Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04.10.06, 4:20 AM

teleblasteruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Keeley Rat Mod WOW

Took delivery of a keeley mod Rat II last week. I already own a Rat II and was shocked at just how much better the MOD was.

If you use a rat now i highly advise getting an upgrade.

If anybody else has the MOD Rat II what settings do you use coz there is huge variants on this model???

Old 04.10.06, 7:22 AM

Aphoniser is an unknown quantity at this point
Its been a while since I used a keeley Rat, but...

I used the left-most setting with high volume, high filter, low distortion for a boost-mild distortion, and used the middle setting with the dist. and filter facing each other (ie, dist on 3 o clock, filter on 9 o clock) and the volume boosted for a nastier distortion. I may have gotten the three-way switch settings confused, though.

The guy that actually owned the pedal and I a/b'd it with an 80s rat, and couldn't tell much difference with the Keeley on the standard setting. When I modded my deucetone with an LM308 chip, I tested it against the same 80's rat and got exactly the same sound again. Just food for thought, I suppose

Korg DT-10 > Danelectro French Toast > Proco Deucetone Rat > EHX NYC Big Muff > Ibanez FL-9 > Dunlop TS-1 > Artec ADL2 analog delay

Zoom RT-223 > Keeley Boss DD-3 (behringer FX-100 in delay loop)

Musicman 75w 210 combo
Old 04.10.06, 7:02 PM

lobsty is on a distinguished road
hmmmm I've been thinking about this for a while...
What's the bottom end like? the low cut on the rat is one of the few things I don't like about Rats : fine for lead, not for rhythm.
Dynamics?
And basically, are there any drawbacks to the mod or is it all good news?
Old 04.10.06, 8:55 PM

Blown_A_Wish is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally find the Keeley Mod on the Rat a bit over-rated. For the price anyway.

My rig thread

My Set Up

Guitar: Fender Jazzmaster (Candy Apple Red)

Effects: Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory > Zvex Super Hard - On > Marshall Shredmaster > Boss SD1 DevilsFX Mod > Pro Co Rat II > Boss DD3

Amplifier: Peavey Classic 30
Old 04.10.06, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown_A_Wish
I personally find the Keeley Mod on the Rat a bit over-rated. For the price anyway.
In what way? Not a particulartly great sound or just not much better than the stock? Or was your rat better pre-mod?
Old 04.11.06, 5:17 PM

Blown_A_Wish is an unknown quantity at this point
I didnt find it much better than the stock. For the price Robert Keeley asks. I personally think the biggest part he charges you for in his mods is his name. Like his SD1 mod...I got a mod done on my SD1 by DevilsFX for way under half his price and a much better sound.

My rig thread

My Set Up

Guitar: Fender Jazzmaster (Candy Apple Red)

Effects: Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory > Zvex Super Hard - On > Marshall Shredmaster > Boss SD1 DevilsFX Mod > Pro Co Rat II > Boss DD3

Amplifier: Peavey Classic 30
Old 04.11.06, 9:35 PM

zacharybroyles is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to zacharybroyles
i had the right chip in my Rat II but changed about 4 parts and added a switch for clipping and it kills. I probably spent 5 bucks total on modding it....the thing that takes the most time is taking the pedal apart.

Gear: Fender John Mayer Stratocaster / Gibson LP Special Jr (Lindy Fralin P90s) / Epi Elite SG / Fender Mustang RI -- Boss TU-2 - *Budda Bud Wah - Fulltone OCD - Keeley Katana - BBE Green Screamer - *Boss DD-3 - Line 6 DL-4 - EH Holy Grail -- Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 -- *Denotes Modded

Pictures
Wed Design Site
Old 04.11.06, 9:42 PM

skodt dePram is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by lobsty
one of the few things I don't like about Rats : fine for lead, not for rhythm.
Funny, a lot of user reviews say the opposite.

In the 90s I used a vintage Rat & our other guitarist used a Rat 2. His just seemd to lack the 'sweet spots' mine had ... but I've heard at least the older models were pretty inconsistent.

I think it's a fine and dynamic pedal.
Hamer SATF (burstbuckers #1 & #2) -> throbak stone bender fuzz/od -> EH Memory Toy -> Bugera 1960 -> homemade 412 w/V30s.
Old 04.12.06, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skodt dePram
I'm talking specifically about the lack of bass there : aside from that, Rat's make great rhythm pedals. On the other hand, I think a Rat with low gain and full volume into a an already dirty amp is a killer lead sound. I recorded a solo the other day with strat - tc sustain+parametric - rat - peavey c30 - old bassman cab and I was blown away with the sound. One of the better recorded lead sounds I've gotten. (although to be fair the tc was a key ingredient too - either way, the pair of them rocked!)

Last edited by lobsty; 04.12.06 at 4:20 PM.
Old 04.14.06, 9:41 AM

jayjay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by skodt dePram

In the 90s I used a vintage Rat & our other guitarist used a Rat 2. His just seemd to lack the 'sweet spots' mine had ... but I've heard at least the older models were pretty inconsistent.

I think it's a fine and dynamic pedal.
I have an 80's RAT2 and it just doesn't compare to the newer ones.

Some people say it's just snobbery but I disagree, when I try stuff out in the shop I always ask to try it with a RAT 2 (because its my main gain unit) but the ones in the shop NEVER sound as good as the one in my rig.

I've thought about getting mine modded but it's so hard to find another like mine, I'm a little scared of screwing with it.

TU-2>RAT2>Boss GE-7>MXR Phase 90>Boss FV-50(vol)>>Boss RE-20 Space Echo>Cranetortise Booster

Vox AC-30 CCH
Marshall cabs

http://profile.myspace.com/secondtempo

http://myspace.com/distantearthj
Old 04.14.06, 5:49 PM

Mine's an old one too, which also meakes me hesistant about the mod. It seems one of the things that gets changed with is that he puts in the old chip instead of the newer ones. I've already got the old one so what's the point? Think I'll be steering clear.
Old 04.24.06, 8:51 PM

nostar000 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know i'm not really contributing to this thread at this point, but i just bought a keeley modded rat.

i am very, very familar with the old rats with the correct IC's... i use one in the studio 3 or 4 times a month.

btw, older rats were very inconsistant in tone.