Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04.15.05, 12:44 PM

jhc is an unknown quantity at this point
Volume pedal placement

Any of you guys put your volume pedal last (or later) in your chain to be able to control your delay's self-oscillation?

There shouldn't be any problem with that, right?

Old 04.15.05, 1:08 PM

dawz1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Volume pedal placement

Quote:
Originally posted by jhc
Any of you guys put your volume pedal last (or later) in your chain to be able to control your delay's self-oscillation?

There shouldn't be any problem with that, right?
unless you are using the volume pedal as an expression pedal for your delay, you won't be able to control the oscillation per se...

if you put the volume after the delay, then you can control the volume of the oscillation... so if thats what you're thinking of, then yep it'll work just fine

fender mim strat / squier double fat strat -> catalinbread teaser stallion -> ibanez de7 -> proco rat II -> proco rat RI -> behringer fcv100 -> boss ps3 -> ibanez pm7 -> line 6 space chorus -> danelectro tuna melt -> ibanez de7 -> digitech digiverb -> zoom 508 delay -> line 6 dl-4 -> traynor ycv40-wr

now
http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...threadid=56958

old
http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...threadid=41947
Old 04.15.05, 1:26 PM

Re: Re: Volume pedal placement

Quote:
Originally posted by dawz1978

if you put the volume after the delay, then you can control the volume of the oscillation... so if thats what you're thinking of, then yep it'll work just fine
Yeah, that's what I was thinking- thanks. Looking back, it was a pretty stupidly obvious question

It just seemed that most people put their volume first - guess a broader question might be is there any relative advantages/disadvantages to putting a volume pedal early vs. late in the signal chain.
Old 04.15.05, 2:05 PM

HumblestPie is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting it first is basically like replacing the volume knob on the guitar. It's useful for multi-amp setups and such.
Walk with the Devil - old Delta blues players referred to guitar amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts devils and demons. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

Captain Beefheart's 4th Commandment of playing the guitar
Old 04.15.05, 2:27 PM

anoren is an unknown quantity at this point
I have my volume pedal first to use it as an "expression" pedal for my Fuzz Factory. It can be used to control the gain (go from clean to saturation) and when the FF is self oscillating, it can be used to control the pitch. I also just use it for muting (for tuning) and regular old volume swells.

If I wasn't using the FF, I guess I would probably have it last. If if you want to be able to tame self oscillation (volume wise), it seems like a logical possition.

adam
'02 Fender Jaguar (American Reissue); '74 Gibson SG (w/ bigsby; Harmonic Design Neck Z-90, Bridge Humbucker)->Ernie Ball Volume (Boss TU-2 in tuner out)->ZVex Fuzz Factory-> Ibanez AD-9 -> Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso-> Uncle Spot Tube Reverb Unit ->Orange AD15/12 (w/ Celestion Blue Alnico; Area 51 Tube Tremolo)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/169966825NrhdJf
My Band's Site:
www.academyny.com
www.myspace.com/academymusic
Old 04.15.05, 2:30 PM

DuoSonicII is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by HumblestPie
Putting it first is basically like replacing the volume knob on the guitar. It's useful for multi-amp setups and such.
What he said. The only thing that I would put before my volume pedal would be an octave pedal (or any other effects that require the strongest signal possible for good tracking). But I like to use my pedal in lieu of using the volume knob, for swells or for turning down the volume a bit for quiet parts. You can use it later in the chain, but like any other pedal it will act differently depending on what is before and after it. I'm not against putting it further down in the chain - experimentation is the key, and it just depends on what you're going after.

Axes: 2002 Fender American Deluxe Tele / 1965 Fender Duo-Sonic II / 1966 Fender Musicmaster II (modded w/ HB) / 2003 Fender Jazzmaster CIJ / 1950s Truetone (Kay) hollowbody / Ovation S771 acoustic
Amps: Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI / 1964 Gibson GA-30-RVT Invader (35W)
Current GAS: Quality fuzz pedals, Ibanez 10-series pedals, Pearl pedals, Dano Fish & Chips EQ (+ other minis?)
Looking to Sell: 1987 G&L ASAT, 1970s Ovation Viper, Boss DD-3
Old 04.15.05, 3:02 PM

Yeah, swell are important too (I have a Gibson, cant really do it with my guitar volume knob) - will have to play with it....
Old 04.15.05, 7:11 PM

intorvert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to intorvert
Make sure you've got the right kind of volume pedal. You need high impedance after your guitar, but low impedance after pedals. Unless you have active pickups. Then you need low all around.

my "bands": Liars' Conspiracy and Big Mary Screwdriver
Old 04.16.05, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by intorvert
Make sure you've got the right kind of volume pedal. You need high impedance after your guitar, but low impedance after pedals. Unless you have active pickups. Then you need low all around.
I have an Ernie Ball VP Jr. I tried it both ways, and decided that delayed volume swells were much cooler than the self-oscilation (at least for the particular sone I have in mind).

So the volume pedal is going to stay first in the chain.

Interesting about the impedance - makes perfect sense, although my volume pedal seemed to work after the dealy OK. Was I frying it or something?
Old 04.17.05, 12:43 AM

dawz1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jhc
I have an Ernie Ball VP Jr. I tried it both ways, and decided that delayed volume swells were much cooler than the self-oscilation (at least for the particular sone I have in mind).

So the volume pedal is going to stay first in the chain.

Interesting about the impedance - makes perfect sense, although my volume pedal seemed to work after the dealy OK. Was I frying it or something?
I run mine after my gain pedals and before my delays/reverb.... This way I can also swell in gain when needed... works quite well, you may want to try it

fender mim strat / squier double fat strat -> catalinbread teaser stallion -> ibanez de7 -> proco rat II -> proco rat RI -> behringer fcv100 -> boss ps3 -> ibanez pm7 -> line 6 space chorus -> danelectro tuna melt -> ibanez de7 -> digitech digiverb -> zoom 508 delay -> line 6 dl-4 -> traynor ycv40-wr

now
http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...threadid=56958

old
http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...threadid=41947
Old 04.17.05, 7:56 AM

Jelly is an unknown quantity at this point
I have mine at the end of the chain (i have no dirt pedals) so it boosts the amp accordingly...and lets me shut up any noisy pedals at the end of a song.

Looking for-
Poweramp, of any description, under £220 preferably, PM me!

Have done business with-
Manfrommars
Jamie.Pope
(I also have 100% feedback on ebay, my name on there is Jelly4000)

Feel free to gimme a shout at pyromaniac_jelly@hotmail.com (on msn or email)