dirt box....
Old 09.04.06, 7:09 AM

GDan is an unknown quantity at this point
I just like pedal chains, I dont like effect loops.

Totally irrational but there you go.
Old 09.04.06, 7:30 AM

pinkerton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to pinkerton
It really depends on my mood. Basically, everything depends on my mood("Diablo 2 is the best ever" and "**** DIABLO 2" are both very common thoughts in my head).

However, with my full rig I use both. I have the lead channel on my Mark II, which really is more of a mid gain sound for me, and then I use a dimed D+ for when I want feedback/noise/other fun stuff.

Amp drive sounds "better", but I find gain boxes to have a bit more personailty. Honest, if some one made an amp and the lead channel sounded like a fender blender, it would be one of the most hated amps on the planet. So, pedals that are harsh sounding have a better market where as amps that are harsh sound have numetal kids.

Quote:
Originally posted by Talent?!
I'd shoot in her mouth like a Nirvana suicide.
Homophobia is gay.
Old 09.04.06, 9:03 AM

grOOved is an unknown quantity at this point
I use an ENGL fireball, with an overdrive and a distortion (pedals) before it (see the sig).

Even though the ENGL has a sh*tload of distortion, it's difficult to control volume levels (the fireball doesn't have a volume for distortion, so the volume in relation to the clean channel varies with the volume), and the ENGL distortion...sounds like ENGL , and I wasn't looking to that kind of sound lately.

I got my cooltrons for versatility, and the results are:
1-my amp clean sounds amazing
2-the OD and the distortion sound amazing through my clean amp (but they sound thin through my Marshall VS-100R, which I have at home for practice...)

I hardly use the amp's distortion these days. Even though it's excellent sounding.